Nebulous Neotokyo Tournament - Open to All!

Capture the ghost or Eliminate the enemy team?

• I like CTG just fine

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • I like constant combat so let's just stick to the only VIP map - the train one

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

SpaceInvader

Dutch Ally.
Nebulae
I want to join and i will most likely also stream for those left out

Last edited:

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
One more slot left, further applicants will be put on the waiting list.

SGT Angel

Nucleus
Nebulae
lmao recon homies speek up all these speccy eyed cunts choosing assualt and support,

Imma bhop my ass right behind you and smash you with the worst weapon in game.

Reactions: List

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Slots filled. Applicants past this will be added to the waiting list.

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
@'77 East

Next time you set one of these up, I invite you to head over to the NT discord for any help setting this up - keeping it to neb's community is perfectly fine as a tourney, but I posted this here and someone gave me several resources to make the game more playable, in the form of sourcemod plugins.

What you'll get in their use is more user-friendly gameplay by an added assist system with toggleable damage variables (for instance, player Y only gets an assist point by dealing over 45 damage to player N, who was killed by player X).

Neotokyo does not grant assists points natively - this literally means you can magdump into someone only for a recon to steal your kill, leaving you empty-handed and stuck with the same weapon loadout. On top of this are several bugfixes like a hud reloader for when it breaks as well as better netcode handling.

Also, you can head over to the steam group to get any further assistance - there's a discord invite there.

https://github.com/Rainyan?tab=repositories This is Rain's github, containing several sourcemod integrations

https://github.com/softashell/nt-sourcemod-plugins This is the primary one, featuring all major fixes. On top of all this, you probably could chat up someone in the community to rent a server for a day or something. Neotokyo is primarily played at night or on weekends (more players on weekends than at night) and I'm sure it really wouldn't hurt to be given a server a day for a tourney.

On top of this, 14v14 NT doesn't really sound too fun. Imagine playing a casual CS map, except everyone can move much faster... and there's an item that whoever holds has to call out enemy movements with... and there's 14 to keep track of, so long as they're within 45 meters of you. Give it a shot if you like, but an always-on friendly-fire game featuring two classes with intense explosive firepower (assault grenade, recon detpack) might not work too well without some sort of configuration. Or it could be cancerous fun, so who cares.

Also, for those who actually enjoyed the tournament - NT isn't dead! We still play practically every weekend, and there's enough players that simply idling alone in a server for a few minutes can usually yield one other player, which can quickly snowball into a decent game. It's still quite fun and interesting, and the community isn't tainted at all, it's just a bunch of retards that like to map source maps for NT or post references to similar architecture types, as seen in #references on the discord. I invite anyone to come hang out or even ask a few players to hop on for a game whenever you're down to clown. The skill-gap still exists with learning maps, and it's pretty fun once you get down some of the times it can take for recons/assaults to get to certain map points.

If you do plan on using sourcemod, I'm sure there's dozens of people on the discord that could help you out.

YOU DON'T NEED CSS and also thank Hosomi from the NT discord for handing me links and helping like a big boy

Last edited:

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I'm not actually hosting this - was just going to assemble everyone on a 32-slot server I know of.

That being said if @Powley or someone wants to set up a dedicated server for this I won't stop them; it'd be nice to have a way to kick retards who join/make space if some chinese guy gatecrashes again.

On top of this, 14v14 NT doesn't really sound too fun. Imagine playing a casual CS map, except everyone can move much faster... and there's an item that whoever holds has to call out enemy movements with... and there's 14 to keep track of, so long as they're within 45 meters of you. Give it a shot if you like, but an always-on friendly-fire game featuring two classes with intense explosive firepower (assault grenade, recon detpack) might not work too well without some sort of configuration. Or it could be cancerous fun, so who cares.

chaos tends to be better than watching rounds become two-person hide and seek until the last minute passes

besides unless people like @ramsgater detrush every round by the time you leave spawn (in a squad, presumably) you'll be encountering a firefight anyway

YOU DON'T NEED CSS and also thank Hosomi from the NT discord for handing me links and helping like a big boy

Wouldn't let me grab the steam version without CSS since it's reliant on animations. You can use the mod version without it but I'm unsure if you'll be able to join on that version.

Hosomi

String
Nebulae
it'd be nice to have a way to kick retards who join/make space if some chinese guy gatecrashes again.
There are plenty of community server admins who can provide this service.

chaos tends to be better than watching rounds become two-person hide and seek until the last minute passes

besides unless people like @ramsgater detrush every round by the time you leave spawn (in a squad, presumably) you'll be encountering a firefight anyway
Lower player counts encourage tactical gameplay around the objective. The Ghost allows you to see enemies through walls, which circumvents the hide-and-seek.
The reduced number of players also discourages detrushes and other reckless plays as you'll likely only get a 1 to 1 trade.
14v14 would have horrific grenade spam too.

Wouldn't let me grab the steam version without CSS since it's reliant on animations. You can use the mod version without it but I'm unsure if you'll be able to join on that version.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. There is NO dependency on CSS in Neotokyo.
By "mod version" are you refering to the pre-steam release? That version is a couple patches behind and won't be able to play on any servers.

I also strongly discourage playing on nt_bullet_tdm (the train map), as it very quickly becomes monotonous. The TDM gamemode doesn't have respawns so you may as well play a regular map anyway.
Also, VIP was never implemented into the game.

it's just a bunch of retards that like to map source maps for NT
Ouch

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
There are plenty of community server admins who can provide this service.

Unless there's a way to bypass the 32-player limit (which I've never heard about in my 7 years of playing the mod, it's the hardcoded limit afaik) the person performing this service would take up a slot, unless they're prepared to act through the console.

Lower player counts encourage tactical gameplay around the objective. The Ghost allows you to see enemies through walls, which circumvents the hide-and-seek.

From my experience unless the ghost holder is using VOIP they can barely do anything except callout (with a delay via text), run straight for pickup (and typically get ambushed and die) or try and use the ghost itself as detpack/sniper bait. You can still have the tactical experience with squads all the same; if anything more people means the firefights have better variety instead of a 2v2 where someone's using a murata and the other guy has a ZRL.

The reduced number of players also discourages detrushes and other reckless plays as you'll likely only get a 1 to 1 trade.

14v14 would have horrific grenade spam too.

Not unless everyone goes assault and even then grenadespam isn't going to help if you have fast recons or flank half the time.

Smoke grenades (via support) just wind up with people spraying through it, which is good or bad depending on what you're using the smoke for.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. There is NO dependency on CSS in Neotokyo.
By "mod version" are you refering to the pre-steam release? That version is a couple patches behind and won't be able to play on any servers.

Steam version requires it: read chat. And yeah, that's the main reason why I posted the steam version instead of linking moddb.

e: guess it's false. oh well.

I also strongly discourage playing on nt_bullet_tdm (the train map), as it very quickly becomes monotonous. The TDM gamemode doesn't have respawns so you may as well play a regular map anyway.

which is why we're not doing bullet in anything but the warmup so people will realize why it's a bad idea

decom / pissalley works for these kinds of numbers

Also, VIP was never implemented into the game.

the assets remain in older versions but you're correct.

Hosomi

String
Nebulae
I've been developing for this game for four years. I can promise you wholeheartedly that it doesn't require CSS. The store page is outdated.

Reactions: List