Information [HL2RP] What advice would you give to new players?

Valtorix

Self-Identified S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Nebulae
I figured i'd make this thread as i've been asked by a few people in the past that have tried the server. For all the new players joining us, and the new players in HL2RP; what advice would you give them starting off for the first time? Anything like tips for making interesting characters, to the age-old question of "Alright, I have a character; but now what?".

--- Edit ---​

Here are my personal suggestions:

• Take your time, roleplay is slow paced and relaxed; is there action? Yes, but character development is important and with the well-organized system in place on the server, the chances of you getting "armed and dangerous" right off the bat is extremely unlikely; you have a better chance getting killed.
  • PLEASE take the 15-20 minutes to download all the content and read the rules; it's imperative that you do because for everyone else who has roleplayed before does not want to see people running, jumping and overall acting like a "goof"
  • If you want more detailed information on the lore, tips & tricks (other than this thread) and the like you can find all that on the forum; i'll provide links for some key ones but take a gander for yourself!
  • DON'T be afraid to ask for help! If you've read the rules and the basic guides but aren't sure of something or you want to know how to do something, ask the community on the forum or OOC; there's also the staff who are almost always available (minus graveyard hours but even then...)
  • Feel like taking the common route of "I want to fight the combine!"? That's fine, but you'll have a hell of a struggle doing so; gear isn't cheap, and that's assuming you live long enough; the combine are ruthless and effective. Let's not forget the citizens who love to turn their neighbors in order to improve their own wealth!
  • You've made a character, you've done a workshift or maybe explored a bit; hey you found a black market dealer! You decide to save, and oh no! You get killed by civil protection, the resistance or a citizen. Wow that sucks, well unfortunately in HL2RP your character will die; one way or another. So don't be upset about it! It just means now you have the opportunity to create a new character, maybe this one is of a different background, different ambitions, what language does he speak if any other than english? What if he's actually a she or maybe this new character has a different personality; experiment! It's in the journey (as someone put it very well) not the end goal.

Server Content and IP

185.38.151.186:27015

Workshop Content

(Missing Textures after download? Make sure your games are mounted!)

Server Rules

Official HL2RP Ruleset

Here's a few guides to get you started

Basic Knowledge for Starting Citizens
Roleplay Guide for Complete Beginners
Guide to Simple Roleplay Commands
An In-depth look to Characters

Last edited:

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
Lol why is that?

he's just mad the Union doesn't allow video game museums, don't mind him.

I suggest people don't rush becoming 'anti-Citizens', or 'rebels', if that's the path they want to take OOCly, they should do regular people things until they see this happen IC that give your character a reason to develop into the kind of character who wants to resist the Union. Only by slow progression though different trials in your character's journey can truly give your experience an authentic and interesting story arc.

In other words, enjoy the journey, not the destination because the destination is your grave.

Reactions: List

Ayrism

Electron
Nebulae
he's just mad the Union doesn't allow video game museums, don't mind him.

I suggest people don't rush becoming 'anti-Citizens', or 'rebels', if that's the path they want to take OOCly, they should do regular people things until they see this happen IC that give your character a reason to develop into the kind of character who wants to resist the Union. Only by slow progression though different trials in your character's journey can truly give your experience an authentic and interesting story arc.

In other words, enjoy the journey, not the destination because the destination is your grave.
i agree

however, if you're insistent on becoming a rebel as a priority, have a good backstory. not 'combines killed wife' or 'i hate aliens' but a proper backstory. something that'd drive you to risk your life, and live in filth just to resist.

Valtorix

Self-Identified S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Nebulae
that you're going to die, a lot. So don't be salty when you do

And WHEN you eventually have/get your character killed in a legitimate way, don't make a PK appeal; on that note, whenever you do lose a character, don't frequently make appeals for each and every one as soon as it happens xD

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
I figured i'd make this thread as i've been asked by a few people in the past that have tried the server. For all the new players joining us, and the new players in HL2RP; what advice would you give them starting off for the first time? Anything like tips for making interesting characters, to the age-old question of "Alright, I have a character; but now what?".

--- Edit ---​

Here are my personal suggestions:

• Take your time, roleplay is slow paced and relaxed; is there action? Yes, but character development is important and with the well-organized system in place on the server, the chances of you getting "armed and dangerous" right off the bat is extremely unlikely; you have a better chance getting killed.
  • PLEASE take the 15-20 minutes to download all the content and read the rules; it's imperative that you do because for everyone else who has roleplayed before does not want to see people running, jumping and overall acting like a "goof"
  • If you want more detailed information on the lore, tips & tricks (other than this thread) and the like you can find all that on the forum; i'll provide links for some key ones but take a gander for yourself!
  • DON'T be afraid to ask for help! If you've read the rules and the basic guides but aren't sure of something or you want to know how to do something, ask the community on the forum or OOC; there's also the staff who are almost always available (minus graveyard hours but even then...)
  • Feel like taking the common route of "I want to fight the combine!"? That's fine, but you'll have a hell of a struggle doing so; gear isn't cheap, and that's assuming you live long enough; the combine are ruthless and effective. Let's not forget the citizens who love to turn their neighbors in order to improve their own wealth!
  • You've made a character, you've done a workshift or maybe explored a bit; hey you found a black market dealer! You decide to save, and oh no! You get killed by civil protection, the resistance or a citizen. Wow that sucks, well unfortunately in HL2RP your character will die; one way or another. So don't be upset about it! It just means now you have the opportunity to create a new character, maybe this one is of a different background, different ambitions, what language does he speak if any other than english? What if he's actually a she or maybe this new character has a different personality; experiment! It's in the journey (as someone put it very well) not the end goal.

Server Content and IP

185.38.151.186:27015

Workshop Content

(Missing Textures after download? Make sure your games are mounted!)

Server Rules

Official HL2RP Ruleset

Here's a few guides to get you started

Basic Knowledge for Starting Citizens
Roleplay Guide for Complete Beginners
Guide to Simple Roleplay Commands
An In-depth look to Characters

i will just give them this

Nebulae
if u get into the sewers don't walk up to the best equipped guy and follow him around

Knight

`impulse-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Don't run into the slums and chase down every single rebel.

Don't ask people in the plaza where the rebels are.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
9b694d167c993815ab0848a016e191d7.gif

Don't make a standard and generic character. Be unique with your character, and their story will become unique with time and effort.

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
Do not be fooled by the saying "IC is IC"; roleplay is just as OOC driven as IC driven, especially in this community (and almost all other HL2RP communities).

If you know no one OOCly, you will not get far ICly.

Roleplay skill is not appreciated as much as social skill.

Learn the Game and then you can roleplay as you wish as long as you follow the rules of the Game.

That is my cold hard advice to new players that will start to learn it very quickly and very early when their ties to the forums and TeamSpeak relationships will get them farther than their ability to roleplay a decent character. Once that is done, then they can roleplay a decent character as it will be the cherry on the top of the proverbial cake.