Helix HL2RP Framework

A. Vaher

I make events of varying quality
HL2 RP Administrator
Premium Member
Nebulae
Alright, I have no idea what I am doing. I'm experimenting with the base items and stuff(making an item work like a new model when you use an item or some crackers consumable), but I've got some questions about bodygroups and storage items. One, how do I get bodygroups to change after putting on a new shirt, and Two, how do I give storage items different amounts of space?
I feel like this should be incredibly obvious to me but I've never touched lua or anything like it before so I'm lost.

Reactions: List

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Alright, I have no idea what I am doing. I'm experimenting with the base items and stuff(making an item work like a new model when you use an item or some crackers consumable), but I've got some questions about bodygroups and storage items. One, how do I get bodygroups to change after putting on a new shirt, and Two, how do I give storage items different amounts of space?
I feel like this should be incredibly obvious to me but I've never touched lua or anything like it before so I'm lost.
Use the helix discord for help

Deleted member 28

What a pathetic string of words
Nebulae
don’t use the helix discord, it’s filled with the classic elitist coder stereotypes that say it’s only for “experienced coders” and they only talk about how they “don’t have time to teach people” how to do stuff

you’re better off finding an individual person who is experienced with helix and asking them for help

or better yet code with something that is actually well documented and updated (and isn’t lua) with a friendly userbase like unity

A. Vaher

I make events of varying quality
HL2 RP Administrator
Premium Member
Nebulae
don’t use the helix discord, it’s filled with the classic elitist coder stereotypes that say it’s only for “experienced coders” and they only talk about how they “don’t have time to teach people” how to do stuff

you’re better off finding an individual person who is experienced with helix and asking them for help

or better yet code with something that is actually well documented and updated (and isn’t lua) with a friendly userbase like unity
I've noticed a few people sort of like that while digging through old server messages for plugin links and obscure problems but I can't become a server member anyway(No working phone)so I'm learning through what I see and experiment with so I'd say my way of trial and error is more fun and teaches me more in the long run anyways

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae

It's not our job to teach people basic lua, we make it very clear that the framework and Discord isn't for inexperienced people.

It is well documented but I look forward to your pull requests with further documentation.

Also unity documentation, lol. Guess you haven't tried unity.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae

I didn't know it was elitist to expect people to know how to use the language a framework is made in before they use it

It's the helix discord not the teach me LUA so i can use helix discord

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I've noticed a few people sort of like that while digging through old server messages for plugin links and obscure problems but I can't become a server member anyway(No working phone)so I'm learning through what I see and experiment with so I'd say my way of trial and error is more fun and teaches me more in the long run anyways

Just make sure the trial and error is leading you to something that works. I don't know if you've coded before (LUA or else) but trial and error is not a trustable learning method when you don't have basic guidelines and obviously someone to correct you.

Want me to be honest, if you've never done proper coding, make sure to begin with well documented languages and maybe make something very basic that works to pick up the general logic of coding.

Otherwise if you've coded before, I'd say you get yourself into some LUA and then try your hand at stablished mods and frameworks (remember to make sure they're open and public access in case you want to publish anything you create).

Deleted member 28

Nebulae
It's not our job to teach people basic lua, we make it very clear that the framework and Discord isn't for inexperienced people.

It is well documented but I look forward to your pull requests with further documentation.

Also unity documentation, lol. Guess you haven't tried unity.
A large swath of the PLUGIN hooks aren't documented and if trying to edit anything with the framework itself, which is absolutely necessary to do many things, just isn't supported by you whatsoever

I'm not necessarily saying you should strive to be more like unity since it'd obviously be unfair to expect any independently funded group to perform on par with a multimillion-dollar corporation, but it undeniably has better documentation and has a community that is willing to help inexperienced people

I didn't know it was elitist to expect people to know how to use the language a framework is made in before they use it

It's the helix discord not the teach me LUA so i can use helix discord
And that's fine, however if you have time to type out "sorry bro, don't have time to teach you lua" to someone who is asking a simple question you can probably just answer their question without being a cock, or even crazier just make a text channel for general lua questions

Lua is very rarely used in game development, with gmod being one of the few (relevant) games that use it, the other being roblox. I simply see no reason to encourage new people to use your framework, rather than reinforce this mentality that you have to be an expert programmer to use it

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
rather than reinforce this mentality that you have to be an expert programmer to use it
That's the exact opposite

Lua is easy to learn, why do you think gmod's workshop exploded the way it did???? Because Lua is one of the easiest languages to learn

Which is why you shouldn't expect to be taught it

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
A large swath of the PLUGIN hooks aren't documented and if trying to edit anything with the framework itself, which is absolutely necessary to do many things, just isn't supported by you whatsoever
That's because plugin hooks can quite literally be anything and aren't a specific set, they also include the hook names that are built into GMod which someone would know how to reference if they are experienced with lua; your answer further proving that experience should be required to work with the framework.

Here's a list of all the GMod hooks that you expect us to document: https://wiki.facepunch.com/gmod/GM_Hooks
Here's a list of Helix hooks: https://docs.gethelix.co/hooks/plugin/

If we're missing some and you're critical of that, great news! The project is open-source, that's right! You can make a pull request to add documentation to existing functions or any that we've missed.

Thanks for contributing to Helix!

Deleted member 28

Nebulae
That's the exact opposite

Lua is easy to learn, why do you think gmod's workshop exploded the way it did???? Because Lua is one of the easiest languages to learn

Which is why you shouldn't expect to be taught it
When you have a great many instances of people telling someone how obvious a solution to a problem is in a condescending manner, all while completely avoiding just giving the person a solution to work towards truly makes me feel that the discord simply has a toxicity and elitist problem
3f5dc3f7bf8612f055f6ba3bd206ff98.png

60ab52c9d6447d3823f442a4f58b6ef1.png

pretty sure that a solid 50% of the content in the support channel is people telling others that they have to have experience with lua, there are literally 3 pages of replies of people copy/pasting the FAQ sentence that says you need intermediate lua knowledge

if you have the time to copy and paste a sentence you probably have the time to copy and paste a link help people out, but the discord simply does not have a semblance of common decency

That's because plugin hooks can quite literally be anything and aren't a specific set, they also include the hook names that are built into GMod which someone would know how to reference if they are experienced with lua; your answer further proving that experience should be required to work with the framework.

Here's a list of all the GMod hooks that you expect us to document: https://wiki.facepunch.com/gmod/GM_Hooks
Here's a list of Helix hooks: https://docs.gethelix.co/hooks/plugin/

If we're missing some and you're critical of that, great news! The project is open-source, that's right! You can make a pull request to add documentation to existing functions or any that we've missed.

Thanks for contributing to Helix!
Alright great, but the fact that it's open source doesn't solve issues for new people. My initial post was about how the helix discord doesn't provide a shred of assistance for someone who is new to lua or coding in gmod... which it seems you agree with

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Nice posting of what I replied, notice how the error says a class doesn't have a faction? I wonder what on earth that means.. when they made the class, maybe they didn't set a valid faction for it? Woah. Crazy that the error is telling you what is wrong.

Alright great, but the fact that it's open source doesn't solve issues for new people. My initial post was about how the helix discord doesn't provide a shred of assistance for someone who is new to lua or coding in gmod... which it seems you agree with
It's not a Discord for GMod coding support, it's for Helix and if you aren't experienced with GMod then you are going to struggle.

It is a FREE framework, you can make snide remarks about support all you like but I don't see you in there attempting to help in your free time.

It's honestly hilarious that you have absolutely no clue about lua or debugging errors but think you're able to judge.

Again I look forward to your pull requests in the coming days adding documentation and you becoming an active member of the Discord to provide support. If that's not going to be the case, kindly fuck off because you have nothing of value to add, thank you.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

I'm not necessarily saying you should strive to be more like unity since it'd obviously be unfair to expect any independently funded group to perform on par with a multimillion-dollar corporation, but it undeniably has better documentation and has a community that is willing to help inexperienced people

And that's fine, however if you have time to type out "sorry bro, don't have time to teach you lua" to someone who is asking a simple question you can probably just answer their question without being a cock, or even crazier just make a text channel for general lua questions

Lua is very rarely used in game development, with gmod being one of the few (relevant) games that use it, the other being roblox. I simply see no reason to encourage new people to use your framework, rather than reinforce this mentality that you have to be an expert programmer to use it
I know nothing about code but the references for gmod are extremely easy to use and have helped me make my own things and edit others with zero experience
the helix discord isnt for people new to lua, it's for people that are working with helix. this is at the top of the FAQ
cBLjcrx.png

Deleted member 28

Nebulae
classic

I’m personally just surprised that you don’t see how your absolutely abysmal attitude towards virtually everything drives people away from not only the communities you’ve run, but any sort of project you’ve released. It’s no wonder that the only maybe 3-4 experienced, knowledgeable developers in the helix discord share the same insufferable attributes

Just about every previous staff member on nebulous and dev I’ve spoken to agrees on this front. You simply do not take criticism well (or at all) and refuse to admit shortfalls. From your perspective, nebulous servers died because the playerbase wasn’t enthusiastic enough and helix and the community along with it are fantastic

Maybe your constant telling of people to fuck off doesn’t actually make a positive contribution to the wellbeing of your projects

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
classic

I’m personally just surprised that you don’t see how your absolutely abysmal attitude towards virtually everything drives people away from not only the communities you’ve run, but any sort of project you’ve released. It’s no wonder that the only maybe 3-4 experienced, knowledgeable developers in the helix discord share the same insufferable attributes

Just about every previous staff member on nebulous and dev I’ve spoken to agrees on this front. You simply do not take criticism well (or at all) and refuse to admit shortfalls. From your perspective, nebulous servers died because the playerbase wasn’t enthusiastic enough and helix and the community along with it are fantastic

Maybe your constant telling of people to fuck off doesn’t actually make a positive contribution to the wellbeing of your projects

Or maybe you've made your opinion inside an echo chamber of people who, like you, had disdain towards Alex and his works for whatever reason. Honestly speaking, the attitude doesn't change much here considering it's clearly pointed out that you need to know LUA prior to working with Helix, but still maybe, and just maybe, when someone insists on antagonizing someone, they'll end up acting sour against them.

Take it this way, this started in relation to knowing or not how to code and work with Helix, and you've turned it into an attitude related issue (well me and the people I've spoken to think that you are a **** and a ******!!). I'm a fucking pain in the ass, I can tell you that much, I am repetitive, slow on the uptake at times and sometimes way too enthusiastic about my things, and Alex hasn't ever told me to "fuck off". You claim someone has to correct their attitude but you've never looked into a mirror and wondered if maybe this person's attitude has something to do with your approach to them, because the way I see it:

You're the one who acted aggressive and with an "absolutely abysmal attitude" in the first place.

Someone has told you something 20 times. You've gone and tried to push your discourse on them once again. That same person goes and replies to you things are the way they are for a reason (you see, 3-4 people, open source work, no money, no time, a job on top of the development... doesn't really allow someone enough time to write a whole encyclopaedia of beginner-friendly documentation and ON TOP OF THAT teaching them how to do things) and you try to accuse them of something. After you nag them for 40 minutes, you get a response that you don't like, focus on a point (in this case, a "fuck off") and make it the focus of your argument (you're a horrible person!). Do you seriously find this illogical or senseless? If I was him, I'd have just ignored you 3 posts earlier, I'm not good at talking to walls.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
classic

This is the classic response of ignoring every point somebody's made and latching onto the most irrelevant part but I'm not surprised by that because you clearly don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about and are usually just here to fish for reactions under the guise of "criticism".

Go do something productive with your time or go outside (It's my polite way of telling you to also fuck off)

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
classic

6ycq0t.gif

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
classic

I look forward to your contributions to the Helix framework.