Mathematics thread.

Gr4Ss

Proton
Nebulae
Wire gates aren't restricted to AND, XOR, NAND, and so on. You've also got math operators.
Actually all digital logic is entirely implemented with just NAND or NOR nowadays because those are the cheapest/fastest and you can quite easily create everything else with that. When designing things you usually use AND/OR in two-layer logic (sum of products/product of sums, which is basically OR after AND/AND after OR), because that is easier to work with and it directly translates into two layer NAND/NOR logic thanks to a great property of logic addition/multiplication: the inverse of the sum is the same as the product of the inverses aka (A + B)' = (A'B').

Just with those NAND and NOR you can build adders, multiplexers, decoders, flip-flops... Those then get used to make bigger components (carry-adders, multipliers, registers), which in turn are sometimes used in even bigger components (computational/logical units), and then people just use those as building blocks in when designing stuff.

But yeah, your entire CPU is build using NAND/NOR. Maybe I should build one in wire someday (well, implement an algorithm because programmable CPU's quickly need a lot of gates).

Reactions: List

jamEs

fqjdlkmsbvqfgkhpoiuaeazer
Nebulae
a

Last edited:

Gr4Ss

Proton
Nebulae
De Morgan's Law, right? Teacher rammed it in our heads. Even after him telling us everything can be derived from NAND & NOR and after having to unwillingly rape a computer power source, some printplates, this was made:
gHEVQs5.png

And it's still not rammed in my head quite yet. Never thought that way of transferring what I learned in Electronics to Wiremod.

http://www.nand2tetris.org/ is a website that aims to do something like your last sentence, I think.

We've got a new Electronics teacher next year, and from what I've seen, we're probably going to design a few PCB's and later produce them to make a really horrible CPU. Or something even worse.

Now that I think of it, we're probably just going to make a PIC Microcontroller. (or at least use the IC to make a usable one)
Yep, De Morgan's law. Means that OR(AND(A, B), AND(C, D)) is equal to NAND(NAND(A, B), NAND(C, D)).

And implementing an algorithm in hardware is fun :) We had an entire course on that (Digital Electronics and Processors) where we basically saw everything from the ground up (as in, start with a transistor and go all the way to programmable CPU's, in both technical and practical aspects).

Reactions: List

jamEs

fqjdlkmsbvqfgkhpoiuaeazer
Nebulae
a

Last edited: