Naughty Dog's SJW Agenda

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
And marketing

It's a marketable topic right now.
Marketing doesn't sink it's hooks that deep into the actual game unless it is a very shitty Publisher.
Naughty Dog has had a safe track record, with the exception of Drake's Concrete hair that must maintain it's style at all times.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Marketing doesn't sink it's hooks that deep into the actual game unless it is a very shitty Publisher.
Naughty Dog has had a safe track record, with the exception of Drake's Concrete hair that must maintain it's style at all times.
Yeah but making a game that you can market as appealing to broader demographics as well as addressing what many countries believe to be a modern problem (That of, representation) is (or was, more people are getting fed up with it) a smart move, and one that doesn't really come at the cost of creativity if it's done going into it

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
top contender for the most virgin thread on nebulous - who gives a fuck

as long as the game is decent, why does representation bother so many people

Akula

Sangheili Bias
Nebulae
Sure, I'm against bad one dimensional characters that are there purely for the purpose of being there, as they hurt the minority they represent just as much as the game.

People seem to be using it as an excuse to rail against every character like that though.

MaelRadecs

Best Damn ODST
Nebulae
top contender for the most virgin thread on nebulous - who gives a fuck

as long as the game is decent, why does representation bother so many people
This wasn't intended to become a TLOU thread, I'm talking about how the story of Uncharted has completely changed due to this as well as some questionable company decisions which are shown in the video.

I'd rather a game stick to its story than make changes to appeal to a specific crowd.

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
Not if the characters actually feel like they've had effort, actual depth and thought put into them

It does make the game worse if they are one dimensional characters there to fill in some quota.
This, else I wouldn't be saying what I said in my previous post

I just find it weird how it's the new norm to include minority characters because it's the trend: I've never said I'm contrary against it when the characters make sense and aren't just there to prevent news headlines like "Why Does X Game Not Have Any Wamen In It???"

It'd be one thing if a woman or whatever "minority" society "hates" were in a videogame for reasons outside the prevention of triggering people and media outlets with the same stupid fucking mindset.

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
Honestly, I played TLOU more for the feeling of being a father caring for a child than the whole development of Ellie's character, although, I did enjoy it and admit it was all done very well. The game was my first 10/10 and to see the story being more about Ellie than Joel raising Ellie sort of makes me not give much of a damn about the game, especially not if I have to buy a new console for it.

There was something about doing terrible things for the regret of not being able to save his own daughter. Had Joel been a character without a daughter, it's less likely that he'd refuse handing Ellie over in the final scenes of the first game. It'll be very difficult for Naughty Dog to come up with the story off the back of such an already fantastic story.

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae
There's no such thing as a "sjw agenda", they're simply realizing there's an untapped playerbase into the progressive demographic and are trying to seize it by adding elements that appeal to that. One could argue it's no different than the early 2000 vyda companies' obsession with violence and hypersexualization into their game to appeal to edgy/horny teens.

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
There's no such thing as a "sjw agenda", they're simply realizing there's an untapped playerbase into the progressive demographic and are trying to seize it by adding elements that appeal to that. One could argue it's no different than the early 2000 vyda companies' obsession with violence and hypersexualization into their game to appeal to edgy/horny teens.

Untapped and over-exaggerated. The obsession with hyper-violence and sexualization doesn't only appeal to edgy/horny teenagers, it's pretty much the majority of gamers. Shooters, hash-and-slash, run & gun, RPGs, violent adventures with hot thotties make the big bucks. The best games that are coming getting released almost always involve drugs, sex, violence, guns and action or variants of the same thing.

You're right about it not being an agenda more so than simply trying to cater to a specific focus group, but likewise, by making 'progressive' minded videogames, they're turning off at least half of gamers.

Reactions: List

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae
Untapped and over-exaggerated. The obsession with hyper-violence and sexualization doesn't only appeal to edgy/horny teenagers, it's pretty much the majority of gamers. Shooters, hash-and-slash, run & gun, RPGs, violent adventures with hot thotties make the big bucks. The best games that are coming getting released almost always involve drugs, sex, violence, guns and action or variants of the same thing.

You're right about it not being an agenda more so than simply trying to cater to a specific focus group, but likewise, by making 'progressive' minded videogames, they're turning off at least half of gamers.

It's mostly a question of numbers, classic gamers aficionados are a relatively small group compared to the crowd of "casual gamers" that may play a game just because "it looks good" or has something interesting to it (which is why games are getting easier and adventure games where you have to pixel hunt in the background for hours to progress are almost dead). Another thing may be that they're trying to cash in good reviews by adding elements to appeal to the critics' bias like minorities representation or something like that.