Suggestion Lose RL rank on death

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
Suggestion: RLs who are PKed lose their rank with a minimum of one month spent in a cool-down period before they can reapply on a new cop character.

Headcops are slightly exempt from this in that they are guaranteed another RL character after their cool-down which should be around half a month, this allows a Headcop to get back into the swing of things IC but time for the consequences of their previous characters absence to be felt IC.

Why?: Getting rid of an arbitrary OOC bias. Currently, Rank Leaders are protected in that they are free to make another RL character rather than suffer derank like everybody else, this has allowed for a clique of the same players to hold onto considerable influence in the cop faction on an IC and OOC level without a viable way for them to be removed long-term through IC means, as every time they are PKed, they simply come back with another RL, exerting the same agenda and influence as their previous character which is negatively affecting the growth and reputation of the faction which has previously been discussed here

Should several RLs be PKed back to back, resulting in a serious absence of them which may affect the functionality of Civil Protection, it would fall to the Ordinals to carry out some of their basic functions such as promotions, requisitions, etc and potentially, with headcop approval, designate some 75% for interim field-promotions which they can apply to keep, which opens the avenue for the Garrison to RP a lack of leadership.

Requirements: Community, @Numbers, @RedMan, and @sky approval.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
9qrbyo0.png

reinstated after discussion with HCs
cK4ecH3.png

it was an event
TVgvmnh.png

removed from the position for about 2 months

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
did you forget apoc
my death?
it was invalid because
a) the kill was not authed in the first place, it was completely uninvolved staff members that ran the command because they extrapolated from generic PK rules
b) the execution was deemed invalid by the PK appeal manager at the time (/roll fuckery)

I took it voluntarily and was allowed to make another RL

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
thats not how you spell lose
according to what you just posted:

TVgvmnh.png

removed from the position for about 2 months
this:
RLs who are PKed lose their rank with a minimum of one month spent in a cool-down period
doesn't matter because it was already done in geneva before, with twice the time @Lewis! posted about.

so how's this losing? did we lose because @Brandon_ ate a temporary demotion for charging you?
is that your rational for why we shouldn't do what we already seem to be doing?

it was invalid
it's literally what you did though

you died, you got another character. written rogue/kill rule update didn't take affect until post-geneva so you would've been given another RL regardless of validity back then, as of now it's changed:

the recent update said:
Rank Leaders and ORDINALs cannot ordinarily be permanently killed, unless if extremely strong reasoning is provided.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
so how's this losing? did we lose because @Brandon_ ate a temporary demotion for charging you?
is that your rational for why we shouldn't do what we already seem to be doing?
useless suggestion cuz it’s already being done
as I said before, RLs just don’t die a lot because people have seem to spread some mentality like a virus “omg u can’t kill them!!!”

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
it's literally what you did though

you died, you got another character. written rogue/kill rule update didn't take affect until post-geneva so you would've been given another RL regardless of validity back then, as of now it's changed:
I have absolutely no clue what you're even trying to say

Reactions: List

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
useless suggestion cuz it’s already being done
so tell me how we're losing, huh

you still haven't answered that

I have absolutely no clue what you're even trying to say
here, I'll dumb it down:

the rule was different for maps prior to geneva
previously there were no ironclad rules about PK's for command units/transhumans
now that has changed

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Suggestion: RLs who are PKed lose their rank with a minimum of one month spent in a cool-down period before they can reapply on a new cop character.

Headcops are slightly exempt from this in that they are guaranteed another RL character after their cool-down which should be around half a month, this allows a Headcop to get back into the swing of things IC but time for the consequences of their previous characters absence to be felt IC.
The activity and performance of the faction heavily relies on the presence of Rank Leaders. If you remove them from the equation, you are quickly going to end up with a faction that falls flat on its head. This has been observed to be the case since my arrival to the faction and it appears to be the case till this very day. I am not opposed to dynamic leadership, but this should be something to consider.

Should several RLs be PKed back to back, resulting in a serious absence of them which may affect the functionality of Civil Protection, it would fall to the Ordinals to carry out some of their basic functions such as promotions, requisitions, etc and potentially, with headcop approval, designate some 75% for interim field-promotions which they can apply to keep, which opens the avenue for the Garrison to RP a lack of leadership.
This sounds decent in concept, but it does not fit well with the idea of gradual transhumanisation of the garrison. As a matter of fact, you would likely accelerate the process since you would be promoting a lot of semi-competent but eligible candidates. Intervention on behalf of the Overwatch Transhuman Arm is always indicative that things have become unreliable and unstable, and in this circumstance, the restoration of the Civil Protection team leadership would not be viable. The garrison would simply be subsumed since it is the easier alternative - perhaps something to consider in terms of narritive when concluding this iteration.

Why?: Getting rid of an arbitrary OOC bias. Currently, Rank Leaders are protected in that they are free to make another RL character rather than suffer derank like everybody else, this has allowed for a clique of the same players to hold onto considerable influence in the cop faction on an IC and OOC level without a viable way for them to be removed long-term through IC means, as every time they are PKed, they simply come back with another RL, exerting the same agenda and influence as their previous character which is negatively affecting the growth and reputation of the faction which has previously been discussed here
Within the twenty four hours of being appointed as the new Headcop, there seems to be an accusation of an OOCly bias despite not undertaking any decisions in regards to Rank Leader PKs. I do on the other hand wish to open my mailbox and encourage a little private discussion regarding the "agenda and influence" you bought up since it concerns the culture of the faction.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
it does not fit well with the idea of gradual transhumanisation of the garrison
considering that was entirely left up to player choice I'm sure we can discount the lore implications.

Intervention on behalf of the Overwatch Transhuman Arm is always indicative that things have become unreliable and unstable, and in this circumstance, the restoration of the Civil Protection team leadership would not be viable.
The garrison would simply be subsumed since it is the easier alternative
why?

cops are in-lore drafting anyone and everyone who can hold a gun who's been penned in the cities and isn't a closet lambda stooge, the transhuman conversion facilities are mostly destroyed or unable to be held outside of isolated areas and the mainstay blacksites. sure, it would make the garrison more reliable but there isn't an easy way to fly close to a hundred people out to the middle of nowhere to get mass transhumanized on a whim.

ordinals have been making decisions on the side since the second map, that hasn't changed anything.

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
considering that was entirely left up to player choice I'm sure we can discount the lore implications.
The player choice remains because not everyone within the faction wants to play as OTA. I should make it clear that just because we are not mandating players to endure the transhumanisation process, it does not take it out of the realm of possibility. As a matter of fact, the CivPro application makes the candidates explicitly aware that their character will be subjected to the process eventually.

cops are in-lore drafting anyone and everyone who can hold a gun who's been penned in the cities and isn't a closet lambda stooge, the transhuman conversion facilities are mostly destroyed or unable to be held outside of isolated areas and the mainstay blacksites. sure, it would make the garrison more reliable but there isn't an easy way to fly close to a hundred people out to the middle of nowhere to get mass transhumanized on a whim.
You are asking me to disregard the lore implications, yet you are referring to them yourself in the next sentence.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
As a matter of fact, the CivPro application makes the candidates explicitly aware that their character will be subjected to the process eventually.
You are asking me to disregard the lore implications, yet you are referring to them yourself in the next sentence.
Because the gradual aspect, as it was altered by headstaff, is optional and has been that way since the depot. By the time it would become mandated for literally everyone the server is either outright ending or civpro is on the verge of removal as a faction to be subsumed as some overwatch proxy or whatever, in the interim people might as well be themselves.

as you said:
perhaps something to consider in terms of narritive when concluding this iteration.

Intervention on behalf of the Overwatch Transhuman Arm is always indicative that things have become unreliable and unstable, and in this circumstance, the restoration of the Civil Protection team leadership would not be viable.
Ordinals have given the orders fair often over the map cycles, same with phase-1's to the point half my patrols were responding to hails for recon or covering them mid-RTB. Later, with phase-2's, although most of those orders didn't need us due to the objectives or specific codes.

Civpro has been top-heavy with 75's and 50's for ages, to the point I've had cops come to me complaining that they've been stuck around 50 for maps ages ago and how that dynamic isn't stable because a single mistake can get them punted back down to a 25, dynamic leadership thoughts aside there's still plenty of people who can be shuffled around to fill vacant roles from others moving upstairs if it was truly necessary.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
cops are still ICly forced into transhumanization
those who didn't post on the thread are simply "at the end of the queue" or "haven't been picked yet"

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Civpro has been top-heavy with 75's and 50's for ages
I know I'll sound pedantic, but a lot of 50s doesn't make the roster top-heavy. It's basically just proof you completed the trial period of 25 - certified not-glue-eater, in essence. From what I've experienced, the jump between 50 and 75 is a Grand Canyon levels of chasm compared to the footlong gap between 25 and 50.

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
The activity and performance of the faction heavily relies on the presence of Rank Leaders. If you remove them from the equation, you are quickly going to end up with a faction that falls flat on its head. This has been observed to be the case since my arrival to the faction and it appears to be the case till this very day. I am not opposed to dynamic leadership, but this should be something to consider.
A valid concern, but I think the chances of there being no or drastically reduced numbers of RLs unlikely in the grand scheme of things, there will always be someone, even if there is a delay in getting them started.

his sounds decent in concept, but it does not fit well with the idea of gradual transhumanisation of the garrison. As a matter of fact, you would likely accelerate the process since you would be promoting a lot of semi-competent but eligible candidates. Intervention on behalf of the Overwatch Transhuman Arm is always indicative that things have become unreliable and unstable, and in this circumstance, the restoration of the Civil Protection team leadership would not be viable. The garrison would simply be subsumed since it is the easier alternative - perhaps something to consider in terms of narritive when concluding this iteration.
In terms of narrative, if the Garrison really has allowed all its RLs to be killed off, which chances are would be the result of their own actions and a mutiny, then the OTA getting involved would actually suit the theme really quite well.

There are people on the Transhuman queue who have been on there for quite a while, I think if the Garrison is struggling, their getting shunted down the process faster would fit the theme fine, means the player can play OTA quicker also.

Within the twenty four hours of being appointed as the new Headcop, there seems to be an accusation of an OOCly bias despite not undertaking any decisions in regards to Rank Leader PKs. I do on the other hand wish to open my mailbox and encourage a little private discussion regarding the "agenda and influence" you bought up since it concerns the culture of the faction.
Nothing directed towards you, I'm actually glad you are the new Headcop.

All the points I can make have already been discussed in the thread I linked above.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
In terms of narrative, if the Garrison really has allowed all its RLs to be killed off, which chances are would be the result of their own actions and a mutiny, then the OTA getting involved would actually suit the theme really quite well.

There are people on the Transhuman queue who have been on there for quite a while, I think if the Garrison is struggling, their getting shunted down the process faster would fit the theme fine, means the player can play OTA quicker also.
And don't forget, OTA Soldiers are still characters. With their own thoughts, emotions and feelings. Creating a flexible mesh of Internal Struggle conflicting with External Expectation. And the realization that being a soldier isn't all that it was worked up to be :^)

I would love to see more people as Phase 1's experience that dynamic.

(Refer to HUNTER-3 schizo moments)