How do I be better at rp? Grrrrr

Rusty Pebbles

Stick in the mud
Nebulae
I just feel like I've hit a wall. I dunno if it's the lack in skill or creativity but I'd love for tips on how to be good please

Freelok

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Make a character based around sitting on a bench. It doesn't sound entertaining but it is extremely fun.

sots

community bear
Nebulae
For me there’s a few people who encourage me to RP well, mostly @Pyromancer so just look for people like that, try to rp with them as much as you can and just copy off of them tbh. Avoid people who you find yourself goofing with and spending more time in looc than anything

Oh yeah and vocabulary is real good read books and stuff

Reactions: List

Pyromancer

doNT YOU KNOW how HARD DEVVING IS????
Nebulae
pay for extended roleplaying sessions with oldfags and people with literary skills like @'77 East and @not tiger also take inspiration from the way other people roleplay, films and books and shit

music helps too sometimes

D

Deleted member 1381

I just feel like I've hit a wall. I dunno if it's the lack in skill or creativity but I'd love for tips on how to be good please
  • grab a better vocabulary, instead of using words like 'cold' or 'quickly' look up synonyms for them and substitute them for that
  • imagine how your actions would play out in real life
  • add detail, instead of just doing /me drinks the cup of coffee add some detail to it, such as how you bring the cup towards your mouth or how the cup appears(steam emanating from it, scratches on the mug) or facial expressions your character might make after tasting it(wincing in pain because it's too hot, grimacing at the poor taste)
  • be realistic with actions
  • study fictional or non fictional people who are in a similar situation to your character(oppressed citizen) and take some form of inspiration from them

Last edited by a moderator:

sambo

biased shitlord
Nebulae
Make a character based around sitting on a bench. It doesn't sound entertaining but it is extremely fun.
17dbc4fce5d5586ed78f963fdb0e2865.jpg

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
Be creative, go over what you think are the limits, try something that scares you and most importantly expand your vocabulary

Take inspiration from people that do beautiful /me's, people such as @Erid make use of amazing dictionaries and are always fun to read

Kerim

Proton
Nebulae
try to understand your characters and set their primary motivations - what do they want to achieve and how are they planning on getting it? example; billy bob the second wants to get laid. now how will he approach the situation? is he the type of guy to get smashed in a bar and take a random chick? or will he pay for a hooker? or will he just force someone? all your actions depend on who your character is, so give them a set of motives and ideas that they hold dear and stick to them

Erid

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
  • Improving your vocabulary to an extent could help, though it's not vital, it'll just help you express yourself better.
  • Draw inspiration from people/yourself, not in an RP sense but more so in a sense of if you're RP'ing a specific type of person you usually have a pretty good example of them in your life or in popular media, that and just visualizing them interacting with whatever situation you're in assist you to maintain a lifelike feeling to other people you interact with, or even try and visualize yourself in said situation.
  • Always keep in mind the emotion of whatever situation you're in, if you're being beaten for example, you obviously experience pain but it's obviously not the only emotion you're going to experience, things like fear, hesitation and alike follow suit.
  • Have a very clear idea of what your character's like, their behavioral patterns, their motives, ideology and alike, though despite that always keep them grounded in reality, if for example a trait they possess is fearlessness or a lack of seriousness, it wouldn't exactly make sense if they keep that up when threatened by Civil Protection or at gunpoint.
  • I always make a character by considering their personality, then everything else follows suit, as I think more of how the character is I consider on how to make their backstory, for example if they're a good hand to hand combatant it might be due to them studying a martial art when they were a child or due to them growing up in a rough environment that demanded that of them.
These are just things that came to mind off the top of my head, everything else is mainly due to experience and whatnot.
Just an important thing to remember volume=/= quality, I often see people typing monumental /mes but I see several full stops ('.') in their /mes or just pointless filler, odds are that if it got to that point that /me would've done better as several /mes, just because a /me is long doesn't mean it's good, contrarily, it normally means the opposite.