HL2RP² Lore Questions Thread

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
conflict will always breed the most amount of fun, because it gives purpose. why do we passive all this time and create connections and set ourselves up with gear if not to actually go out and have a conflict? Every action story has a enemy, and your end goal is to eliminate this enemy. why make it different here?

see i disagree
conflict gives me anxiety attacks
at least, conflict in which i am not OOCly sure of the outcome, and the outcome could be someone stomping on my character's head without my consent while an admin holds a metaphorical gun to my head going "you will watch this or you will be banned"

Reactions: List

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
see i disagree
conflict gives me anxiety attacks
at least, conflict in which i am not OOCly sure of the outcome, and the outcome could be someone stomping on my character's head without my consent while an admin holds a metaphorical gun to my head going "you will watch this or you will be banned"
i mean that's the game. i dont come here to rp sitting on a cafe i do that in real life already

but its not gonna be just combine vs rebels there are ways around it and it will never turn into combine vs rebels because thats not how staff and the playerbase wants it solely

Last edited:

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
can OTA work against combine? looks kind of impossible since combine wipes their human memory but would be cool if it was possible
like in Entropy Zero

What you see in Entropy Zero is a character that has been given the gift of the protagonist

OTA's mindset is contrary to working against the combine, they think, have their own independent thought processes and such, but the MMRs keep them in check

It'd be a case of seeing how psychosis affects the character you portray, in the event it happens (during captivity and/or lack of Combine Lean).

Regarding your comments, @MaXenzie:

You lose part of your character and in exchange, roleplay something else. Your character is half dehumanized, surely he's not a full fledged soldier but he's augmented and brainwashed.

I think a roleplayer should be able, with experience, to manage and properly portray any character they're given - People roleplay zombies and antlions too, these are more advanced than them of course, in a way that they have thought processes and opinions and morale about their performance and the one of those around them, their enemy, their allies and the Combine itself.

Just because you're not purely human it doesn't mean you're a robot, that's a misconception everyone has made for themselves in this community for God knows what reason (past iterations and the likes?).

On the topic of adversary roleplay, well, humanity against the Combine is quite literally the whole premise around Half-Life 2, while I understand your point we're not aiming for this to become a purely deathmatch server, you can stay at your base, walk around the map and stuff. You can perform non-combat related roles.

Once you choose to join the Combine, you know full well you will eventually end up as a grunt (or RL, leading others into the freakshow). That's a choice you make, a path you may experience. Each path has an end. Regardless, the whole "this will end your character" is a bad conception of the case, as I said, you just pass onto roleplaying it differently; your loyalty unquestionable, and you are more professional, but still a character you can play.

However, everyone has their likes and dislikes, nobody will force you to join a side you dislike.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
What you see in Entropy Zero is a character that has been given the gift of the protagonist

OTA's mindset is contrary to working against the combine, they think, have their own independent thought processes and such, but the MMRs keep them in check

It'd be a case of seeing how psychosis affects the character you portray, in the event it happens (during captivity and/or lack of Combine Lean).

Regarding your comments, @MaXenzie:

You lose part of your character and in exchange, roleplay something else. Your character is half dehumanized, surely he's not a full fledged soldier but he's augmented and brainwashed.

I think a roleplayer should be able, with experience, to manage and properly portray any character they're given - People roleplay zombies and antlions too, these are more advanced than them of course, in a way that they have thought processes and opinions and morale about their performance and the one of those around them, their enemy, their allies and the Combine itself.

Just because you're not purely human it doesn't mean you're a robot, that's a misconception everyone has made for themselves in this community for God knows what reason (past iterations and the likes?).

On the topic of adversary roleplay, well, humanity against the Combine is quite literally the whole premise around Half-Life 2, while I understand your point we're not aiming for this to become a purely deathmatch server, you can stay at your base, walk around the map and stuff. You can perform non-combat related roles.

Once you choose to join the Combine, you know full well you will eventually end up as a grunt (or RL, leading others into the freakshow). That's a choice you make, a path you may experience. Each path has an end. Regardless, the whole "this will end your character" is a bad conception of the case, as I said, you just pass onto roleplaying it differently; your loyalty unquestionable, and you are more professional, but still a character you can play.

However, everyone has their likes and dislikes, nobody will force you to join a side you dislike.

in truth if the server has any % chance of someone being able to walk up and permanently end my character, i don't play on the server

i think I've played HL2RP three times seriously, and each time i took manic depressive breaks of about 6 months apiece after losing a character

its why I'm excited for the gta server because if someone wants to kill my character i can just tell them to fuck off and walk away

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
in truth if the server has any % chance of someone being able to walk up and permanently end my character, i don't play on the server

i think I've played HL2RP three times seriously, and each time i took manic depressive breaks of about 6 months apiece after losing a character

its why I'm excited for the gta server because if someone wants to kill my character i can just tell them to fuck off and walk away

become a fellow tribal and live forever in the indomitable human spirit

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
become a fellow tribal and live forever in the indomitable human spirit

honestly i run Discord RPs and D&D games at this point

GmodRP has always been too hostile for me, i don't like letting someone i don't trust decide the fates of my characters

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae

All I can say is, you won't be PKed just for being shot by someone of the opposite side, unless you are capture (just retreat?) and it is seriously unhealthy to take a game that seriously. Also you're not forced to go out into combat, either, and if you are, you won't be PKed for dying (imagine it's an event and everyone goes rambo on eachother, why would that end up as PK? we'd remove half the characters if not more).

I once lost a character to some unlucky turn of events, and sadly it was a character even today I think "damn the things I could've done", but that's like, the point of it for me: There's a part you can't control, makes things more spicy for me, more exciting, and if I lose my character I'll just make another and try other flavours, for the sake of variety and avoiding stagnation among other things.

It's like reading a book while writing the story at the same time, but if the story goes on for too long and becomes repetitive, it just gets old for me.

Nebulae

well sadly that’s what makes hl2rp beautiful because if we go constantly in wars with combine without loosing our characters the server would’ve end up with constant gun fights.
The risk of dying makes characters important to the server and makes you create a bond with them.
i hope you get to experience loosing someone important in game that you’re character had very close connection too, it feels worse than a break up.

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i hope you get to experience loosing someone important in game that you’re character had very close connection too, it feels worse than a break up.
alignment: chaotic neutral

Last edited:

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
idk about yall but what im scared more is if the server will last long, i hope it will.
I want to experience late hl2rp nights again
bro hit me in the feels..

late night outland vibes? occasional antlion passerby, combine fort in the distance with floodlights. ur planning what ur gonna do in the morning or even daydreaming for weeks to come

Nebulae
bro hit me in the feels..

late night outland vibes? occasional antlion passerby, combine fort in the distance with floodlights. ur planning what ur gonna do in the morning or even daydreaming for weeks to come

daamnnn broo i have created a really strong connection with hl2rp that i cant explain it

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
well sadly that’s what makes hl2rp beautiful because if we go constantly in wars with combine without loosing our characters the server would’ve end up with constant gun fights.
The risk of dying makes characters important to the server and makes you create a bond with them.

If the guy doesn't feel alright with it that's his thing. I suffer from GAD and I know how these things can affect someone. Luckily this is not something that affects me but I understand how it can cause others distress.

Also the deaths will not be PK when dying to the opposite side, as combat will not be as common but also not especially rare. But you can, of course, decide to end your character when you feel like it, as it's stated in the PK section.

But yeah there's a point in the middle, hardcore death shouldn't be the main attraction of the gameplay itself, but merely a part of it (and a not-too-forced one).

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae

the amount of scrutinizing i have done in vc with Jaggles when making the pk rules to avoid this exact scenario is hilarious. it is literally bug proofing so that we do not have these cases because in all honesty it's a pain