Matrix Resurrections

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
LETS

FUCKING

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Let's hope this doesn't turn out like Revolutions or Reloaded.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
a very cold take.

revolutions and reloaded were good (even if they weren't as good as the first)
Yeah but frankly unless it's capable of kickstarting the franchise back up it might just kill the entire thing dead.

I'd rather see two more stellar movies than one lurkwarm imitation.

Reactions: List

Cindy

Nebulae
If they're following the Matrix Online timeline, Morpheus is dead and that new guy is his and Niobe's son.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
If they're following the Matrix Online timeline, Morpheus is dead and that new guy is his and Niobe's son.
Taken from Wikipedia said:
  • Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Morpheus. Abdul-Mateen II replaces Laurence Fishburne, who played the character in previous films.

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
call me cynical

but this looks like a cash grab that focuses on special effects, and not what made the matrix the hit single it was

the philosophy, the lore, the characters (with phenomenal acting), and the (at the time) amazing special effects were what made it good

this looks like it only has 1, maybe 2 of those just from the trailer alone

we'll see in the future

Cindy

Nebulae
Well, it's made by one of the Wachowski sisters, I'd hope that it's as true of a recontinuation as it gets.

wikipedia

Huh. Interesting.

A part of me wants to believe maybe he's still his son and he merely adopted the name? But I doubt that- guess we'll just have to see as more information gets revealed.

I love the Matrix with all my heart so even if it's not amazing enough to herald a new trilogy I'm still gonna eat this thing up.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
quote quote

they'll likely justify it by saying its a new reset of the Matrix and all the people inside it have changed

Morpheus may have gotten younger within the matrix

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
they'll likely justify it by saying its a new reset of the Matrix and all the people inside it have changed
dunno if I'd consider that since Agent Johnson is back

more likely Trinity is just some code fragment of her former self, morpheus is an imposter and neo's in some limbo state.

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
i could swear neo died in revolutions when he sacrificied himself in the fight against agent smith

It was left up to interpretation and never really explicitly stated. It'll probably be covered in Resurrection. His physical body could have died or lived and plugged back in, while his mind is definitely lingering in the Matrix, possibly clinging onto another's body if his actual body died from that surge the machines did to defeat Smith.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
His physical body could have died or lived and plugged back in
it's been confirmed through trailer analysis that this is what happened to him and trinity

both of them have flashes of different faces during some scenes so my guess is they either got reset into new lives within the simulation or their consciousness ended up as remnant code and they're being "reborn"

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
it's been confirmed through trailer analysis that this is what happened to him and trinity

both of them have flashes of different faces during some scenes so my guess is they either got reset into new lives within the simulation or their consciousness ended up as remnant code and they're being "reborn"

I'm honestly starting to get the vibe that the 'Resurrection' bit is literal, kinda like 'Guardians' was in the title for Halo 5: Guardians, everyone looking for deeper meaning but overlooking the possibility that the answer is right there in the title. We do see Trinity's body hooked back up to a new machine interface, and the machines never actually returned Neo's body (and it was explicitly stated that he was not recycled, like what happens to anyone else that dies), which was the catalyst to Morpheus going and getting himself assassinated.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
catalyst to Morpheus going and getting himself assassinated.
I don't think they'll shift away from the online iteration, if anything the recasting makes it feel like it's either someone else using the title now that the actual man is dead, his son or an imposter working with the machines. Keep in mind there's also trailer flashes of his body (the 'new' morpheus) being constructed out of some kind of machine.

Given that both Trinity and Neo seem to be in machine custody and alive (or at least brought back to life) and the facial oddities from the trailer, it's likely they were simply reinserted into the matrix under new identities. What this means is anyone's guess.

you might want to spoiler tag your post too.