Completed Rework combat medical rules

Nebulae
Will mark this as completed, but leave it here for now for discussion purposes
There seems to be a lot of confusion with this rule: Active engagement is considered over when the side you are on has not acted defensively or offensively with the fight you died in for 15 minutes.

I've noticed that people don't really know when something transitions into a new engagement and makes it hard to know if we can come back or not. I'm not sure how to gauge if there's been any offensive or defensive actions or not.

Reactions: List

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
There seems to be a lot of confusion with this rule: Active engagement is considered over when the side you are on has not acted defensively or offensively with the fight you died in for 15 minutes.

I've noticed that people don't really know when something transitions into a new engagement and makes it hard to know if we can come back or not. I'm not sure how to gauge if there's been any offensive or defensive actions or not.

Yeah, it has been brought up to me to which I've been discussing internally a re-write for this aspect

There current proposed idea is to increase NLR timer slightly, say to 25. Once that NLR has ended, you can return to combat, but also have a code check running to see if damage has not been taken for a while, which will immediately end all NLR cooldowns (basically what we have now, but without the guessing and staff uncertainty)

So you either will wait the 25 minutes, or it will end early if the fighting does.

Meaning no more guessing if you can or can't, but it is still being discussed currently

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
but also have a code check running to see if damage has not been taken for a while, which will immediately end all NLR cooldowns (basically what we have now, but without the guessing and staff uncertainty)

So you either will wait the 25 minutes, or it will end early if the fighting does.
Personally, I'd omit that inclusion.
to me it largely feels like that'd be a feature of this map nearly exclusively, as no other map we've done has had this level of intensity in terms of combat encounters. and I do hope once the siege ends and we move into new maps, that we slow ourselves back down again.

but aside from that I'd still put value here in letting the nlr timers run on so there is some grace period between big fights.
Alongside concerns over automation not setup for context (IE if there is a prolonged standoff where nobody is advancing on eachother, the automated system kills all NLR and suddenly there's a giant influx of players who all had nlr expire at the same time.)

-

although my overall feeling to a lot of these rule adjustments is that some of these nlr rules are built primarily for this map and the contextual siege, and not for more open-ended, less combat intensive maps and environments.