Kafe's Map thread

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Hammer++ is pretty dang good to work with huh.

Established the surrounding terrain for the valley, bit of visual work to mess around with some of the new tools I've got to play with, nice I can paint brush foliage in the map, does demand some adjustment to make sure I don't have tons of junk in the floor.
1Ini6a3.jpg

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

Established the surrounding terrain for the valley, bit of visual work to mess around with some of the new tools I've got to play with, nice I can paint brush foliage in the map, does demand some adjustment to make sure I don't have tons of junk in the floor.
1Ini6a3.jpg

when will we expect tailor-built kafe maps for the server

Reactions: List

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
when will we expect tailor-built kafe maps for the server
I did try doing requests prior, but my brain is a inconsistently motivated mess so it was too unreliable.
Makes more sense for me now to just build things that I find interesting and adjust them to suit what people might want to work with.

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I did try doing requests prior, but my brain is a inconsistently motivated mess so it was too unreliable.
Makes more sense for me now to just build things that I find interesting and adjust them to suit what people might want to work with.
do not forget event boxes honey

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

1Ini6a3.jpg
Big improvement, I fucking love it. How big are you intending to make the map?

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Big improvement, I fucking love it. How big are you intending to make the map?
Tends to be as far as my willpower takes me,
Although I have a few locations in mind I want to try, lot of them are me having another crack at locations in the original rp_refuge

- Combine base on the coastline, I have a interesting concept for it, but need to think about it some more as on it's own the location would be unraidable.

- Recreation of the rp_refuge resistance hub built in the old mining hole, preferably better spaced and constructed, got too messy in the original.

- some sort of abandoned village in the centre, akin to INEU_Valley but more tightly packed and less grid like, mainly just want to have a giant antlion tower emerge through the middle of a building, figure it'd look cool.

- and an underground antlion cave, may be cooler to have for riskier navigation across the map, add in some auto spawning NPCs and a few traps scattered in the caves, could be a nervous place to explore, would be fun for me to capitalise on.

Knowing myself, I don't know if I'll complete them all, but they're spaces I'm interested in exploring at the moment.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
- some sort of abandoned village in the centre, akin to INEU_Valley but more tightly packed and less grid like, mainly just want to have a giant antlion tower emerge through the middle of a building, figure it'd look cool.
gonna jump on this for next week. will let you know how it goes

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Simple bit to kick off with for the antlion infested village.
Going to kick off with the centrepiece building, a larger, multi floored building that's been uprooted and wrecked by an antlion hill that emerged from the centre.

The regular ant hill asset is a good baseline, but for me it's too small and we would not be able to utilise it in layout given it was never intended for that, what I want is the ant hill in the centre to be large scale and function as an access point to the antlion caves under the map that I've indicated in some of the first map posts.
For this I'll be creating a displacement in the spirit of the model asset instead for now, will let me carve some openings in the wall of the antlion hill for people and monsters to enter and exit.

NeKlppJ.jpg

Blockout antlion spires, main ant hill asset for reference, and green men for scale.

First version on the left was a scale fuckup late last night, with the second version on the right being my current iteration, it's in a few ways too uniform, but as this hits more of the marks I'm looking for with just a simple displacement being subdivided automatically I can look at adjusting this to add on some of the chaos shown in the original model.

The uprooted building will be made around this.

Last edited:
Nebulae
do i witness the next C17 Zack, map creator right here?

the visionary creativity tells me that ur even gonna surpass city 17 zack

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
First steps on the wrecked building surrounding the spire
bra5C9W.jpg

qkjCBp7.jpg

Initial thoughts are mixed, feel like the concept will work, but this is probably a false start as far as the geometry is concerned, gonna strip out this one and try out some alternatives.

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
bra5C9W.jpg

qkjCBp7.jpg

Initial thoughts are mixed, feel like the concept will work, but this is probably a false start as far as the geometry is concerned, gonna strip out this one and try out some alternatives.
Is this where Marcus Fenix grows his tomatoes

Nebulae
bra5C9W.jpg

qkjCBp7.jpg

looks like the beta antlion king itself

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
more or less ripped out the antlion building at the moment, gonna tackle it again soon.

but fancied quickly testing what I can do with another idea I had on hand.
Chunk of the ocean is repelling water away, why and how? I've not built that yet, so I guess it's a mystery.

This one is more or less a quick throw together, watersource saves me yet again, intending on a different shape and scale to this, but nice to know it works.

Only challenge with a lot of these, is the way I get the curves on the waterfall textures leaves collision mandatory for now, which is something I'll have to address or work around in future.

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
more or less ripped out the antlion building at the moment, gonna tackle it again soon.

but fancied quickly testing what I can do with another idea I had on hand.
Chunk of the ocean is repelling water away, why and how? I've not built that yet, so I guess it's a mystery.

This one is more or less a quick throw together, watersource saves me yet again, intending on a different shape and scale to this, but nice to know it works.

Only challenge with a lot of these, is the way I get the curves on the waterfall textures leaves collision mandatory for now, which is something I'll have to address or work around in future.

literally my base

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Quickly mashing together a location idea for a train depot

this place doesn't have much use given the railway was nuked at the bridge, but it's still got it's perks.
8VthMlB.jpg

8rshq2A.jpg

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Slower going at the moment, but I have integrated the trainyard into the map now after tidying it's geo up a bit
4W5sy0L.jpg

qCM9o5C.jpg

Small road runs over the top as well, not sure where that's going yet.
7bFdiTE.jpg