please stop shitting on each others writing styles

bubblegum

you should see me in a crown
Nebulae
never once in my post have i said anything about making /me's longer. I said that it'd be more rp-friendly to have people let their creativity flow when doing /me's (which are usuallly just purely physical)

enrich, not elongate

literally the same thing

flowery or long emotes don’t make good rp*

character dev and good dialogue do
Why're you guys replying with the exact opposite reason this thread exists?

true but this is an interesting thread

Reactions: List

dvn

Atom
Nebulae
people putting what their models look like in their desc
got people in doctor's uniforms with descs saying 'man in doctor's uniform'
like i know it sounds petty but you can use it for so much more

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
-- and ... work the same and it's grammatically correct.

This is the only pet peeve I have. I'll let people use /me would and past tense if they don't do -.. or ..-
well actually i agree with-.. haha sike-- i will continue overusing hyphens whenever possible

bubblegum

Nebulae
I'm a ..- user and I think it gets undue hate, I think it shows sudden interruption better than a simple hyphen would

I don't like it because it's not real English. At my old RP, it was associated with bad RPers who didn't have a good grasp on the language and it will be forever ingrained in my mind as that :s

ruben slikk

life aint shut but a fat vagin
Nebulae
I don't like it because it's not real English
It's a roleplay server, not an English class, and many people come from different countries with different rules when it comes to punctuation and grammar. I think anything is fine as long as it gets the point across. Even /me would isn't that bad, we shouldn't shut people out of roleplay by making fun of them by having "subpar" writing skills if they have good ideas.

GustavasSve

Don’t forget Hawaii!
Nebulae
I always found it strange how people RP their thoughts even when their character didn’t express them. It’s a little unnecessary and can lead to metagame in some cases tbh

mushi

i'm addicted to serotonin
Nebulae
I always found it strange how people RP their thoughts even when their character didn’t express them. It’s a little unnecessary and can lead to metagame in some cases tbh

It's also a lot more interesting to read gestures and physical language, rather than thoughts, when it comes to evincing what others think. Seeing people write out mannerisms and stuff is a lot more fun to me.

GustavasSve

Don’t forget Hawaii!
Nebulae
It's also a lot more interesting to read gestures and physical language, rather than thoughts, when it comes to evincing what others think. Seeing people write out mannerisms and stuff is a lot more fun to me.
It’s always best to ‘/me glances down at the floor with a faint look of concern’ instead of /me thinks about what he did earlier with x and y

D

Deleted member 118

I my /me's just tend to snowball out of control and usually something decent comes out. Googling synonyms on the go usually helps with finding new ways to build up a sentence without too much clutter text. Just go with what you're cool with

Seen some great people who bring the long /me to a new level even when fully maxing out with info

bubblegum

Nebulae

Show not tell is good but sometimes for stylistic purposes It doesn’t hurt

like /me looks away, not entirely convinced.

sots

community bear
Nebulae
I made a thread about how people need to stop nitpicking each other’s roleplay and the entire response has been people nitpicking each other’s roleplay

What did I learn? Never trust a roleplayer!

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I made a thread about how people need to stop nitpicking each other’s roleplay and the entire response has been people nitpicking each other’s roleplay

did you really expect anything else

bubblegum

Nebulae

Rp is serious!!!

mushi

i'm addicted to serotonin
Nebulae

I don't consider it nitpicking! More like, uhh, constructive criticism.

Nebulae
My only wish is for people to start making /me's more than just purely physical descriptions. Add some spice, unnecessary references and details to enrich the "/me puts down the canteen on the table, and presses the button to seal it up. He would then pick up the canteen and move over to the cart to dispose of it."
the physicality to represent the mood, not only the actions

I personally love paragraph RP but that's just my style and taste. The actions i choose, especially body language, all seem very important to me in SEEING and HEARING the way the character is acting in the moment

Ibarra

Proton
Nebulae
I don't like it because it's not real English. At my old RP, it was associated with bad RPers who didn't have a good grasp on the language and it will be forever ingrained in my mind as that :s

bringing back those SA:MP memories, i'd be lying if i said that wasn't my pet peeve too