Piggo

Electron
Nebulae
I love you.
f56004b870c1.jpg

bubblegum

you should see me in a crown
Nebulae
How do you practice? Any tips? I'd like to try my hand at this but could never get far, it's so intimidating.

Piggo

Electron
Nebulae
How do you practice? Any tips? I'd like to try my hand at this but could never get far, it's so intimidating.
I don't practice, I just do pics and i've got better over time. Thats the only way to do it imo

Use Gmod first, never start with SFM. Ignore SFM tards who are like WOW DUDE BRO WORKED FINE FOR ME because SFM is a fickle program with very stupid ways of using it. Gmod will teach you the basics of making a scene that will make using SFM miles easier.

If you *really* want to use SFM first be my guest and feel free to ask me about issues because fuck me theres loads of them

Reactions: List

steambored

Make no mistake, this is a one-way trip.
Nebulae
Pretty much just as piggo says, SFM is not recommended for beginners. SFM can crash quite often, so much that I need an autosave plugin to save every 3 minutes. If you want to use SFM, only do it if you really wish to animate or you're experienced enough and can handle frequent crashes. SFM also has certain limitations and issues that GMod doesn't.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I don't practice, I just do pics and i've got better over time. Thats the only way to do it imo

Use Gmod first, never start with SFM. Ignore SFM tards who are like WOW DUDE BRO WORKED FINE FOR ME because SFM is a fickle program with very stupid ways of using it. Gmod will teach you the basics of making a scene that will make using SFM miles easier.

If you *really* want to use SFM first be my guest and feel free to ask me about issues because fuck me theres loads of them
Pretty much just as piggo says, SFM is not recommended for beginners. SFM can crash quite often, so much that I need an autosave plugin to save every 3 minutes. If you want to use SFM, only do it if you really wish to animate or you're experienced enough and can handle frequent crashes. SFM also has certain limitations and issues that GMod doesn't.

my sfm has crashed a grand total of once in the 600 hours i've used it

its got issues and limitations but most of those issues are "its harder to get certain props and models" and "point lights need to be made manually"

steambored

Make no mistake, this is a one-way trip.
Nebulae

its got issues and limitations but most of those issues are "its harder to get certain props and models" and "point lights need to be made manually"
you're lucky, in the 1201 hours that I've used sfm, sfm has crashed atleast 100+ times. there's also light limitations where only 8 lights can have shadowed, etc. In general, GMod is much better for creating artwork with phenomenal lighting that there's an entire dedicated document to doing it. SFM takes a lot of skill to reach the desirable lighting past 8 shadowed lights

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
you're lucky, in the 1201 hours that I've used sfm, sfm has crashed atleast 100+ times. there's also light limitations where only 8 lights can have shadowed, etc. In general, GMod is much better for creating artwork with phenomenal lighting that there's an entire dedicated document to doing it. SFM takes a lot of skill to reach the desirable lighting past 8 shadowed lights

i cant believe no one has managed to mod that 8 light restriction away

Piggo

Electron
Nebulae

My issues with it are the fact that to a beginner any issues you encounter are far harder to back away from

When you accidentally use an animation tool key-bind, to this day, I still cannot get my way out of them without resetting the program. Accidentilly using any of the animation tools themselves or messing with the timeline has fucked up a few of my pictures too.

To clarify, this isn't SFMs fault. SFM is an animation program and we're stubbornly refusing to use it as one.

also to clarify when i mean "SFM Tards" i don't mean anyone on this site or Facepunch but rather the cunts who infest discords and act like SFM is the only program to use, even above Blender or 3DS. The real insane types who hated on LazyPurple because "HE COULDN'T FIGURE OUT EASY ISSUES LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HATER!!!"

I don't get many crashes ethier but i know lots of people who can't use it because of crashes

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

if you have discord i can do a 5-10 minute crash course with you via share screen

already done it with 2 other people who now regularly use sfm

Reactions: List