Helix HL2RP Framework

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Weird how despite Alex apparently being a fucking goblin who drives everyone off that the two biggest servers in the HL2RP sphere besides Neb use Helix and have coded some of the most impressive technical stuff I've seen in the gamemode on it lol

Literally every person I've known who's sat down and worked with Helix for their projects got over their problems after a bit of trial and error and went on to do cool stuff. This includes people who had only passing knowledge of LUA beforehand.

Reactions: List

Deleted member 4609

Doomboy / Femguy
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Never knew what lua even was when I first got my hands on the framework and after a month of asking simple questions and spending that whole time fucking with shit until it broke and needed a fresh install or until I made something new and cool I went from knowing nothing to understanding how at least critical components worked and ways to shape and change them without much effort.

It was enough to make a new very much functional gamemode that I'm still incredibly proud of to this day given I've had zero programming or development experience before the project started. If I ever did let it see the light of day I'm sure what's there would've been enjoyable for a lot of people, the 10-15 people that helped test the thing sure as hell loved it giving fucking around was all we did for weeks on the server without much issue.

I'm sorry but if my retarded ADHD ass can do it by just sitting down and looking through all the files / code and tinkering to see cause and effect over the course of two months I see no reason why if you're not planning on making something incredibly extravagant and mechanically intensive (probably should be paying someone to do it for you if you're struggling that much like everyone else) you'd have that much difficulty you start going postal on the people behind the framework and it's support.

It really isn't that hard man, I feel like people asking the stupid questions never tried finding the answers themselves first. I'd say maybe 80-90% of the shit I got stuck on was solved by searching through the helix discord for similar questions or looking at how someone else got over the issue in their plugin or something.

Deleted member 4609

Doomboy / Femguy
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Although I will say @Aspect™ looking at my code like this wont ever get old rofl
913361686474416129.webp

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
I seethe a little each time someone mentions the documentation. It's not complete by any means, but there isn't really any other gmod project on this scale that has this amount of documentation to begin with.

As someone who has written most of the docs, it sucks. There's a fuckload of functions and they all have to be explained in a short and concise way. Don't forget the function parameters too. Probably sprinkle in some examples to clarify. Some cross references to other related functions. Maybe a paragraph or two dedicated to explaining a concept that's reused throughout the framework. Don't forget the classes, too!

Then you get to the tooling to compile, render, and deploy all the documentation. Surprise surprise, they all look like shit and are super rigid so it's difficult to get the results you want. I had to fork LDoc to add new stuff because the creator abandoned it (and nobody was maintaining at the time). Side note: I also had to fork the linter because the creator fucking DIED

All this with about 2 and a half pull requests to improve the documentation because who in the world enjoys writing loads of really verbose technical jargon. It's just easier to complain and call it shit while brushing off the work that people have put into it.

You get asshole responses because you're disrespecting the time of people who are under no obligation whatsoever to help, but are still taking time out of their day to provide support anyway. The discord was made to help people with helix problems, not gmod problems. I cannot fathom why that's worthy of criticism - this stance was made very obvious from day 0. It's the same reason why we don't also have a general chat: that isn't what the discord was made for.

Now you get to this point where you've put in a considerable amount of effort, but people still can't follow simple directions like "search for your problem in the FAQ first". Apparently very few people can be arsed to search for a relevant keyword in a single channel with three messages. There's tons of useful information in there that I wrote specifically to save myself (AND YOU) time. A SOLID 80% of questions have already been answered, but it's "faster to just answer the question again".

It's also faster for me to not bother. Or in essence: fuck off

Last edited:

A. Vaher

I make events of varying quality
HL2 RP Administrator
Premium Member
Nebulae
I like how this was posted when I had the least idea what I was doing, then I learned a good amount more, and now it's devolved to anger
Good ol' internet
Time to poke at the derma file

Last edited:

A. Vaher

HL2 RP Administrator
Premium Member
Nebulae
Don't worry I just deleted that file
Didn't need it anyway

A. Vaher

HL2 RP Administrator
Premium Member
Nebulae
Alright if anybody knows what might be going on
I'm using the nutscript scanner plugin port for scanners and the spotlight function(just the flashlight pretty much) has tied itself to the flashlight "ITEM:Hook("drop", function(item); item.player:Flashlight(false); end)" function, or simply the flashlight itself. Can't trigger the spotlight except for when I drop a flashlight out of the inventory, for both turn on and turn off. Don't understand it and y'know thought I'd ask the lads.
(Probably something really simple but I'm really tired)

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I'm using the nutscript scanner plugin port for scanners and the spotlight function(just the flashlight pretty much) has tied itself to the flashlight "ITEM:Hook("drop", function(item); item.player:Flashlight(false); end)" function, or simply the flashlight itself. Can't trigger the spotlight except for when I drop a flashlight out of the inventory, for both turn on and turn off. Don't understand it and y'know thought I'd ask the lads.
Genuinely this is not the place for Helix support.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
clockwork is better anyways

Zeenz

Atom
Premium Member
Nebulae
It's not our job to teach people basic lua, we make it very clear that the framework and Discord isn't for inexperienced people.

It is well documented but I look forward to your pull requests with further documentation.

Also unity documentation, lol. Guess you haven't tried unity.
Off topic but man some modules for like other code languages have less documentation then helix and that shit is for companies so helix does good job lmao

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Off topic but man some modules for like other code languages have less documentation then helix and that shit is for companies so helix does good job lmao
Nah, we definitely dickheads with poor documentation