News Preview/Discussion - WW3RP: STASILAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rictalspace

Manager of Fist Industries
Nebulae
One thing we as Head Staff want everyone to realise is that this isn't just a carbon copy of HL2RP with a different lore. Roose and Char are working exceptionally hard to make sure they're two very different entities and that those who love HL2 will still love it and the old veterans of WW3RP will enjoy the slightly new direction.

Roose and Char presented their full ideas on Monday evening and our concerns were very similar to what we see here. But I am more than confident that they can both pull this off and present an exceptional server that will not detract from the original Neb server.

So if you have old-WW3RP players on your friends list, make sure you let them know this is in the works.

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
One thing we as Head Staff want everyone to realise is that this isn't just a carbon copy of HL2RP with a different lore. Roose and Char are working exceptionally hard to make sure they're two very different entities and that those who love HL2 will still love it and the old veterans of WW3RP will enjoy the slightly new direction.

Roose and Char presented their full ideas on Monday evening and our concerns were very similar to what we see here. But I am more than confident that they can both pull this off and present an exceptional server that will not detract from the original Neb server.

So if you have old-WW3RP players on your friends list, make sure you let them know this is in the works.
Wholesome post

welcome to the Retirement

Narrative/Lore Manager
Nebulae
I have a few concerns about this. My opinions might be unpopular, but I feel like it's necessary to express them to hopefully eliminate possible future problems. Sorry to rain on the parade. I'll try keeping it brief.

From the tiny bits of info that I managed to pick up from this thread, this is basically HL2RP. At least mechanically. While of course there are gonna be more firearms and a greater emphasis on combat, you're still left with a server where the majority of the population are oppressed civilians subjugated by an alien-ish oppressive force, with said force represented as and expressed mostly through a big but more or less regulated (Quality wise) whitelist; and all the actual combat mostly results in PKs. And I don't really have anything against that, because, if anything, the "oppressive state" formula provides conflict and offers some degree of narrative tension at all times, but there are a few problems that could arise from its use in this case:
  • This could affect the overall balance within the community. While it's true that in the past the "split" remained relatively even, this might not be the case this time. Back in the day, WW3 and HL2 remained largely different servers that provided different experiences. But from what I got from this thread, this will either be a direct upgrade or a complete downgrade from the original formula, meaning that after the few hype-filled weeks after its launch, it will either swoop a good chunk of HL2's playerbase away or will quickly lose its novelty factor and flop should it fail to deliver the same level of quality that HL2 does (inb4 >implying hl2rp has any quality lmao)
  • I see a big problem that could potentially hinder the server's sustainability in the long run. This seems like something to please the existing community of nebulous, but I don't see how it's going to attract new players as easily as the old server. A big part of what made WW3RP so accessible for everyone in the past was the fact that you could jump into the military action right away, but from the looks of it, Stasiland is gonna force you into being a citizen for the most part, with actual military factions forcing you to apply through forums. This means that new people joining the server with expectations of serious but quick military RP might be thrown off. Eventually the server might be forced to cut down on the slots.
  • We kinda had a similar situation before all the way back on late Lemonpunch, when FTRP was reformed into "Quarantine Zone RP", and it just... flopped, mostly because even despite the radical change in the setting and a lot of minor differences, the charm quickly wore off when people realized they played HL2RP with a different coat of paint. I'm not implying that this is what's going to happen to Stasiland as well, but I'm just bringing this up because of how similar the situation was. People seemed excited about the new dynamic at first, but that didn't stop it from gigaflopping.
  • The reason HL2RP is still alive is because of how instinctively familiar people are with the source material. It is, in a way, the backbone of it, partially thanks to how well-known HL2 is and how close its relationship with Garry's Mod as a platform is. Every other attempt to pull off a similar formula on a large scale without even remotely the same setting failed rather harshly.
Please don't take this as me being salty or hoping the server fails. I'm legit excited to see this new take on WW3RP, especially since I wanted to try it out for a while now. I'm just genuinely concerned about the viability of such a radically different take on it all. But I hope to see it succeed regardless.
[doublepost=1551261136][/doublepost]

oh wait lmao should've F5'd earlier

but i'm still concerned 'cus i'm yet to see any sort of elaboration on how the core cycle of this is going to be any different from hl2rp. i don't think this will kill hl2rp, the ol hl2 is its own breed entirely, but i'm just concerned about the viability of this thing. wouldn't want to see anyone's efforts go to waste

Last edited:
Nebulae
I'm so fucking hyped for that. Can't wait to play it. I suggested similar shit before and I'm happy to see something similar!

fofa

Atom
Nebulae
genuinely excited and looking forward to playing this but i have a single concern

i really think that it'll take a really big chunk of hl2rp's playerbase away

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
I have a few concerns about this. My opinions might be unpopular, but I feel like it's necessary to express them to hopefully eliminate possible future problems. Sorry to rain on the parade. I'll try keeping it brief.

From the tiny bits of info that I managed to pick up from this thread, this is basically HL2RP. At least mechanically. While of course there are gonna be more firearms and a greater emphasis on combat, you're still left with a server where the majority of the population are oppressed civilians subjugated by an alien-ish oppressive force, with said force represented as and expressed mostly through a big but more or less regulated (Quality wise) whitelist; and all the actual combat mostly results in PKs. And I don't really have anything against that, because, if anything, the "oppressive state" formula provides conflict and offers some degree of narrative tension at all times, but there are a few problems that could arise from its use in this case:
  • This could affect the overall balance within the community. While it's true that in the past the "split" remained relatively even, this might not be the case this time. Back in the day, WW3 and HL2 remained largely different servers that provided different experiences. But from what I got from this thread, this will either be a direct upgrade or a complete downgrade from the original formula, meaning that after the few hype-filled weeks after its launch, it will either swoop a good chunk of HL2's playerbase away or will quickly lose its novelty factor and flop should it fail to deliver the same level of quality that HL2 does (inb4 >implying hl2rp has any quality lmao)
  • I see a big problem that could potentially hinder the server's sustainability in the long run. This seems like something to please the existing community of nebulous, but I don't see how it's going to attract new players as easily as the old server. A big part of what made WW3RP so accessible for everyone in the past was the fact that you could jump into the military action right away, but from the looks of it, Stasiland is gonna force you into being a citizen for the most part, with actual military factions forcing you to apply through forums. This means that new people joining the server with expectations of serious but quick military RP might be thrown off. Eventually the server might be forced to cut down on the slots.
  • We kinda had a similar situation before all the way back on late Lemonpunch, when FTRP was reformed into "Quarantine Zone RP", and it just... flopped, mostly because even despite the radical change in the setting and a lot of minor differences, the charm quickly wore off when people realized they played HL2RP with a different coat of paint. I'm not implying that this is what's going to happen to Stasiland as well, but I'm just bringing this up because of how similar the situation was. People seemed excited about the new dynamic at first, but that didn't stop it from gigaflopping.
  • The reason HL2RP is still alive is because of how instinctively familiar people are with the source material. It is, in a way, the backbone of it, partially thanks to how well-known HL2 is and how close its relationship with Garry's Mod as a platform is. Every other attempt to pull off a similar formula on a large scale without even remotely the same setting failed rather harshly.
Please don't take this as me being salty or hoping the server fails. I'm legit excited to see this new take on WW3RP, especially since I wanted to try it out for a while now. I'm just genuinely concerned about the viability of such a radically different take on it all. But I hope to see it succeed regardless.

but i'm still concerned 'cus i'm yet to see any sort of elaboration on how the core cycle of this is going to be any different from hl2rp. i don't think this will kill hl2rp, the ol hl2 is its own breed entirely, but i'm just concerned about the viability of this thing. wouldn't want to see anyone's efforts go to waste
To (I think) answer one of these questions when I spoke to Char about factions awhile back he mentioned the conscript forces being ICly recruited since they are well conscripts and beyond that citizens can just go fully ira guerilla and do attack’s on checkpoints and patrols

Reactions: List
Nebulae

3958547a2555052b6c944bba7c19ee10.gif

let's do this shit boys​

Narrative/Lore Manager
Nebulae
beyond that citizens can just go fully ira guerilla and do attack’s on checkpoints and patrols
yeah that's cool but since all combat is pk people are gonna chicken out 'cus then they'll have to make new chars and spend weeks grinding for gear, which sounds uhm............................ familiar

unless the actual progression towards getting guns is a lot faster. then it's all fair.

Black Rain (1989)

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Chardust
Nebulae

but i'm still concerned 'cus i'm yet to see any sort of elaboration on how the core cycle of this is going to be any different from hl2rp

I think one thing we've stressed is the distinction between both projects.

To be honest to flat out label this as 'basically HL2RP' is a big discredit to the effort we have been putting in to making it unique to both HL2RP and traditional WW3RP, the reason we have taken so long to even announce is because we have taken all these concerns into consideration.

Stasiland is a gamble, given that it is a new gamemode, but RB and I would rather take this risk and develop it alongside the community than run the same old WW3RP.

By the end of the last WW3RP, I felt it more a chore to run. There was no IC and OOC motivation aside from S2K, with Stasiland, the focus on characterisation and gravitas behind ones actions, people setting their own IC goals, makes it a much more appealing concept from a managerial concept.

Again, if you'd care to read what we have posted before;

HL2RP is the slow paced bread and butter of not only Nebulous but Gmod RP. It is CityRP in a familiar sci-fi setting.

Stasiland is a realistic, alternative history with a focus on combat, a radical new direction for the formula, but given the hard work we have been putting in for over nine months now coupled with the resources Nebulous has (its members and staff) we believe it is an idea that can work with enough cooperation.

If it is not something people want, then I am just happy people checked out our idea, but WW3RP in the traditional sense is not something I am interested at the moment.

fofa

Atom
Nebulae
i honestly doubt that stasiland will be similar to half life 2 roleplay as they are both different settings and such. i put my trust into char and roose but i still am afraid that the playerbase will heavily split between half life 2 roleplay and world war 3 roleplay

Black Rain (1989)

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Chardust
Nebulae
yeah that's cool but since all combat is pk people are gonna chicken out 'cus then they'll have to make new chars and spend weeks grinding for gear, which sounds uhm............................ familiar

unless the actual progression towards getting guns is a lot faster. then it's all fair.

One thing we stressed in our pitch on Monday there wad that access to weapons is readily available, perhaps lower tear weapons like melee, bows, pipe rifles et cetera. But given the action focus you wouldn't be lacking.

The concept of the Stasiland is that there is no government per-se, so peolle cannot rely on that. Instead on themselves and others, and the competing factions. In that sense it is the opppsite of HL2RPs very present apparatus of state.

Narrative/Lore Manager
Nebulae
I think one thing we've stressed is the distinction between both projects.

To be honest to flat out label this as 'basically HL2RP' is a big discredit to the effort we have been putting in to making it unique to both HL2RP and traditional WW3RP, the reason we have taken so long to even announce is because we have taken all these concerns into consideration.

Stasiland is a gamble, given that it is a new gamemode, but RB and I would rather take this risk and develop it alongside the community than run the same old WW3RP.

By the end of the last WW3RP, I felt it more a chore to run. There was no IC and OOC motivation aside from S2K, with Stasiland, the focus on characterisation and gravitas behind ones actions, people setting their own IC goals, makes it a much more appealing concept from a managerial concept.

Again, if you'd care to read what we have posted before;

HL2RP is the slow paced bread and butter of not only Nebulous but Gmod RP. It is CityRP in a familiar sci-fi setting.

Stasiland is a realistic, alternative history with a focus on combat, a radical new direction for the formula, but given the hard work we have been putting in for over nine months now coupled with the resources Nebulous has (its members and staff) we believe it is an idea that can work with enough cooperation.

If it is not something people want, then I am just happy people checked out our idea, but WW3RP in the traditional sense is not something I am interested at the moment.
i didn't really have the time to actually read through the entire thread, so my assumptions were mostly based off of the OP and the first few pages. i didn't mean to show any sort of disrespect, just wanted to express some personal concerns.

i just hope to see this project succeed. luv you char, sorry if i seemed disrespectful :(

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Who do you plan on appointing as COs and NCOs when beginning or will it be an application process

Status
Not open for further replies.