Serious [Review] Art of The Week

D

Deleted member 5162

cI6Rf6Q.jpg

fun fact, it was supposed to be a quick pose but I ended up adding background and forgot about the ground just being outright flat, without using any models on it

oops

Kbmhjod.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
AOTW / WEEK 46 OF 53 / 2020
[song]
It's time

Devilish imagery here, it's great, seriously. Like the postures of both characters on screen are semi-natural looking they're just missing some force or 'presence' I like to call it. The guy on the right has it pretty perfect - the head rolling back, shocked neck posture. Whereas our man on the left is a bit similar to just a positioned mannequin in the right place. You see the intent in his face, but where's the braced posture for the firearm. Other than that, the lighting is great too - I especially like the jacket getting some white light and muzzle flash in the victims fingers. Coolio

This is a big improvement on some previous builds you've shown. There's a great consideration of lighting as well on the back / sides of the soldiers which gives a great touch. The only thing 'letting down' the image is maybe a visible source of the light. I understand it's from behind them on the APC (probably) but would it NOT be cool if it gave off a volumetric / slightly foggy effect? Would make the armor highlights stick out and the sniper lazer more dominant too. Some food for thought

Dis is cool I really like this. The cursing streetlights and damning headlights as it falls off the road. The flying debris is a perfect touch as well. I don't have anything negative to point out here - perhaps offer a question to what the purple flash is in the top left which creates an odd green shade in the light but it's a small detail. Very cool

I love this.
Don't quite know what else to say.
Reminds me of: https://simonstalenhag.se/es.html

I like the red, I think the filter could actually work well in like a first person pov kinda image but otherwise for a scene build like this (in wide angle like before), it takes away from the small details you had demonstrated before. When it's a vision jarring effect, it's always good to only include it enough so that you can still see everything going on in the image. An opinion at least bb

• Posing is there.
  • Scene consideration is there
Wanna know what ain't? Some cool ass lighting. Maybe the room he's looking into is on fire and should cast some red on the models through the doorway. Something to liven up the dull brownish-battlefield 4 vibes. The scene and scenario screams excitement and thrills. Keep at it Marius this is real good

Ya got the model, ya got the desk, ya got the lights: but where's the flavor? What's this character about? Are they seriously organised? Are they a total train wreck? Are they super stern and serious? Ya gotta find ways to show these details with what little scene you're including with the build. With some decorations on the desk, you could answer these questions and offer something more interesting for people looking on. Nice work
-

Things to pick up on this week
  • You got the characters, now add character
    • What can you add to your scenes to reflect who is in it? (Models, props, etc)
  • Dramatic lighting
    • Sure ya got some good studio lighting, but what if you want to go for something more theatrical
    • Can you use lights to show something exciting happening off screen?
  • Modelling presence
    • Everything takes force, somethings give force - (it surrounds us, Anakin). How can you reflect force in your poses?
    • Think about how you'd push or pull an object, what parts of your body tense - how can you show this on the models?
This week I especially like this pretty picture here by @Mickey Toast
B9RANoF.png

Lowkey though brother this is a huge step up from previous submissions and work I've seen on your thread before, ya real good with the whole drawing thing
-

Till next time folks

Reactions: List

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
AOTW / WEEK 48 OF 53 / 2020

I been busy, okay
Not much goin on here heh?

Reminds of a zone in Dark Souls 2 just much more pink than I remember it being, really though: The layering work and the choice of colors give an amazing depth and range of how far away objects are. Which the perspective and consideration of scale shows also. I think perhaps the highlight colours could've been a little darker as to not nearly match the whole background, and the moon should've been more flat color wise (as everything else is kind of boldly dark or bright, and it has a whole gradient). Great work though man

Mmmm, glowy eyes, blurry/soft edges, great fixture and positioning. You expecting me to say bad things here? all I can think of is how cool it would be to see them in a scene - otherwise it's great modelling. Great work as always chum
-

Not much feedback this time, both of ya made some great work here
No 'winners'
Take care

D

Deleted member 5162

ERcLnO7.png

so uhh I don't know why but suddenly my shadows are being gay, I've checked my console commands, here they are;

r_projectedtexture_filter 0.2
r_flashlightdepthres 4096

mat_slopescaledepthbias_shadowmap 2
mat_depthbias_shadowmap 0.00001

All lamps are using Heavy Light, rendering the poster will obviously show up with these artifacts and with AA on, those with artifacts will be kind of "blurred" out

help?

holiday adi

黑色土人
Nebulae
ERcLnO7.png

so uhh I don't know why but suddenly my shadows are being gay, I've checked my console commands, here they are;

r_projectedtexture_filter 0.2
r_flashlightdepthres 4096

mat_slopescaledepthbias_shadowmap 2
mat_depthbias_shadowmap 0.00001

All lamps are using Heavy Light, rendering the poster will obviously show up with these artifacts and with AA on, those with artifacts will be kind of "blurred" out

help?

damn man, that is like totally gay

D

Deleted member 5162

GczZM3.png

I am a bit terribly dissappointed in this one, and it didn't turn out what I wanted it to be. Still worth a share though.

also please give me a good image uploader that can hold all of the resolution and not compress everything it comes across to​

Last edited by a moderator: