Serious HL2RP∞ Screenshot Thread

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
with the amount of people that play at this point yeah

a 24/7 server just isnt really the way anymore
The unfortunate thing is that in the leadup to the Linntrix iteration, when it was being debated who'd run the next iteration, I mentioned a 24/5 server or similar to Alex and was firmly told no. I never understood why Nebulous never adapted to certain changing things ranging from creating an actual useful discord server and moving away from teamspeak to a variety of other things. Even now it seems like people die on random hills like the Archives not being opened. Honestly, I still don't understand it.

I think part of it is the mentality of headstaff. The heavy emphasis on "premium numbers" has existed for so long and I don't think the "Nebulous is a business" mentality has ever helped. If Nebulous is a "business", why was HL2RP (the bread and butter of the "business") never invested into after 2018? The only major update came around TN being up and was just a ripoff of a few of their features. Why invest so much time into a "passion project" (GTARP) that /most/ of the community wouldn't mesh well with? (Voice RP, etc.) If you didn't want to run HL2RP anymore, why not get someone else to run it? Write the checks and have someone else do everything else. I understand that's what was eventually done but issues with how the server was ran (seasons, server shutting down for some time, etc.) still caused problems with Headstaff. Even in ~2020/2021 when purely IC suggestions were made for the server (ala maskless cops or what have you), headstaff (which really hadn't played in a long time) would deny these things. In the leadup to the Linntrix iteration, I again suggested a complete change in how the purely IC things were ran and was just shot down. When devwork was brought up (which I honestly believe is critical in today's HL2RP environment. I mean Nebulous basically runs off default helix by this point), it was stated that we were only "8 months behind in development from Willard." It was also said that there were no willing/available devs on the market, which is just not true. I mean, seriously? Even when others brought people forward nebulous players, it was basically stonewalled by the NDA shit and all of that. I, and many others, genuinely believed that Nebulous (and this iteration) could've been something on the level of Synapse but there was just too much bullshit, both in and out of the game. I'll eternally punch my monitor thinking about the CSS T.V screen terminal that we had for like 6 years that blinded you and only showed your "DCD" while any good dev, or for a few premium memberships, a new terminal could've been developed years ago.

Idk, rant over. Why argue about shit that's too late/never gonna change lol

Reactions: List

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Oh boy, do I really gotta dust off the old "big reply" gloves. Jfc I'm retired leave me alone.

Okay jokes aside, this is what I have to say:

The unfortunate thing is that in the leadup to the Linntrix iteration, when it was being debated who'd run the next iteration, I mentioned a 24/5 server or similar to Alex and was firmly told no.
Keep in mind, we are the ones who decide who runs projects here. if for some reason we have reservations, be it due to your idea not being something we like or you personally not having our trust - expect to be told no. I would argue it's common sense really.

I never understood why Nebulous never adapted to certain changing things ranging from creating an actual useful discord server and moving away from teamspeak to a variety of other things.
This is actually incorrect, we tried discord initially and basically everyone said no we want TS. So we did. By the time discord started being "mainstream" we'd already decided not to use it and we had settled with TS. The forums did everything a discord did really, even if we had made one back then nothing would've changed; people constantly made private circlejerk ones so, what's the point.

Even now it seems like people die on random hills like the Archives not being opened. Honestly, I still don't understand it.
We let people get their work for the archives (I've been a bit slow about it recently sorry), but don't act like it's anything new. FTRP, Experiment and WW3 all got archived too. It's just how it works.

I think part of it is the mentality of headstaff. The heavy emphasis on "premium numbers" has existed for so long and I don't think the "Nebulous is a business" mentality has ever helped.
Bullshit, we were upfront and honest about this and didn't try to put on the facade about it. Have nostalgia about LP all you want but we set out to make sure people knew what they were getting into.

We were extremely lax when it came to premium stuff, compared to our peers. Premium vaults, bodygroups and a couple of, let's say, bonus whitelists hardly compare to shit like buying entire characters, paying to add snowflake models, paying for staff rights and tons of other shit servers did back then. You're clearly just jaded and think what we did was the worst, no. Far from it.

why was HL2RP (the bread and butter of the "business") never invested into after 2018?
Hey, I still invested most of my free time into it until I think 2020 when I literally could not do it anymore. The same goes for the staff team members I worked with, as well as the other headstaff members like @alex @Jaydawg @`impulse who, while not the most "up-front" about their involvement were in 24/7 communication with me about the server; how to improve it, what we need to be doing and so on.

Not that you'd know that, because you've never had any actual clue how we operated and you still don't. Your post comes from a place of knowing not a lot.

Why invest so much time into a "passion project" (GTARP) that /most/ of the community wouldn't mesh well with? (Voice RP, etc.)
Because GMOD is a game that some of us have wasted too much time in and don't want to forever be stuck with it. There's nothing else to it buddy

If you didn't want to run HL2RP anymore, why not get someone else to run it? Write the checks and have someone else do everything else.
I wanted to keep running it, up until I didn't. Then I stepped away.

As for "checks" idk what kind of assumption you were under but I'll spell it out for you: Being SD was not a job for me, I wasn't paid for it nor did I ever ask to be paid. It was a running joke.

I understand that's what was eventually done but issues with how the server was ran (seasons, server shutting down for some time, etc.) still caused problems with Headstaff. Even in ~2020/2021
You'll find most of those issues were caused by communication (or lack thereof). A lot of stuff happened and we just weren't told.

when purely IC suggestions were made for the server (ala maskless cops or what have you), headstaff (which really hadn't played in a long time) would deny these things.
I was the SD who made those calls and I was on the server almost every day for nearly 7 years. Shut up lmfao

In the leadup to the Linntrix iteration, I again suggested a complete change in how the purely IC things were ran and was just shot down.
And? Do you not like being told no? Deal with it.

I don't really have much else to say to the rest of ur post tbh

I get this comes from a place of frustration but please don't go in swinging with shit you just concocted in ur head gamer

Generally Fruity

Proton
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
The unfortunate thing is that in the leadup to the Linntrix iteration, when it was being debated who'd run the next iteration, I mentioned a 24/5 server or similar to Alex and was firmly told no. I never understood why Nebulous never adapted to certain changing things ranging from creating an actual useful discord server and moving away from teamspeak to a variety of other things. Even now it seems like people die on random hills like the Archives not being opened. Honestly, I still don't understand it.

I think part of it is the mentality of headstaff. The heavy emphasis on "premium numbers" has existed for so long and I don't think the "Nebulous is a business" mentality has ever helped. If Nebulous is a "business", why was HL2RP (the bread and butter of the "business") never invested into after 2018? The only major update came around TN being up and was just a ripoff of a few of their features. Why invest so much time into a "passion project" (GTARP) that /most/ of the community wouldn't mesh well with? (Voice RP, etc.) If you didn't want to run HL2RP anymore, why not get someone else to run it? Write the checks and have someone else do everything else. I understand that's what was eventually done but issues with how the server was ran (seasons, server shutting down for some time, etc.) still caused problems with Headstaff. Even in ~2020/2021 when purely IC suggestions were made for the server (ala maskless cops or what have you), headstaff (which really hadn't played in a long time) would deny these things. In the leadup to the Linntrix iteration, I again suggested a complete change in how the purely IC things were ran and was just shot down. When devwork was brought up (which I honestly believe is critical in today's HL2RP environment. I mean Nebulous basically runs off default helix by this point), it was stated that we were only "8 months behind in development from Willard." It was also said that there were no willing/available devs on the market, which is just not true. I mean, seriously? Even when others brought people forward nebulous players, it was basically stonewalled by the NDA shit and all of that. I, and many others, genuinely believed that Nebulous (and this iteration) could've been something on the level of Synapse but there was just too much bullshit, both in and out of the game. I'll eternally punch my monitor thinking about the CSS T.V screen terminal that we had for like 6 years that blinded you and only showed your "DCD" while any good dev, or for a few premium memberships, a new terminal could've been developed years ago.

Idk, rant over. Why argue about shit that's too late/never gonna change lol
there's more to things than just what you see. headstaff have reasons why they do what they do.

what are you after anyway? how many times do posts like these have to be made before you're satisfied? do you need to see blackquill on a cross?

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I mean this iteration never would have happened full stop if the common consensus before launch had been listened to. It was only when the server went well that people acted like they'd always supported it.

People were always quick to crow HL2RP was dead and needed to be buried when the chips were down only to pop back up and claim that if x and y changed that it'd be saved despite wanting almost nothing to do with it. It'd been the same cycle since literally 2016 on repeat.

Why invest so much time into a "passion project" (GTARP) that /most/ of the community wouldn't mesh well with? (Voice RP, etc.)

Because they have actual passion for it. Same thing here. Don't think it's necessarily fair to drag that, tbh, when you could ask the same of any project, including yours.

Besides there's plenty of people who said they'd never try it and now play it regularly, so.

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Listen all I'm saying is ChatGPT got pretty popular by the time the Blackquill AI was retired...

Chezburger

american idiot
Nebulae
reallyheyzeus2.png

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I think it's easy to judge when you haven't been in the position to do anything on the scale of Neb or any other big community tbh. Running a small personal project is comparably easy; even shit like buying DDOS protection is fairly cheap if you go absolutely barebones.

That's not a jab but literally look at Willard. They swore up and down two years ago that they'd never run a community like the others, including us. Then reality hit them and they introduced a load of shit that they'd balked at initially just to keep the lights on or to stop people taking the piss. In some ways they run things worse than other big communities.

Nebulous hit the ground running in 2016 but that was 7 years ago. Passions and interests change. Its easy to forget we had a consistent and good quality pair of devs until 2019 when they moved on or stopped working on Gmod because it wasn't gonna get them anywhere.

Like to face facts, this is a game from 2007. Nobody is gonna win any awards for finding a new way to push the engine to its limits. Its great people wanna keep making shit in Gmod but not everyone does.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Why invest so much time into a "passion project" (GTARP) that /most/ of the community wouldn't mesh well with?
You wish I dedicate more time to your passion of HL2 RP. I do not have any love for HL2 RP anymore and that's no secret, I will invest my time into the ideas and challenges I am passionate about.

The heavy emphasis on "premium numbers" has existed for so long and I don't think the "Nebulous is a business" mentality has ever helped.
Write the checks and have someone else do everything else.
This kinda contradicts yourself here but it doesn't really matter, the rest of the post doesn't really hold water either.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
I think my least favourite part of getting involved in these discussions is the animosity

It's never just criticism, it always has to have some kind of like snide implication to it and that bothers me a bit.

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I think my least favourite part of getting involved in these discussions is the animosity

It's never just criticism, it always has to have some kind of like snide implication to it and that bothers me a bit.

nebulous should hold rap battles to settle the beef between users tbh

it would solve the community's toxicity problem, trust

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Also I HAVE to point out we were genuinely the first server at the time to introduce those request terminals and it was map lighting that broke them (you had to use map_specular 0 to fix it).

Willard stole the design from us and added more features like assigned housing (which never got used) and their banking system bc they didn't use tokens and then the concept got taken from THEM and remade on other communities.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae

If the idea was to be truly constructive this would never be the case as when you want to build you don't try to poke holes, especially in something as immovable as the past, but alas.