Denied Just add PAC already

Status
Not open for further replies.

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
"Because roleplay is text based, you shouldn't add any kind of visual to make your character look more like how you want them to" -Nebulous cloud man
Also, have you ever thought that like, maybe, you can do both? There's been servers that have lasted years with PAC3 enabled with genuine roleplay in it

a lot of people would just play MUDs if the visual aspect wasn't important

i wouldn't have liked roleplaying w/o a visual aid, sometimes it just carries stuff that u dont want to keep into writing that isnt important or just feels awkward to re-iterate in each passing but u think visually is important

i disagree with ur idea of PAC but i enjoy ur rebuttal to snarky freaks who show up and go 'WHAT YOU SEE ISN'T IMPORTANT...' cause yeah for the most part sure but visual aids in some aspect its fine

there is PAC on the server used for the weapons, for the glasses of some models, for other bits and features since it was easier than idk, re implementing whatever CW had for showing holstered weapons and the like

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
Ok well can you do this without pac2 I don’t think so

this is p cool and tasteful and can be done on the server cause it does contain pac its just for items and shit so it can technically be done

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
this may be the pettiest reason to not want PAC but its also my biggest one

and its just that most people who use PAC just use it to make their characters actually awful looking

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
As much as PAC is a good tool, but when we have over 50 players using it, the framerate drop is going to be insane, let alone we're already having massive FPS issues with maxed players. PAC already caused trouble with just 20 players using it in my experience.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
you dont want full pac access on a server with more than 15 players

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
a lot of people would just play MUDs if the visual aspect wasn't important

i wouldn't have liked roleplaying w/o a visual aid, sometimes it just carries stuff that u dont want to keep into writing that isnt important or just feels awkward to re-iterate in each passing but u think visually is important

i disagree with ur idea of PAC but i enjoy ur rebuttal to snarky freaks who show up and go 'WHAT YOU SEE ISN'T IMPORTANT...' cause yeah for the most part sure but visual aids in some aspect its fine

there is PAC on the server used for the weapons, for the glasses of some models, for other bits and features since it was easier than idk, re implementing whatever CW had for showing holstered weapons and the like
you can't bedazzle a turd, pilotbland

Reactions: List

Anthrax_PL

Atom
Nebulae
cant wait to see a small band of rebels and or cops who are overly decorated and look way out of character mixed with regular models

(for the love of god and everything else that is holy in this world and in the server do not let people use pac3)

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
People in this community are almost universally incapable of just leaving without burning bridges, how long it would be some genuinely unstable idiot decides to try and cause some huge issue which you can absolutely do with PAC.

You've already had former longtime players come back just to try and damage the server and its only been reopened two day so I mean lol

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
People in this community are almost universally incapable of just leaving without burning bridges, how long it would be some genuinely unstable idiot decides to try and cause some huge issue which you can absolutely do with PAC.

You've already had former longtime players come back just to try and damage the server and its only been reopened two day so I mean lol
People who hate the server also came back last time just to cause trouble and they didn't last long so that's good

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
I think PAC3 integration is a really tight rope to walk. Some communities can act responsibly with it, but you'll always have Some People. By the simple virtue of being an incredibly powerful customization tool, virtually nothing bar experience stops someone from making either an incredibly good, incredibly annoying, or incredibly complex outfit that everyone who sees it will have to download from that point forwards. It might not be harmful to another user's PC, but it might be an assault to the senses and to immersion.

Obviously, that's a user problem and not an addon problem, but can you really trust the community to have that in their hands? Trust is the ultimate factor here, and if you base the system on trustworthiness, you might have a very, very restricted system that ultimately means that very few people will actually enjoy PAC3's additions.

Still, there's something to be said for the things it can add: Physical traits unique to each character, such as lost or disfigured limbs, different body-shapes (within the limits of the player scale), and mild trinkets like a hat, glasses, or something like that come to mind. When you look at PAC3's capabilities within reason, you quickly realize that it opens the door for a myriad of ways for players to express their characters in minute ways that Helix's base systems generally just cannot do.

I don't want to pretend that I know how PAC3's integration with other addons works, nor how its API functions, but a solution I can think of is to whitelist individual outfits instead. I doubt that it's possible in any practical sense and if it were it's probably very easy to circumvent unless the outfit itself has some hash to verify it is what it is, but I like to imagine that some of the customization options I can select on the butchered and modified carcass of an MMORPG are possible on the corpse of a slightly less butchered first-person sandbox game.

verTix

Electron
Nebulae
solution: create a pac authority committee council union panel (comprised of me and @Chiptune and other pac adepts)

all custom pac outfits must be cleared by unanimous council committee panel board vote and all changes to said outfits must be cleared as well

Nebulae
I started playing New York Nights, a Vampire: The Masquerade server, and having to learn how to use PAC3 was miserable
I just copypaste whatever bdb gives me for a model and go from there, yet have to reload it each time i connect
people randomly crash all the time mid-rp
people crash on connect
and it's all for what?
so that i can use a basic model and there's people out there looking like Blade with their leather outfits
Why spend 8+ hours building your character in PAC3 when you can just describe yourself in your detailed description? When it can just help the server run excellently instead of having everything be a struggle? When you have to forsake being able to just rp to having to wait some time every so often just so people can reconnect?
It's a mess, and it only works for small communities, and even then it barely works whatsoever

am i an angry old man? yes. do i care? no. will i continue shaking my fist at the PAC3 cloud? yes

What he left out is that I put him and half the mfers here onto the server btw

Status
Not open for further replies.