Serious HL2RP - Moving Forward

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I think this is insane cope though, yes you are correct, that things can be done by hand and don't need dev to get good events done. But eventually this leads to burnout, because everything needs to be done manually, and the day that the admins want to take a break, the whole server falls apart and there is no gameplay for the players.

Dev work is there to assist admins in doing stuff and making it easier to run events alongside a plot line and engaging gameplay

burnout occurs when the staff team feels like the onus is always on them to be on adminstrative duty

i always thought things would be far more sustainable if the staff team was cyclical, with mandatory breaks and off-periods so no one could work themselves to death

see: thesandiestcomet doing an event every single day for 30 days before burning out and resigning

but in order to do that, with our current playerbase, you'd basically need more staff members than not
which tbh i wouldnt mind, because if the staff are playing, then players will play

Reactions: List

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
gmods dead

u guys wanna revive n go back to some sorta hayday then u gotta abandon the fuck outta gmod n never look back

unless ur willard (doin some rpg shit) or russian (russians never die), then gmod aint reviveable

fofa

Atom
Nebulae
gmods dead

u guys wanna revive n go back to some sorta hayday then u gotta abandon the fuck outta gmod n never look back

unless ur willard (doin some rpg shit) or russian (russians never die), then gmod aint reviveable
or an electric dreamer

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
The literal only thing I could see working is a multi-month (probably like 6 months) shutdown to develop a new server (HL2RP or a new setting). This probably won't happen due to legal issues around premium iirc. Even then, idk where the money would come from to develop this stuff.

Even ignoring feature development, a long break could be good to develop a cool story and setting.

Either way, best of luck.

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
gmods dead

>gmod is dead
>two examples of gmod not being dead

Subeh please stfu for once

Last edited:

.retzy

Neutrino
Premium Member
Nebulae
Anyone who has ever wanted to play HL2RP has done so, there is no new players to lure in, you can only survive by coaxing back veterans or maintaining a super loyal core playerbase.

But at this point every story anyone has ever wanted to tell has been told, some of us have been doing this shit for more than a decade at this point and while it might be fun to hop on and mess around for a few hours on a rainy afternoon it just gets...boring.

I could see a "booking" system work better, a system where you let people book the server and give them full creative control to tell whatever story they want to within the confines of the lore over an evening or just a few days.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
gmod is so dead that their are multiple hl2rp and non hl2rp communities still doing just fine
clearly there are no other obvious issues with neb, gmod is just dead. we should give up
i am going to kill myself

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
gmod is so dead that their are multiple hl2rp and non hl2rp communities still doing just fine
clearly there are no other obvious issues with neb, gmod is just dead. we should give up
i am going to kill myself
Gmod's about as dead as it's always been, it's kinda like TF2 in that it seems to always have an active and steady playerbase. How much of those players actually play roleplay gamemodes is hard to discern though.

But to respond to the I guess main "point" of your post, I think some people see gmod rp as a hobby that can take a lot of time investment with little fufilment to be gained from it. Especially if you're completely disinterested in the idea to begin with.

I can only speak for myself in saying that I feel like I've given enough of my time to HL2RP/GMOD as a project. I'm sure there's other people with a similar sentiment. That's not to say those still interested should give up or anything, I think if you have an idea and you're willing to put the work in - It could very well work out in the long run.

It's probably more apt to say it's less about "Gmod is dead" and instead "MY interest in gmod is dead" when it comes to stuff like this.

I don't think it's cool to play the blame game though, running a server and maintaining it would be difficult enough if everything went 100% smoothly but it never does.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Gmod's about as dead as it's always been, it's kinda like TF2 in that it seems to always have an active and steady playerbase.

as an aside, Zesty Jesus worked out that about 80-90% of TF2's playercount is farm and idle bots

TF2 has barely 10k players

Osira

Neutrino
Nebulae
while gmod is not 'dead' it has definitely entered the heat death stage, there's some small amount of coping with that, but i think in the eyes of your average player, let's say he works a stable job, comes on with only a few hours of free time, - logs on, finds nothing to play on - then goes off, this can be the case for some. i know it's been said before but people are getting older and the time investment you need is pretty severe now that I think about it, i'm surprised I was able to dump that amount of time to begin with back in 2013, it puts a lot into perspective. i guess unless you're in servers that are already running stuff on a schedule, it can be pretty deceptive to think that it's dead.

i had some long-winded post typed out, but i think there's multiple things in here that blend together - mainly that with the uncertainty, i think maybe the time would be best spent with other kinds of settings. finding decent developers these days to stay on-board is also becoming more of a challenge as most want to take their skills to higher aspirations, or are tied down with their own projects.
like blackquill said though, it's not dead - but the serious RP circle is definitely a far cry from what it was in comparison to '16 or even beyond, and who knows how long those circles will last, which brings me back to my first point in that maybe it's time to explore other settings other than HL2RP.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
as an aside, Zesty Jesus worked out that about 80-90% of TF2's playercount is farm and idle bots

TF2 has barely 10k players
Before the massive bot craze hit the game I think the game still had quite a sizeable active playerbase. In the like 20-30k range. I know shit like meet your match/other shit ruined tf2 for a lot of people though.

But yeah tf2 still has that bot problem and valve doesn't care lmao rip

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
did he work out that youre not supposed to say slurs constantly

no he's still one of those morons who thinks he can say slurs and be excused because "i know im not racist"

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
Gmod's about as dead as it's always been, it's kinda like TF2 in that it seems to always have an active and steady playerbase. How much of those players actually play roleplay gamemodes is hard to discern though.

It's probably more apt to say it's less about "Gmod is dead" and instead "MY interest in gmod is dead" when it comes to stuff like this.
yes, which is why they should just say that instead of jumping into every thread to repeat the same shit. saying gmod is dead isnt true, theres still an active playerbase of rpers (even if its smaller than it used to be) and other servers do just fine

But to respond to the I guess main "point" of your post, I think some people see gmod rp as a hobby that can take a lot of time investment with little fufilment to be gained from it. Especially if you're completely disinterested in the idea to begin with.

I can only speak for myself in saying that I feel like I've given enough of my time to HL2RP/GMOD as a project. I'm sure there's other people with a similar sentiment. That's not to say those still interested should give up or anything, I think if you have an idea and you're willing to put the work in - It could very well work out in the long run.
which is why most servers have made changes to try and help with this, whether its more scheduled stuff, closed servers or downtime. people have been complaining about the 24/7 format for years, but people just refuse to try and make some of these changes here, i genuinely do not get it. the last half of hl2rp2 might of lead to less burnout if it hadnt tried to keep limping on as a 24/7 server with a tiny playercount

I don't think it's cool to play the blame game though, running a server and maintaining it would be difficult enough if everything went 100% smoothly but it never does.
the same problems have basically been brought up for (again) years at this point, and the problems with the recent iteration could be seen coming from a mile away (even if ron didnt disappear). i think its totally reasonable

Last edited:

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
which is why MOST SERVERS have made changes to try and help with this, whether its more scheduled stuff, closed servers or downtime. people have been complaining about the 24/7 format for years, but people just refuse to try and make some of these changes here, i genuinely do not get it
I don't really know much about GMOD stuff these days so I can't really comment on stuff like formats. I imagine it's easier to run a coherent narrative in other formats than a 24/7 one. That being said I think 24/7 formats can have a lot of cool shit go on it just, yk needs people for it.

the same problems have basically been brought up for (again) years at this point, and the problems with the recent iteration could be seen coming from a mile away. i think its totally reasonable
I'm not gonna be a dick and say your opinion or thoughts are invalid but I do want to put a point across that stuff like this is never black/white. It's never 'oh you're not doing X you're not doing Y do that and it'll all be good.'

Take it from me it's never as simple as that, that's the kinda stuff I dealt with all the time and it was disappointing when even when you feel like you did everything that was suggested or asked of you; it still didn't work out. Be it because of bad luck, your heart not being in it or maybe other factors relevant to the situation.

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
>gmod is dead
>two examples of gmod not being dead

Subeh please stfu for once
my examples were willard (a wildly different concept that has unarguably never been done on gmod) and a whole different separate culture of people

read before speaking

and if im wrong and it isnt gmod that's dead, then that clearly means neb is doing something incredibly wrong

doing the same shit over n over again probably the reason

nebs pretty good at keeping the same old people interested but the chances of kiting in new people is pretty fkin slim

if u guys are cool w/ that then all the power to you, if anything that's a healthy way of looking at it

also 'stfu for once' bro this is the first time ive seriously contributed to something in months the fuck u on about

mans tryna farm zingers in the year of our lord 2024

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
my examples were willard (a wildly different concept that has unarguably never been done on gmod) and a whole different separate culture of people

read before speaking

and if im wrong and it isnt gmod that's dead, then that clearly means neb is doing something incredibly wrong

doing the same shit over n over again probably the reason

nebs pretty good at keeping the same old people interested but the chances of kiting in new people is pretty fkin slim

if u guys are cool w/ that then all the power to you, if anything that's a healthy way of looking at it

also 'stfu for once' bro this is the first time ive seriously contributed to something in months the fuck u on about

mans tryna farm zingers in the year of our lord 2024
People think I'm contrarian while during the last good iteration I seem to recall all you doing is winging and sperging out when you didn't get your way, and now it's dropping in with the hl2rp doomer attitude.

It's not over for the gamemode, but neb is done unless someone picks up the torch and actually addresses the problems many of us have been actively talking about for years

Last edited: