I need good modern MMORPG suggestions.

rang

aussie turk
Nebulae
The Secret World. Best lore, main story and just overall mission/world design I have ever seen.
NOSTALGIA

I bought that game when it first came out, I remember grinding so much for the epic looking gasmask blue suit combo of the illuminati, getting head agent and then just leaving the game

it was a great game back in the day

PrincessKatey

Nucleus
Nebulae
How is the playerbase on that nowadays? I recall checking it out to maybe get into it a while ago but there were massive complaints about there being no players online
If it's the game I'm thinking of it should be an okay single player experience too ( i could be wrong I've never played it)

Gr4Ss

Proton
Nebulae
Isn't that the one that ties like the scenerary of world into quests?
Yes. Most stuff in the world is there for a reason and has story behind how it got there. I've played through the first zone like ten times now and I still discover new shit.

How is the playerbase on that nowadays? I recall checking it out to maybe get into it a while ago but there were massive complaints about there being no players online
No clue, haven't played it for a while. I mostly enjoyed the RP in it, but its RP community is in a decline. Either way, you don't really need people to enjoy all the good parts of the game. Having a friend along sometimes is fun, and end-game dungeons need groups (there's a group finder now though, so getting groups is easier) but pretty much all missions and the main story are fun to play by yourself at your own pace.

NOSTALGIA

I bought that game when it first came out, I remember grinding so much for the epic looking gasmask blue suit combo of the illuminati, getting head agent and then just leaving the game

it was a great game back in the day
I remember following that game since 2007. All those ARG's were fun, the entire lore still ranks higher than HL2 in my books and I will forever have fond memories of the RP. It was like GMod but with infinitely less drama due to everyone being adults instead of teenagers.

PrincessKatey

Nucleus
Nebulae
Yes. Most stuff in the world is there for a reason and has story behind how it got there. I've played through the first zone like ten times now and I still discover new shit.
Why can't every game do that?

rang

aussie turk
Nebulae
I remember following that game since 2007. All those ARG's were fun, the entire lore still ranks higher than HL2 in my books and I will forever have fond memories of the RP. It was like GMod but with infinitely less drama due to everyone being adults instead of teenagers.

I got into roleplay first in that game, but then eventually boredom got me.

Though a year back I got this game called the Black Watchmen - ARG, in the same universe as TSW. It's really fun and you should try if you like mystery, puzzles and the paranormal - it really gets your brain to spin, and I've played throughout all two seasons in a day or two. Really, really fun.

Gr4Ss

Proton
Nebulae
I got into roleplay first in that game, but then eventually boredom got me.

Though a year back I got this game called the Black Watchmen - ARG, in the same universe as TSW. It's really fun and you should try if you like mystery, puzzles and the paranormal - it really gets your brain to spin, and I've played throughout all two seasons in a day or two. Really, really fun.
I should play that sometime. The Black Watchman hoodie is still one of my favorites in TSW, coming in just after the Slaughterhouse hoodie :) Good memories to wasting time staring at a wall of paper to earn those two.

Reactions: List

Gr4Ss

Proton
Nebulae
Why can't every game do that?
Because in most games they focus on game design and not story design. Which leaves them with no time to build such a deep world and you end up with generic 'kill x of y' and 'bring this to A' or 'fetch B from there' quests.

PrincessKatey

Nucleus
Nebulae
Because in most games they focus on game design and not story design. Which leaves them with no time to build such a deep world and you end up with generic 'kill x of y' and 'bring this to A' or 'fetch B from there' quests.
So could you just walk up to random bits of paper and read them?

rang

aussie turk
Nebulae
I should play that sometime. The Black Watchman hoodie is still one of my favorites in TSW, coming in just after the Slaughterhouse hoodie :grinning: Good memories to wasting time staring at a wall of paper to earn those two.

The lore behind The Black Watchmen is so deep that I was amazed by it. So many mythologies involved, and they're all realistic as well - for example I've had to scan and analyze so much stuff to get the answer, and it's extremely fun
@Spitfire was there with me

It also has a really active community and developers, you can ask for help in-game and agents come and help you out through hints, not giving you the exact answer, I made quite a couple of friends that way

I made a forum post saying how I didn't get season two although I had bought the game at the PAX discount which promised season two for free, and the developers in a couple of minutes sent me the season two key to activate on STEAM, telling me to have fun. Those guys are what I'd like to be as a staff member tbf

PrincessKatey

Nucleus
Nebulae
The pre-launch ARG. IIRC there were like seven parts to it, and every few hours a new clue for the next part would be added to the wall. The result was that a collective 20000+ manhours were wasted staring at the thing, the Church of Paper was born and A4 was its way to say amen.
All hail printers

ruben slikk

life aint shut but a fat vagin
Nebulae
The lore behind The Black Watchmen is so deep that I was amazed by it. So many mythologies involved, and they're all realistic as well - for example I've had to scan and analyze so much stuff to get the answer, and it's extremely fun

It also has a really active community and developers, you can ask for help in-game and agents come and help you out through hints, not giving you the exact answer, I made quite a couple of friends that way

I made a forum post saying how I didn't get season two although I had bought the game at the PAX discount which promised season two for free, and the developers in a couple of minutes sent me the season two key to activate on STEAM, telling me to have fun. Those guys are what I'd like to be as a staff member tbf
i remember u asked me to play with u but i didnt because im retarded and didnt get it

rang

aussie turk
Nebulae
Here's an example if you wanna try and solve it;
http://archive.blackwatchmen.com/view/file/FY8QW7/119
You intercept this letter, and need to find out the content of the encrypted letter by finding the encryption key. The letter was encrypted through http://encipher.it/ - and once you find the letter, you have to get the name of the author, and put it in the game - which later ties into another story arc.

Gr4Ss

Proton
Nebulae
So could you just walk up to random bits of paper and read them?
No. The stories are told in two ways:

One is the lore nodes which you got to find and pick up and they'll unlock a part of a lore entry. Those mostly tell background about factions, interesting locations, and so on. But they are written in a very cryptic way. Refer to: http://wiki.crygaia.org/view/Lore:The_Buzzing That is an example of the lore entry. Also that entry is about the thing that IC'ly sort of buzzes the lore entries to you when you pick up lore nodes, so even the lore nodes have an explanation behind them.

The other way is through missions. You got two types sort of: missions from NPC's and item missions. NPC missions are given by NPC's and sort of tell their story, while item missions you get from items in the world and tell the story behind that particular item. An example here is like finding a phone on the ground in the hand of a dead woman. You interact with it, and through the mission you learn a little thing about the woman and why she's there and who she was.

Yeah. The guys behind TBW are the same ones as the ones who created TSW's pre-launch ARG. They got the idea from the game there for as far as I know, they must have noticed how much people liked the ARG and figured they could make a game around that.

Edit: @PrincessKatey http://wiki.crygaia.org/view/A_New_Mission_Begins is the pre-launch ARG. Not entirely complete as it kind of was hard to keep up writing that page, even with a few people working on it.

Last edited:

spitfire

loser russian internet gopnik
Nebulae

tfw had to work out a time frame in which you had to go into a building in order not to get spotted by 20 guards, even created a google doc for it, great fun

Nova_

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Why the fuck hasn't anyone mentioned eve online?

Fully persistent mmo based on one server filled with a peak of 40k players. Biggest fights have been 4K players and 24 hours long

Real world economists research the games economy due to how life like and realistic it is

Is 15 years old as only getting stronger

Is free

Is cutthroat as fuck and will swallow you whole if you aren't careful

ruben slikk

life aint shut but a fat vagin
Nebulae

Fully persistent mmo based on one server filled with a peak of 40k players. Biggest fights have been 4K players and 24 hours long

Real world economists research the games economy due to how life like and realistic it is

Is free

takes 50 years of 24/7 playing with several friends else you will not have fun

All Adm*ns are Bastards

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae

Is free

cos u need to be a savant with a spreadsheet fetish to enjoy it