Serious FrundTech Anniversary Approaching

Should FrundTech's revival be given a second chance?

• Yeah, I think it was a cool concept.

• No, bad idea.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mito

Quark
Nebulae
I know that FrundTech is a theme/subject that has been thrown around quite a lot since its removal, but with the anniversary of its re-creation coming up in a couple of months I would like to bring it up at least once again. I have been talking about FrundTech with quite some ex-members of the gamemode and almost every time they stated their experience of the server positive. The idea itself and the gamemode was very diverse and versatile, it could have been a very popular SeriousRP scheme, but there was a fatal issue with it that got it removed. I know that a lot of ex-FT players use the argument "staff was bad", but I'd like to take one step further. Please don't mistake my thread for a "let's shit on the server directors" thread. I am not intent on insulting or shittalking neither @Toasty or @Powley or any specific member of the staff team of FrundTech. What I am trying to say is FrundTech's general staff wasn't properly kept in check regularly and it led to people getting fed up with the unfairness/monotonity of the gamemode. Circlejerk was able to form due to the absence of strict monitoring and some of the staff (emphasis on 'some') abused their powers to get IC advantages over the majority.

Yes, it does make sense that staff are generally more trusted with privileges, both IC and OOC, but what privileges they are allowed should be granted by the people above them and not by themselves. I've seen many times specific staff members returning from scripthunts with shotguns and a mountain of scrap due to some of them favoring one another while spawning scripts while a good amount of players were stuck with used toothpicks to live on. The good staff were present as well, though, such as @Pict who created diverse and enjoyable events almost on a daily basis, usually giving some form of reward as bonus even. I think that the circlejerk could have been prevented by making a weekly schedule of who does spawns on what day, or we could have made it so that only a person/people with a specific rank could spawn them so if there were a lot of staff with a hundred scripts there could be someone held responsible instead of people being able to dismiss it with a "dunno wasn't me".

And now you may be thinking "oh this guy is just mad cuz he never found any good scripts and thinks it was the issue". But I would like to point out that this circlejerk/favoritism was everywhere. There were staff creating T6 mutant characters out of the blue and regularly rping with them instead of just having them as a disposable character for an event or anything of the like. There were some lolpking characters for stupid reasons because they held grudges on a player (I saw these first hand). And I know that this is the reason, because I personally manage the server of a very popular community for ~7 months now and managing its staff in general for almost a year now as well (won't name community for obvious reasons) where we give much more power to staff without any of them abusing because they are being kept in check.

In short, FrundTech was a very good concept that could've been big but got ruined by bad management. Then WW3 was chosen over it, which is now dying as well. I'm not saying switch down WW3, but I just want to see FrundTech given another chance with a different, more carefully filtered staff team. I would love to hear everyone's feedback both negative and positive as long as its kept civil.

D

Deleted member 1381

If I'm being honest I don't even know what FT is

Then WW3 was chosen over it, which is now dying as well.
no, a server dying is when you get a max of about 7 people or less a day
WW3 reaches around 30-45 a day, that's not a good number

Mito

Quark
Nebulae
there was only one T6 mutant and that was @Ace, and it was not "out of the blue"

I don't know which character you are referring to from the user, but I'm fairly sure there were multiple T5 and T6 mutants that have never taken the first steps before.
[doublepost=1517696551][/doublepost]
If I'm being honest I don't even know what FT is

no, a server dying is when you get a max of about 7 people or less a day
WW3 reaches around 30-45 a day, that's not a good number

Let me correct myself, then. It's dying to how active it was for a while at first. It still has a semi-decent amount of players but the playerbase is undeniably dying down.
[doublepost=1517696628][/doublepost]
you mean a fourth chance?
no

I said "FrundTech's revival" and not FrundTech for a reason.

rang

aussie turk
Nebulae
I don't know which character you are referring to from the user, but I'm fairly sure there were multiple T5 and T6 mutants that have never taken the first steps before.
I am absolutely sure this wasn't the case as I was mutant lead at the time and was the one to promote Ace to T6 - and he was the first T6 mutant. I do not remember any T6 mutants other than Ace (except event characters). There were T5 characters but none of them were given straight up T5 because they were "staff".

I still have access to the mutant spreedsheet and can take screenshots if you wish. There was one T6 mutant and three T5 mutants.
All of them advanced through their tiers and none of them were given T5 straight on.

Mito

Quark
Nebulae
I am absolutely sure this wasn't the case as I was mutant lead at the time and was the one to promote Ace to T6 - and he was the first T6 mutant. I do not remember any T6 mutants other than Ace (except event characters). There were T5 characters but none of them were given straight up T5 because they were "staff".

I still have access to the mutant spreedsheet and can take screenshots if you wish. There was one T6 mutant and three T5 mutants.
All of them advanced through their tiers and none of them were given T5 straight on.

You were the mutie manager for a while, true but as far as I know only for some time and there were others after you who people weren't too happy with.

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
It sounds like the gamemode was fairly reliant on hardworking staff(if staff was a contributing factor to it ending). Would there be a way to balance the mechanics to take that burden away from the staff to some extent?

If you wanted to drum up more support for it then you could explain what the experience of the gamemode was like. I barely played it so I didn't find the fun parts of the gameplay. If I liked the sound of it I might take an interest, and likewise other people might be keen to have a look at a new serious roleplay experience(if they could read up about it).

People have said that WW3RP has been dying for years, and sure enough it's died several times, but it keeps getting back out of the coffin. It was deleted, then BnT stopped running it, then LemonPunch stopped running it, then After Flash stopped running it, and it's certainly changed over the years, so it wouldn't be easy to estimate a life-span for it.

Mito

Quark
Nebulae
It sounds like the gamemode was fairly reliant on hardworking staff(if staff was a contributing factor to it ending). Would there be a way to balance the mechanics to take that burden away from the staff to some extent?

If you wanted to drum up more support for it then you could explain what the experience of the gamemode was like. I barely played it so I didn't find the fun parts of the gameplay. If I liked the sound of it I might take an interest, and likewise other people might be keen to have a look at a new serious roleplay experience(if they could read up about it).

People have said that WW3RP has been dying for years, and sure enough it's died several times, but it keeps getting back out of the coffin. It was deleted, then BnT stopped running it, then LemonPunch stopped running it, then After Flash stopped running it, and it's certainly changed over the years, so it wouldn't be easy to estimate a life-span for it.

Well in very short and basic, FrundTech was a gamemode which took place in post-apocaliptic north america after a large company doing undercover paramilitaristic and pharmaceutical businessing developed a mutagen turning people into horrific feral monsters, and in some rare cases giving them specific powers/mutations while not harming their conscious. The server itself followed a village's worth of survivors trying to stay alive, moving settlement to settlement all the while FrundTech covertly kidnapping some and actively looking for mutants to capture and test on. You could be a survivor trying to stay alive, finding yourself a role in the settlement be it a trader, hunter, gravekeeper, mayor, you name it, or you could be a FrundTech scientist, which meant actively researching and developing the mutagen or anything completely independent from it, and if you were lucky enough you could be a paramilitaristic contractor at FrundTech. You could form your own faction of survivors and if you got enough members you would be allowed a uniform and stuff like that. There were very interesting events as well, like at mapchange which involved an army of men dressed in black trying to purge the entire settlement, or the time when Frundies were capturing settlers in a huge sandstorm. The maps were very diverse as well, some taking place in a forest, another in a desert, and one in a larger city.
[doublepost=1517701603][/doublepost]
you must be talking about qzrp or something. the ftrp that was launched on this community had either @rang or @Spitfire as their last mut lead

Found it in my convos, @ZailSvale was a manager for a while too apparently.

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Ace

angsty teen looking for attention
Nebulae
Well in very short and basic, FrundTech was a gamemode which took place in post-apocaliptic north america after a large company doing undercover paramilitaristic and pharmaceutical businessing developed a mutagen turning people into horrific feral monsters, and in some rare cases giving them specific powers/mutations while not harming their conscious. The server itself followed a village's worth of survivors trying to stay alive, moving settlement to settlement all the while FrundTech covertly kidnapping some and actively looking for mutants to capture and test on. You could be a survivor trying to stay alive, finding yourself a role in the settlement be it a trader, hunter, gravekeeper, major, you name it, or you could be a FrundTech scientist, which meant actively researching and developing the mutagen or anything completely independent from it, and if you were lucky enough you could be a paramilitaristic contractor at FrundTech. You could form your own faction of survivors and if you got enough members you would be allowed a uniform and stuff like that. There were very interesting events as well, like at mapchange which involved an army of men dressed in black trying to purge the entire settlement, or the time when Frundies were capturing settlers in a huge sandstorm. The maps were very diverse as well, some taking place in a forest, another in a desert, and one in a larger city.
[doublepost=1517701603][/doublepost]

Found it in my convos, @ZailSvale was a manager for a while too apparently.
that was in the beginning if i recall correctly, and i dont think he was for toooo long.

shibe

Molecule
Nebulae
problems:

* no real goal, in hl2rp you can become a loyalist or defeat le combines, there wasn't a set out plan in frundtech
* the main faction which the story was about, frundtech, was rarely seen and was basically WI rp
* mutants didnt work out
* unmotivated/bad staff

YALL REMEMBER THE RAT GANG
@goobypls @afran @Mr Snuggles
killing scavengers since 1961

now what was good about frundtech rp?

* the massive amount of freedom, in hl2rp you need to ask auth for every little stuff you wanna do, in frundtech you could just do everything
* great fun
* sort of western feeling like fallout new vegas, idk, i feel like that was captured really well

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Personally I would want to explore different Apocalypse roleplay schemas these days, such as Metro 2033/ last light/ exodus.