Serious [Review] Art of The Week

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
AOTW / WEEK 30 OF 53 / 2020

We really are 60s tunes now

a24cf88e2fba.jpg
Yaknow what I really like this, especially the posing and the little details you can make out even though there is a lot of interference from the VHS kinda texture you've given it. Would've been a very based image if you chose to censor out the mans face with jumbled pixels rather than a brush but regardless it's great. I can see past the spelling error, it happens - great work bud

We all gotta start somewhere, and this is a very good start! You've got some good ideas with your camera angles so perhaps the next step is playing with some volume lights; to do this just right click the light in the prop/thing menu and enable 'volumetric light', something like that. And it makes a beam which you can expand and such. Hope to see some more soon!

This is very cool, I got no idea how you made this effect but just the simplicity of it all is great. Would be awesome to see some event posters with this kind of effect :^). I'm not quite sure what to critique, as the negative space usage is pretty fine, there's good details and expected blank spots given the nature of it all so yeah - nice pic
coolio.gif

Detail with the tree is insane, I really like that - and the comical theme of the image is great too with all the characters in the weird yellow truck thing. Tis' indeed a very battlefield image. If I were really to nitpick it maybe the flash from the rank could've been something else - or maybe even replaced with a thick smoke steaming out the barrel as its like centre of the image like a weird crosshair imo

Idk how to critique or offer much advise but this is a superb talent! I can only guess how long this took to get down. Keep it up, hope to see some more or even Dicknose originals soon!!
-

The bold text goes to @dvn
MOSHED-2020-7-16-13-4-0.gif

And the recognisable-real-life-talent-outside-of-gmod-or-sfm bold text award goes to @Dicknose !

-
giphy.gif

Hope the feedback was useful
hmu sometime if you ever need help
adios, ttyl etc​

Reactions: List

dvn

Atom
Nebulae
AOTW / WEEK 30 OF 53 / 2020

We really are 60s tunes now

Yaknow what I really like this, especially the posing and the little details you can make out even though there is a lot of interference from the VHS kinda texture you've given it. Would've been a very based image if you chose to censor out the mans face with jumbled pixels rather than a brush but regardless it's great. I can see past the spelling error, it happens - great work bud

We all gotta start somewhere, and this is a very good start! You've got some good ideas with your camera angles so perhaps the next step is playing with some volume lights; to do this just right click the light in the prop/thing menu and enable 'volumetric light', something like that. And it makes a beam which you can expand and such. Hope to see some more soon!

This is very cool, I got no idea how you made this effect but just the simplicity of it all is great. Would be awesome to see some event posters with this kind of effect :^). I'm not quite sure what to critique, as the negative space usage is pretty fine, there's good details and expected blank spots given the nature of it all so yeah - nice pic
coolio.gif

Detail with the tree is insane, I really like that - and the comical theme of the image is great too with all the characters in the weird yellow truck thing. Tis' indeed a very battlefield image. If I were really to nitpick it maybe the flash from the rank could've been something else - or maybe even replaced with a thick smoke steaming out the barrel as its like centre of the image like a weird crosshair imo

Idk how to critique or offer much advise but this is a superb talent! I can only guess how long this took to get down. Keep it up, hope to see some more or even Dicknose originals soon!!
-

The bold text goes to @dvn
MOSHED-2020-7-16-13-4-0.gif

And the recognisable-real-life-talent-outside-of-gmod-or-sfm bold text award goes to @Dicknose !

-
giphy.gif

Hope the feedback was useful
hmu sometime if you ever need help
adios, ttyl etc​

double bold baby
let's go

Dudu Fadende

Proton
Nebulae
Decided I was gonna start making some tabletop wargame type miniatures so here's the first of many.
Maybe.
I don't fucking know anymore.

9110c17be58d.jpg

US Army Fireteam
147d413c31ec.jpg

Russian Heavy Machinegun

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
AOTW / WEEK 31 OF 53 / 2020

Back again, and so are you - why?

This is super cool! The textures, colours and contrasts, even the very simple (and defaultish) poses are great to add. Having amazing realistic art pieces are good, but this kinda humble re-work of an ingame screenshot is where a lot these starts come from and I think this is a perfect example of that. Love it - though if I coulda added anything or done smn differently personally - woulda lowered the contrast a bit just to give it that 'filmy' look. Great work Ricsow
coolio.gif

This has always been something I've wanted to try and put to image as well, I think this kinda work is great to practise complicated mini poses without having to build up an entire scene around it. For anyone else reading who's looking into making images - this is a great process to adopt to try and practise these kinds of things. What use is an amazing 'scene' when the life of said scene looks like a q-menu ragdoll. This is perfect, lighting is grand too!

We do love an aesthetic vibe, and this edit has been made very well - though I do have some minor disagreements that I think my extended diploma in graphic design allows me to vocalise... SUCH AS; a black outline on glowing text? My guy? C'mon, I think you should've followed suit with the purple triangle and had the text be white, with the blue glowing around it clear enough to stand out. Maybe some thicker and easier to read font as well. The pose is great enough, especially the helmet edit which is done super well to fit with the angles at play. Wonderful

Idk what substance painter is, but this is super cool! Your skills with this medium are gradually getting higher and I'm looking forward to what is next - if I could critique any of this though; would've loved to see a more harsh (but not overkill) shadow below the shadow to give some more depth to that is being stood on a podium of some kind perhaps? Otherwise the lack of ENOUGH shadow (as there is some there) can make objects appear floating or 2D stuck into the image like a bad photoshop, at least I think so. This is great elan :^)
-

A humbling big bold for week 31, goes to @Ricsow
image0.jpg

But everyone else submitted some fab work this week too!
-

giphy.gif

Have a good rest of your week guys
rushed this one cus I aint feelin too good, hope the feedback is somewhere near useful
ttyl gang
-

Marius

Quark
Nebulae
5265FE94213356F8E2003C12915F82ACBB1C52FC

SS-Feldgendarmerie (SS-Militarypolice), arresting Waffen SS soldiers and officers for Gross Incompetence and High Treason. Hope you boys like my artwork ! The models are not ragdols but Playermodels in GMOD Workshop ;-; So it was a pain in the ass to make this. Hope it was worth it :))

DeToXic

Neutrino
Nebulae
Hi

This is the main one im submitting for the week:
unknown.png

but-wait.png

Yes i got more haha:
unknown.png

MACE.png

By the way, for anyone wondering.
All of them are done in Gmod, lightning and effects too.

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
AOTW / WEEK 32 OF 53 / 2020

Heyyy~ back at it again

There's a lotta good in this image, even if it is just a default animation and filter. The best of this image is the lighting, and how it is so consistent in tone with the shading as well with next to no discrepancy beside the small orange thing next to the pillar. I can't tell if this is actually a screenshot or pose, but if it's the latter - try using default animations to set up a basic posture instead of relying so heavily. That way you won't have any bizarre looking things such as his hand randomly being drawn out
Your second image is a step up for sure, the lack of filter and use of motion blur adds a strong kind of movement to the image. Perhaps it just needed to be part of something bigger than a portrait/landscape of a character and slotted into a bigger scene. You should expand your horizons from one character on the image bro

The positioning and postures of all these models are fab, especially how they are all unique and easily identifiable. The only thing really 'letting down' this image is strange single-tone lighting. Would've been good to see the use of a lamp to project a more accurate beam of sunlight from the top left side and see the shadows come down instead of this orange tinge but hey-ho, something to think about next time. Great work bud

Could've used a more suitable aspect ratio for a single character portrait, but besides that the lighting and reflections are pretty superb for a just in Gmod production. Character has a very strong stance as well, but it would have been greater to see this strong looking character stood in a scenario where their presence is notible - like overlooking a group of CPs on a street corner or something? Nice stuff

I do agree with you Elan, grass looks a little strange but I think it's only really because it (doesn't seem) to be picking up another light perhaps? All the shadows in this image are incredibly harsh but the volume of the light above really distracts you and it looks kinda beautiful in a way. Won't lie though, thought that was a large cinderblock before I thought it was a phone booth. Great rendering here partner'

This definately is a bit of a change, but it's fab - the light rain in the background and glowing circle really gets some extra dimension and depth with how it glows around the character's arms and hair. I've not much to add, this is good portrait with a thought out design behind it - looks more like a comic strip cut-out than anything in need of a full scene. Nice
coolio.gif

Interesting choice of model here, but also an amazingly made simplistic scenebuild for the two characters to share. The blurry kicked back lighting and texture of the image really adds character to maybe these two very different kinds of people. The shading really softly bends around the corner on the right as well which I really, really like. Great work piggo - hope to see some more of these models and unique set pieces

Was a hard choice this week, but I think @Elan should have the primary BOLD
LSocPtq.jpg

And @steambored should be recognised as a secondary BOLD
bAZBUf.jpg

-

We left aligned now
Hope the feedback / reviews were useful dudes
Have a good week, be safe and all that

Later