Serious HL2RP∞ Screenshot Thread

Generally Fruity

Proton
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I liked the verticality as well although it led to a lot of scuff

The elevator in hotel diordna frequently claimed lives (Mostly cops for some reason) and source ladders are notoriously annoying to deal with in the base games, so it's even worse in gmod
never forget that one ladder up to the railroad tracks. then zak cracks it open to make ncv1 and he finds that the dismount point was misspelt the whole time.

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I think cops just got killed more in the Metropol elevator because the big loud as fuck biosignal alerted everyone about it LOL

I saw plenty of players fall to their deaths through the floor, but its not so obvious then sadly.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
I think cops just got killed more in the Metropol elevator because the big loud as fuck biosignal alerted everyone about it LOL

I saw plenty of players fall to their deaths through the floor, but its not so obvious then sadly.
I think it's also because they would group up so there'd be like 3/4 of them in the elevator which probably just increases the chances of it bugging out and deciding someone's life is forfeit

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Also I gotta be honest I think there's some mild rose-tinted glasses already over the last eleven months regarding the impact of the lore.

C24 had cool lore but barely anyone cared until the finale because of the constant S2K and fighting OOC over it, the bunker map almost died because people just stopped participating and didn't care about what was going on and Ineu was also met with people going "what's even happening" day-to-day.

Like yeah there's some shit that isn't explained rn on the current map but you've gotta cut the team a little bit of slack for keeping a setting that is constant warfare engaging for eleven months.

Generally Fruity

Proton
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Also I gotta be honest I think there's some mild rose-tinted glasses already over the last eleven months regarding the impact of the lore.

C24 had cool lore but barely anyone cared until the finale because of the constant S2K and fighting OOC over it, the bunker map almost died because people just stopped participating and didn't care about what was going on and Ineu was also met with people going "what's even happening" day-to-day.

Like yeah there's some shit that isn't explained rn on the current map but you've gotta cut the team a little bit of slack for keeping a setting that is constant warfare engaging for eleven months.
not to mention the fact a lot of the original writers have left or gone on extended leave. they left documentation of their ideas, granted, but we can only be so faithful when all we have to go off is screenshots, some paragraphs and playerbase word-of-mouth (extremely unreliable). "just ask the writers"-- okay, sure, but when someone says they're leaving indefinitely or otherwise, that sort of contradicts being in a position to answer questions about lore all the time. nevermind when it happens to be some critical thing needed in the moment and they can't answer because they're away.

some of you demand professional levels of consistency and attention to detail from a bunch of college-age hobbyists, then get smarmy when you're disappointed. idk what that is besides the highest level of entitlement.

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae

Zak made an easter egg in his second i17 edit

Nebulae
itt: the shocking revelation that players dont have goldfish memories and care for basic consistency when we tell them they're going from A to B

we had no lore up until asheville & we wanted to keep it that way. it only started happening because people started asking for a sense of purpose to their shenanigans. it was neither a writer ego pursuit nor was it meant to be for a niche crowd of turbo autists

i think the word "lore" is too often confused for "write million docs about what's happening everywhere in the world including places we wont ever visit" when what players really want is "write something that makes sense about wtf im supposed to be doing here" because obviously everything you do in the server starts to feel pointless without a clearly communicated premise to back it up

Ineu was also met with people going "what's even happening" day-to-day.

which is why this became a problem by ineu because i was stretched too thin to keep writing those posts. you cant get more case in point than this

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
itt: the shocking revelation that players dont have goldfish memories and care for basic consistency when we tell them they're going from A to B

we had no lore up until asheville & we wanted to keep it that way. it only started happening because people started asking for a sense of purpose to their shenanigans. it was neither a writer ego pursuit nor was it meant to be for a niche crowd of turbo autists
We did have lore up until Asheville, though it was in a much simpler and nicer form, that being of what actually happened on the server was the lore. Lambda setting up a grand prison escape on depot, followed by a week of struggle in the harsh sands of what once was the sea of Azov? Mysterious serial killing a string of well-known figures among the local Resistance on Apoc, and the rebel mission to sabotage the Combine spire? Combine raiding the cave with a super synth? All major events that happened on the server itself and affected all players in one way or another.

That's the lore. Not some hastily written contextual backstory, but rather what actually ends up taking place there and then. Sure, we have the same thing now, but it gets overshadowed by whatever the lore team come up with. If you want to look back at early S1, lore-wise, you'll mention the above, the things that happened as a result of base player-driven actions with far less staff/lore team intervention than now. Really, it's not like you can mention anything else anyhow as there simply was no context or backstory then. There's nothing to overshadow it, so those events bask in their historic significance and will be a first point of reference for the general story in retrospect.

The lore was written by the players as opposed to the lore team, and I think that was a lot better than what we have now.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The lore was written by the players as opposed to the lore team, and I think that was a lot better than what we have now.

But it wasn't, really? At least not imo.

The "lore" was written by the players based on scenarios staff made specifically to counter boredom and because players wanted some sort of purpose and context. It was a bunch of shiny objectives dangled in front of them because nobody really expected the server would last as long as it did - there was no 'wider story' or actual impact, which is what @Appetite Ruining Kebab meant.

The server was, before Asheville, Combine vs Rebels in a pocket dimension, divorced from the wider world, and it was already risking collapse until the objectives became meaningful.

tl;dr There's a difference between "cool stuff that happened" and "stuff that changed the lore".

Before Asheville it was strictly the former, not the latter.

Last edited:

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
man lore does not matter as much as you think fr

U guys should just wipe the slate and do genuinely seasonal style stuff with new chars each time instead of what will eventually become a mess of lore
totally agree

best lore is when people get to headcanon the why's. you put them in a setting with an outline. show don't tell the factions you want to put at play.

same reason people like esoteric events and open endings, you head insert whatever works best for you and 99% of the time it's better than what the writer had intended in the first place

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
We did have lore up until Asheville, though it was in a much simpler and nicer form, that being of what actually happened on the server was the lore. Lambda setting up a grand prison escape on depot, followed by a week of struggle in the harsh sands of what once was the sea of Azov? Mysterious serial killing a string of well-known figures among the local Resistance on Apoc, and the rebel mission to sabotage the Combine spire? Combine raiding the cave with a super synth? All major events that happened on the server itself and affected all players in one way or another.

That's the lore. Not some hastily written contextual backstory, but rather what actually ends up taking place there and then. Sure, we have the same thing now, but it gets overshadowed by whatever the lore team come up with. If you want to look back at early S1, lore-wise, you'll mention the above, the things that happened as a result of base player-driven actions with far less staff/lore team intervention than now. Really, it's not like you can mention anything else anyhow as there simply was no context or backstory then. There's nothing to overshadow it, so those events bask in their historic significance and will be a first point of reference for the general story in retrospect.

Great bait I rate it eight outta eight

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
totally agree

best lore is when people get to headcanon the why's. you put them in a setting with an outline. show don't tell the factions you want to put at play.

same reason people like esoteric events and open endings, you head insert whatever works best for you and 99% of the time it's better than what the writer had intended in the first place

i think an issue was that some people were running events with headcanons that were, put nicely, fucking out-there

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
totally agree

yea that's why there hasn't been any dumps to the playerbase as a whole
people who played this map already had their neat-o meeting with the top lad handling the 'bad guys'
everything has been handled ic this map