Pool - What about the leak?

Was the original concept better than the one we have today?

• Yes, original was the better one.

• No, retail is the better one.

• Both were great.

Results are only viewable after voting.

What Cat?

Neutrino
Nebulae
I love the ideas that got cut from Half life 2, manhack arcade, wasteland, Kraken base...
some people say that the original game would be way better if it was kept that way, what do you think, was the original concept better than the one we have today?

Reactions: List

Edgelord Freeman

Electron
Nebulae
You see, Half Life beta showed us the game was literally not for kids, It was way darker and spookier than the Half Life we got now. But I still love Half-Life 2, yet I'm pretty sure I would like the game with more of the concepts of HL2 Beta. Hell, even one of the two (I think) original soundtracks of HL2 Beta, which is just the trailer sounds spooky and awesome at the same time, but that's just Volvo overall. :ok:

NightVeil

Bringer of Sales
Nebulae
I've never really seen a list or video on all the stuff that got cut from the beta, but I guess it would be interesting to see what it would be like with the stuff added.

b00ty_Senpai

Neutrino
Nebulae
I really like the original concept. Darker, full of toxic gas city. Cremators, CPs, Models and pretty much all the atmosphere of the game. Right now Im just waiting for some mods that are being made on moddb that are trying to recreate the original concept. :3

NightVeil

Bringer of Sales
Nebulae
I really like the original concept. Darker, full of toxic gas city. Cremators, CPs, Models and pretty much all the atmosphere of the game. Right now Im just waiting for some mods that are being made on moddb that are trying to recreate the original concept. :3
Then we can use all of their assets to improve the server

The master plan

NightVeil

Bringer of Sales
Nebulae
Hue hue hue
WXDfrbk.gif

Gabby

Atom
Nebulae
Hey, that would be a great idea: Half life 2 beta roleplay!
It would work if people used actual content based on the beta then using the same HD civil protection models and Industrial 17, there are a ton of good maps from the beta that could be remade into good RP maps for a REAL betaRP server

2stronk

Proton
Nebulae
Retail version looked miles better than whatever was in the leak. The universe in the retail actually looks like it could happen some day, which is why it's far more believable and grounded in reality than the beta/leaked content. People masturbate too much over cut content, there's a reason why it was cut. It didn't fit the pacing and tone of the game which you instantly realise right when you get the crowbar. It's meant to remind us through familiar buildings, coastlines and streets that we're very much still on planet earth although everyone is enslaved.
HalfLife2_City17_TrainStationSquare.jpg

latest

What Cat?

Neutrino
Nebulae
Retail version looked miles better than whatever was in the leak. The universe in the retail actually looks like it could happen some day, which is why it's far more believable and grounded in reality than the beta/leaked content. People masturbate too much over cut content, there's a reason why it was cut. It didn't fit the pacing and tone of the game which you instantly realise right when you get the crowbar. It's meant to remind us through familiar buildings, coastlines and streets that we're very much still on planet earth although everyone is enslaved.

latest

True, but do not forget that leak was just a unfinished game, it was incomplete.

2stronk

Proton
Nebulae
True, but do not forget that leak was just a unfinished game, it was incomplete.
Still, the concepts and general design ideas were in place. IIRC they were close to finishing it but scrapped everything after the leak because they wanted people to be excited. Which one of the above screenshots, from freeman's, or a citizens perspective, still looks worth saving? It's pretty clear isn't it

What Cat?

Neutrino
Nebulae
Still, the concepts and general design ideas were in place. IIRC they were close to finishing it but scrapped everything after the leak because they wanted people to be excited. Which one of the above screenshots, from freeman's, or a citizens perspective, still looks worth saving? It's pretty clear isn't it

No, the leak had files of unfinished HL2 and HL2:EP1 maps that we have today, all things like cremators, manhack arcade, or kraken base got cut way earlier.

Gabby

Atom
Nebulae

latest
You have to understand the inspirations they were going with when they were making the early content and why they look the way they did

Brothers Quay
street-of-crocodiles-1.jpg

Dark City
dark+city+automat+ext..jpg

Warsaw Ghetto
01.jpg

"It's meant to remind us through familiar buildings, coastlines and streets that we're very much still on planet earth although everyone is enslaved."
That's why after multiple playthroughs the world of Half-life 2 isn't really that interesting, there's nothing to really give me that feeling of alienation like HL1 did. None of the land marks hold any value after the third or fourth time, the enemies personalities if any are just husks with a few basic police and military jargon.

vs

JohnLugo

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Vanills is pretty boring.

The beta has this sense of originality into it.