National Guard Comments, Complaints, and Criticisms

Nebulae
I understand people's concerns regarding this 'TDM' mentality, however let me play devils advocate and put it down to facts:

- The National Guard's leadership have practically declared war publicly on the foreign population of the city, as seen below:

image.png

- Said foreign population mainly consists of violent ex-convicts with a history of toppling established governments/tyranny.
- The National Guard's members have been witnessed committing heinous acts against individuals, a lot unarmed; this doesn't win hearts and minds.

This us vs them mentality is completely understandable from an in-character perspective- if you act like the oppressors of previous occupations, the rebels will act like their name entails.

Reactions: List

Gyarik

gu
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I understand people's concerns regarding this 'TDM' mentality, however let me play devils advocate and put it down to facts:

- The National Guard's leadership have practically declared war publicly on the foreign population of the city, as seen below:

image.png

- Said foreign population mainly consists of violent ex-convicts with a history of toppling established governments/tyranny.
- The National Guard's members have been witnessed committing heinous acts against individuals, a lot unarmed; this doesn't win hearts and minds.

This us vs them mentality is completely understandable from an in-character perspective- if you act like the oppressors of previous occupations, the rebels will act like their name entails.
Which still becomes detrimental to the faction and honestly it's slowly turning us into NPCs who only appear for s2k's sake. Yesterday I was already burnt out after a 10-15 minute raid and swapped characters, seems like most followed suit as well given the general lack of NG for the rest of the day.

rob

Nebulae

image.png

The issue yesterday is that a few Guardsmen were S2Ked while they were trying to roleplay, which resulted in them leaving and others doing the same (like me), otherwise the raid would've saw more Guardsmen

I understand we're the baddies, but using us as target practice because you don't want to roleplay and just want to shoot is not a healthy way of going about it

There's better ways to go about that, one example at the start of the map was when Guardsmen had pulled over a vehicle, which resulted in a tense standoff and the rebels at the scene being shot, a situation everyone was happy with

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
i just want to be there to help support the NG as a vort, since a majority of what the vorts are supposed to be doing is incredibly unclear and uncertain and i'd rather go with the local side as an IC "local" vort.

i try to assist the guard in an attack on the club, waiting to teleport outside of the club to begin any kind of assault, and i get vilified and called some horrid traitor (despite the fact other vortigaunts took the opportunity to teleport out and then snipe guards right in their backs).

i aid the guard on an attack on the PD multiple times, get given the title of private first time around, get threatened with being executed the second.

hell, i go out and help with mindprobing, getting valuable info from prisoners in a fun, RP-focused way that all parties involved enjoy. now that side of things is completely hated and forbidden, despite the fact it brought about loads of RP.

the NG focus from leads over "no vorts kill all greens" is fucking ridiculous and just makes the RP less enjoyable all around. it's all resistance in the end, whats with the sudden and random xenophobia

rob

Nebulae
the NG focus from leads over "no vorts kill all greens" is fucking ridiculous and just makes the RP less enjoyable all around. it's all resistance in the end, whats with the sudden and random xenophobia
That would be the fault of @Lewis!'s NG character who recently got recruited and has been heavily insistent on banning Vorts

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
This is not true, I am simply racist against frogs on one character who happens to be a Sergent.

Xenophobia isn't a sudden concept Vortigaunts were never meant to be Privates or attached to the NG, it just wasn't enforced ICly. I'm changing that through IC means and can be thwarted through IC means.

rob

Nebulae
This is not true, I am simply racist against frogs on one character who happens to be a Sergent.

Xenophobia isn't a sudden concept Vortigaunts were never meant to be Privates or attached to the NG, it just wasn't enforced ICly. I'm changing that through IC means and can be thwarted through IC means.
we-are-gunna-kill-you-sponge-bob.gif

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
That would be the fault of @Lewis!'s NG character who recently got recruited and has been heavily insistent on banning Vorts
It’s been very frustrating to deal with.

I’ll be real, from the beginning I just wanted a vort in the NG but got told no which I was fine with, but I still wanted to act with heavy NG sympathies. Lended a fair bit of aid with things, and got given Pvt. status by an NCO/CO for helping with the PD raid (always said it’d be good for it to be honourary out of fairness).

But since the club raid, I’ve been implied as to having a bounty on my head and to be on every edgy rebel’s kill list just because I shot into the club, once, when no one was actually in that hallway space to act as suppressing fire. Then I get accused of actually injuring people, which I know damn well I didn’t because as soon as the Lt. next to me died I went on a mission to recover the body and the gun, and take them both straight back to the PD out of the conflict.

All I can ask, is if I’m going to get these horrid consequences for helping NG- who kind are the only ones who have given consistent, enjoyable roleplay outside of the occasional other vorts- then what the fuck am I supposed to do? Sit with one of the many big rebel groups and act as a fucking on demand medic 24/7 or be their own personal infinite ammo gun? There’s been no effort put into supporting vorts this map, none whatsoever, so why am I being screwed over for trying to support myself and give myself RP?

I know most of NG are fine with me. A sweeping majority are cool with me helping and hanging around. But it’s clear with recent additions of the laws that higher ups are trying to make the faction be anti vort and anti xen (the latter I get but not the former). So what am I supposed to do?

rob

Nebulae
It’s been very frustrating to deal with.

I’ll be real, from the beginning I just wanted a vort in the NG but got told no which I was fine with, but I still wanted to act with heavy NG sympathies. Lended a fair bit of aid with things, and got given Pvt. status by an NCO/CO for helping with the PD raid (always said it’d be good for it to be honourary out of fairness).

But since the club raid, I’ve been implied as to having a bounty on my head and to be on every edgy rebel’s kill list just because I shot into the club, once, when no one was actually in that hallway space to act as suppressing fire. Then I get accused of actually injuring people, which I know damn well I didn’t because as soon as the Lt. next to me died I went on a mission to recover the body and the gun, and take them both straight back to the PD out of the conflict.

All I can ask, is if I’m going to get these horrid consequences for helping NG- who kind are the only ones who have given consistent, enjoyable roleplay outside of the occasional other vorts- then what the fuck am I supposed to do? Sit with one of the many big rebel groups and act as a fucking on demand medic 24/7 or be their own personal infinite ammo gun? There’s been no effort put into supporting vorts this map, none whatsoever, so why am I being screwed over for trying to support myself and give myself RP?

I know most of NG are fine with me. A sweeping majority are cool with me helping and hanging around. But it’s clear with recent additions of the laws that higher ups are trying to make the faction be anti vort and anti xen (the latter I get but not the former). So what am I supposed to do?
Yeah, your Vort's presence has been great in the NG so far, I love it, we should kill @Lewis!

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae

Going ‘IC is IC’ doesn’t make it enjoyable or fun to deal with. I kill you IC and PK you, then the Marshal sets a bounty on my head for assassinating their NCOs/COs. Or further reinforces the whole ‘yeah vorts are bad look at what they did to this guy we should hate them even more’.

The thwarting process doesn’t fix the issue, it knocks a distracting and annoying peg that happens to cause everything to fall on top

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
cant force people to rp. some people exist only to get domed, just get better
This kind of behavior where you dismiss other people's feelings? That's going to cause other people to just... you know, leave. They're not getting paid for this, it's not part of some government program. Roleplay is for fun. If it's not fun, why even bother?
(despite the fact other vortigaunts took the opportunity to teleport out and then snipe guards right in their backs)
I will go ahead and clear up this misconception. Three vortigaunts were used for this particular teleportation maneuver during the nightclub kerfuffle: Sil, myself and I think the third one was @FieldersNL. My vortigaunt, Weaver, was heavily against teleporting outside just to RPG the APC, and he was told that wasn't the plan - which turned out to be a lie from someone he trusted. By the time I saw that rebel pull out the rocket launcher and demolish the APC, Weaver became catatonic with shock, and did not assist in the cleanup operation.

I cannot speak for what Fielders' vortigaunt did, since I did not follow him and that RPG rebel after they wrecked the armored vehicle.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
This kind of behavior where you dismiss other people's feelings? That's going to cause other people to just... you know, leave. They're not getting paid for this, it's not part of some government program. Roleplay is for fun. If it's not fun, why even bother?

I will go ahead and clear up this misconception. Three vortigaunts were used for this particular teleportation maneuver during the nightclub kerfuffle: Sil, myself and I think the third one was @FieldersNL. My vortigaunt, Weaver, was heavily against teleporting outside just to RPG the APC, and he was told that wasn't the plan - which turned out to be a lie from someone he trusted. By the time I saw that rebel pull out the rocket launcher and demolish the APC, Weaver became catatonic with shock, and did not assist in the cleanup operation.

I cannot speak for what Fielders' vortigaunt did, since I did not follow him and that RPG rebel after they wrecked the armored vehicle.
Yeah I only saw one vort do it, that part frustrated me a lot. Nothing against Weaver, I just was there and saw a vort and Harland jumping the fence behind the guards just to shoot them in the back mid firefight

rob

Nebulae
Yeah I only saw one vort do it, that part frustrated me a lot. Nothing against Weaver, I just was there and saw a vort and Harland jumping the fence behind the guards just to shoot them in the back mid firefight
gonna admit I did that on my Vort but it felt really scummy tbh, would take it back if I could

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
I will continue to be racist until my subordinates execute me for incompetence.

At the end of the day there is nothing stopping anybody from interacting with your Vort, getting use out of you, roleplaying etc,

I've only made it clear you are not welcome in the Guards HQ or as an "honorary" member

edit: and I will apologies if you have felt cheated out of roleplay, that wasn't my intention and going forward I'll make sure being a cunt to your vort is unironically more enjoyable for you.

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Said foreign population mainly consists of violent ex-convicts
This always feels like a weird point to make, for a couple of reasons.
First, I think we're sufficiently far away from Depot days (seven maps since, as a matter of fact) that a large chunk of rebels aren't former inmates from Azov sea prison.
Second, they're convicts by Combine standards. Since when did we decide that Combine actually has a fair and balanced judicial system that only imprisons those that truly deserve it? Because I sure as hell didn't get the memo for that meeting.

Nebulae
fair and balanced judicial system that only imprisons those that truly deserve it
Well most escapees immediate response was to take up arms and go into combat so I can only imagine they were mostly all in there for a reason to begin with, mostly violent, like I said.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
I will continue to be racist until my subordinates execute me for incompetence.

At the end of the day there is nothing stopping anybody from interacting with your Vort, getting use out of you, roleplaying etc,

I've only made it clear you are not welcome in the Guards HQ or as an "honorary" member

edit: and I will apologies if you have felt cheated out of roleplay, that wasn't my intention and going forward I'll make sure being a cunt to your vort is unironically more enjoyable for you.
There are things stopping that.

As I mentioned, I was literally told by @Appetite Ruining Kebab that for me siding with NG that I was considered effectively vilified and a traitor to the rebels. Then a character came to my bakery shortly afterwards just to tell me that in-character, near word for word. Whether or not it was him as a character, I don't know, but that message was made clear IC and OOC.

So, what am I to do, when I've been told that I'm considered evil and horrid for what I did by the major group of people, and then get ushered out of the PD and threatened with execution if I come back inside

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
So, what am I to do, when I've been told that I'm considered evil and horrid for what I did by the major group of people, and then get ushered out of the PD and threatened with execution if I come back inside
This is a situation you put your character in, allying with the Authoritarian nationalist military dictatorship probably wasn't the best idea when you're a species minority