Reactions: List

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Hi Folks.
Time for a professional map thread post

The latest update for Gears 5 has been announced
Operation 3: Gridiron

As part of this update, I've been helping out to get the latest map shipped, Pahanu
Pahanu_Web-5e79631a9f621-1024x576.jpg

PAHANU
Pahanu is a brand new map set among the ruins of an old civilization and the twisted oversized trunks of the jungle.

This intense jungle landscape puts a unique twist on Gears combat, with its organic cover, strong flanks, intimidating rifle positions and position-obscuring fauna that’s unlike anything else in Gears 5 today.

Two intimidating hills mark the spawn area for each team, leading into the open swamps of the middle of the map. The altar in its center contains a key weapon pickup, but making it there is half the battle.

Flank through the cave side for ranged weapons and another key weapon pickup. Prepare for close-range battles thanks to the tight nature of the cave formation and surrounding cover.

On the opposite side, the larger Ruins area offers a mix of combat, with solid Lancer positions overlooking the cover-filled center. Watch for risky, but deadly flanks from the mid-cut.

In addition to this, I have also been helping to ship new Tiles for the Escape gamemode

NEW TILE FAMILY: BARRACKS
We’re introducing a brand-new series of Tiles in Operation 3 with the arrival of Barracks! This new tile family sports a militaristic look and is packed with close-quarters, tight spaces that diversity it from the existing tile sets.

Mining and Ventilation also get a new tile each with the new Venom Scrubber room, which delays the spread of venom for a short amount of time.

The Barracks Tile family contains 18 tiles and will be available in future Operation Hives and through Map Builder.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Been well over a year, well... sadly I can't actually show you a whole lot of what I did get up to in that year.
But at the very least I can show you a duo project that me and Darakuu worked on for Black Mesa, called Interloping Habitat, whole bunch of jank explorations and learning experiences, here's a few shots of my work.

FCF015FE31DCAF27BA6B52BBBAE06F8C34A174F3

6DE452BC7690C2DA5B91551C58FABBCD72E8A876

528A73B54D8A07464724EF1EA6B7A32BB8577F57

More to come :)

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Been well over a year, well... sadly I can't actually show you a whole lot of what I did get up to in that year.
But at the very least I can show you a duo project that me and Darakuu worked on for Black Mesa, called Interloping Habitat, whole bunch of jank explorations and learning experiences, here's a few shots of my work.

More to come :grinning:
im so proud of you, idk if you can tell me, but did you also work on Gears Tactics, or just the main gears series?

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

More to come :grinning:
1) I MISSED YOU WELCOME BACK

2) I fucking love the Xen habitats in OPFor when is this RELEASING KAFE

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
im so proud of you, idk if you can tell me, but did you also work on Gears Tactics, or just the main gears series?
I was only on the main entry in the series, one of the best learning opportunities of my career. wouldn't have traded it for the world.
[doublepost=1628113322][/doublepost]
2) I fucking love the Xen habitats in OPFor when is this RELEASING KAFE
Darakuu and I already released it!
I'll leave you a link for it here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2553124065

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
I also had prototyped a concept for another level in the mod, which we did decide to cut for time.
A puzzle segment around HEV zombies who's suits would constantly be overpowered and making their zombified users invulnerable.
I was able to demonstrate it functioning, alongside an activation sequence for it, but an actually playable level with it will be one for the to-do pile in the eventual future.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I also had prototyped a concept for another level in the mod, which we did decide to cut for time.
A puzzle segment around HEV zombies who's suits would constantly be overpowered and making their zombified users invulnerable.
I was able to demonstrate it functioning, alongside an activation sequence for it, but an actually playable level with it will be one for the to-do pile in the eventual future.

First impressions; I love how natural it feels - it feels like an extension of what you saw in Questionable Ethics, but more of a... showpeice? Not quite a zoo, I can't think of the word. Something scientists use to study them in their natural habitats en-masse. For seminars and stuff?

Love the little intro things - the houndeye, zombie, scientists and the tentacle.

Really love the touches with the zombies in the first part of the habitat I'm in (the one being turned in the chair, those eating, the one that falls through the door when you open it, etc).

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
First impressions; I love how natural it feels - it feels like an extension of what you saw in Questionable Ethics, but more of a... showpeice? Not quite a zoo, I can't think of the word. Something scientists use to study them in their natural habitats en-masse. For seminars and stuff?

Love the little intro things - the houndeye, zombie, scientists and the tentacle.

Really love the touches with the zombies in the first part of the habitat I'm in (the one being turned in the chair, those eating, the one that falls through the door when you open it, etc).
Really glad you enjoyed it, was a fun experience to build!

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Finished it, loved it. It was harder than most of the base game honestly!

Wondering what your fave bit to make, @Kafe, since there are so many really cool things in there. I really loved the flesh swamp, which I assume grew way out of control after the Cascade. Loved the mockup Vort village and everything too.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Finished it, loved it. It was harder than most of the base game honestly!

Wondering what your fave bit to make, @Kafe, since there are so many really cool things in there. I really loved the flesh swamp, which I assume grew way out of control after the Cascade. Loved the mockup Vort village and everything too.

Everything in the second level was Darakuu's work, was a lot of fun brainstorming with him and planning out each of the two levels.
The habitat was my level design child, my favourite bit of that is probably the observation decks overlooking the habitats, love the aspect of being able to naturally observe the environment you need to traverse next, alongside the artificial features used to make the habitats (like how all the ambient wildlife noises are actually emitted from speakers dotted around the enclosures!)

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Needed to satisfy a idea for a space real quick
pFSiDBB.jpg

Not sure what the new hl2rp server will pull us into map wise, but It's nice to think of ideas.

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
Needed to satisfy a idea for a space real quick
pFSiDBB.jpg

Not sure what the new hl2rp server will pull us into map wise, but It's nice to think of ideas.
make us a map :) (PLEASE I BEG YOU A RURAL-CITY MIX)

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
make us a map :) (PLEASE I BEG YOU A RURAL-CITY MIX)
my brain thinking of this iteration comes to either white forest style locations, or warzone variants of old city maps.
stay tuned for the i17 warzone redux, it's just one vaporised crater.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Adding water source 2 back into my editor, always a nice addition

so, who's up for some Spelunking?
HzTbPy1.jpg

werLAlx.jpg