New PC incoming (FINLAY WILL RETURN)

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
Don't buy AMD. They are cheaper for a reason, and are generally not worth buying.

Intel Quad core will last for a long time. Dont bother buying anything bigger, the money you save from it can be put elsewhere. Upgrade to 16 gigs (2x8gig cards for future proof, or 4x4gig cards for optimal NOW performance, with lack of slots for upgrade)

Don't bother with a 3gb 1060, upgrade to a 6gb 1070 for better future proofing. Hell, save up some more money for a 1080 and you can SLI it in the future to make them last even longer
are you retarded

AMD Ryzen is by /far/ the best performance per dollar option. Quad core is moving to entry level as more games now utilize cores more efficiently.

And what the fuck is a 6gb 1070, they're all 8GB.

EDIT: @Finlay3110 don't skimp on ram speeds with Ryzen, you want atleast 2400 mhz or ideally 3000

Reactions: List

Wash

Nucleus
Nebulae
I'm not pissing on the AMD Choice of CPU, but the choice of GPU.

I totally recommend something with my current specs, I'm good for at least five years under this build before I'd have to upgrade, but I'm thinking up updating the GPU next year for something high-tier like the 1080 Ti

CPU: Intel i5-6600K OC'd to 4.50 GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 6GB Version
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3600 Mhz (2x8GB Sticks)
Primary OS/Game Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
External HDD: 1 TB WD "My Passport" Ultra
Primary Monitor: MSI Optix G27C 27" 1080P 144Hz Curved Monitor
Secondary Monitor: Acer S240HL 24" 1080P 60Hz Monitor
Tertiary Monitor: Sony HDTV 49"
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator MB24 (I'm on course to replace this soon)
Mouse: Logitech G300s

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

I totally recommend something with my current specs, I'm good for at least five years under this build before I'd have to upgrade, but I'm thinking up updating the GPU next year for something high-tier like the 1080 Ti

>i5
>good for at least five years

meme tier post

also posting your monitors, mouse and keyboard doesn't count as "specs"

Wash

Nucleus
Nebulae
>i5
>good for at least five years

meme tier post

also posting your monitors, mouse and keyboard doesn't count as "specs"

This isn't 2002, Evil, CPU improvements have stagnated to hell lately, now unless CPU processing advances significantly next year, I'm good with this setup.

Plus it's my full specs on what I use, you can't really game with what you can't see or can't move without a mouse.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Don't buy AMD. They are cheaper for a reason, and are generally not worth buying.

Intel Quad core will last for a long time. Dont bother buying anything bigger, the money you save from it can be put elsewhere. Upgrade to 16 gigs (2x8gig cards for future proof, or 4x4gig cards for optimal NOW performance, with lack of slots for upgrade)

Don't bother with a 3gb 1060, upgrade to a 6gb 1070 for better future proofing. Hell, save up some more money for a 1080 and you can SLI it in the future to make them last even longer

Tell that to their huge increase in CPU sales this year and being awarded best tech company of the year. AMD Ryzen are a huge leap compared what Intel churn out every year as "improvements". They're cheap for a reason, lower margin. AMD sales overtook Intel in multiple countries this year.
[doublepost=1511574410][/doublepost]
This isn't 2002, Evil, CPU improvements have stagnated to hell lately, now unless CPU processing advances significantly next year, I'm good with this setup.

Yeah, thanks to Intel monopoly on the market and deciding their price on a minor performance boost. Ryzen+ is due next year and should give 15% better performance and potentially even more cores. They haven't stagnated due to the process, they've stagnated for the same reason GPU improvements have.

Wash

Nucleus
Nebulae
Tell that to their huge increase in CPU sales this year and being awarded best tech company of the year. AMD Ryzen are a huge leap compared what Intel churn out every year as "improvements". They're cheap for a reason, lower margin.

Totally agree, if you asked me which CPU to get two years ago, I'd have to say Intel without a second thought. My last computer actually ran on AMD, and let me tell you that their releases up until Ryzen were nothing more than the same refreshed CPU all the way back in 2010, it wasn't even close to competitive, Intel still has the upper hand in market share but boy has AMD really made a push-back, I support the CPU being Ryzen now and say that it's completely in the choice of the user.

Most games I play only make use of single-threaded performance more, which Intel does a great job at, but AMD's new banking on Multi-Core performance is great for more of the latest games and including multitasking and editing. It's a future-proof choice in my opinion with the way CPUs are currently going.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Totally agree, if you asked me which CPU to get two years ago, I'd have to say Intel without a second thought. My last computer actually ran on AMD, and let me tell you that their releases up until Ryzen were nothing more than the same refreshed CPU all the way back in 2010, it wasn't even close to competitive, Intel still has the upper hand in market share but boy has AMD really made a push-back, I support the CPU being Ryzen now and say that it's completely in the choice of the user.

Most games I play only make use of single-threaded performance more, which Intel does a great job at, but AMD's new banking on Multi-Core performance is great for more of the latest games and including multitasking and editing. It's a future-proof choice in my opinion with the way CPUs are currently going.

Go take a look at the history behind why AMD lost their lead, you'll quickly see that Intel pulled anti-competitor bullshit including something that they were severely fined for, modifying their compiler to cripple CPUs running software that was compiled using it; That's how Intel got ahead, illegal tactics. An i5 (4 core) will last maybe another year before most of modern games are bottlenecking it.
[doublepost=1511574769][/doublepost]

Wash

Nucleus
Nebulae
Yeah, thanks to Intel monopoly on the market and deciding their price on a minor performance boost. Ryzen+ is due next year and should give 15% better performance and potentially even more cores. They haven't stagnated due to the process, they've stagnated for the same reason GPU improvements have.

Actually, I don't think there was stagnation due to the Intel Monopoly, but the fact that CPU Infrastructures haven't been updated much because of the architecture being harder and harder to make successfully, because each transistor is becoming smaller and smaller to the point where you have to consider the possibility that we'll hit a bit of a Processing wall, the CPU Architecture is currently around 12-14 Nano-meters, we'll hit a wall soon where Silicon will not be able to make smaller architectures.

I do agree that the market share Intel had didn't help advance the situation but that's not the only reason why I believe CPU's stagnated as of late.

Wash

Nucleus
Nebulae
why did finlays return into a discussion over the future of computer parts and their manufacturers

ios-10-shrug-emoji.0.png

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Actually, I don't think there was stagnation due to the Intel Monopoly, but the fact that CPU Infrastructures haven't been updated much because of the architecture being harder and harder to make successfully, because each transistor is becoming smaller and smaller to the point where you have to consider the possibility that we'll hit a bit of a Processing wall, the CPU Architecture is currently around 12-14 Nano-meters, we'll hit a wall soon where Silicon will not be able to make smaller architectures.

I do agree that the market share Intel had didn't help advance the situation but that's not the only reason why I believe CPU's stagnated as of late.

But the process is being improved, AMD have a working 7nm process and Intel are struggling with their 10nm.

Wash

Nucleus
Nebulae
But the process is being improved, AMD have a working 7nm process and Intel are struggling with their 10nm.

I know, but the matter still is that I am arguing that it's not just the policies of Intel that's stopping CPU Improvements, but also the limitations of making them as small as ATOMS, There will come a time where we'd have the reinvest CPU infrastructure to another avenue, where we either make the transistors from another material that isn't Silicon that is able to handle smaller processes, or invest in a different CPU Market altogether, hell, like Quantum computing, somehow.

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae

If you’re getting a 1060 just get the 3gb version
Most games only get 1 or 2 extra FPS out of it

Also intel i5 is not gonna last five years, but with Ryzen you’re guaranteed upgradeability until Zen 3 withou changing a mobo

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
If you’re getting a 1060 just get the 3gb version
Most games only get 1 or 2 extra FPS out of it

Also intel i5 is not gonna last five years, but with Ryzen you’re guaranteed upgradeability until Zen 3 withou changing a mobo

its better to make the upgrade to a 1070 with a 6gb

why would you recommend someone to get a worse gpu lmao

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
its better to make the upgrade to a 1070 with a 6gb

why would you recommend someone to get a worse gpu lmao
Because budgets???
If you’re not going to step up to a 1070 then 3gb is the best price for performance offer