Jimbo

Molecule
Nebulae
f88d4ur.jpg

Reactions: List

Sulaco

Proton
Nebulae
My country, Ireland is the only location that you can find a place where people are drunk enough for you to "manipulate" that you are not a moron. Yet, they are more likely to care about another cup of beer than your stupid Mussolini meme.

Koch

Time to dance
Nebulae
CompTIA A+ - technically two exams those unfamiliar.

I have a class through my school that was supposed to allow me to take it for free then we got discount vouchers instead.
And by class, I'm referring to a tech school I go to in the morning. So it's not as backwards as if my Highschool was giving it out.
Fuck A+, go for Microsoft & Redhat certifications

Koch

Time to dance
Nebulae
Any specific ones you recommend for software-oriented techs? Programming & Networking are my gig but I really am only wanting to specialize with the programming side of things, I'm particularly fond of higher-level languages because they are easy to learn and fairly damn similar, also don't have to go through all the bullshit. I really have no desire to learn the hardware like an engineer would, but of course I like to understand it just as I do anything else.

Dude I just realized I fucking talk too much.

(Being an IT tech that asks whether you turned it on or off bores the absolute shit out of me)
If you are going into the IT world expecting not to be a standard IT tech first, you're in for a long ass education where you need a masters degree in information technology. Do some research to find what you need, I'm a Microsoft guy so I do Microsoft exams. I'm working on both Client and Server side.

If you're looking to do programming & networking, those are two extremely different areas. You seem like you want to be an automation engineer at that point specializing in network technology, so Cisco may be the way to go for you.

Koch

Time to dance
Nebulae
I've been incredibly lucky, since I was around 6 years old I've had my own computer. My father used to own an ISP and he's taught me a ton, plus, I've read all his old books - most of which are Cisco books and companion guides for exams. He hooked up these two towers 45 miles apart, had to do all the math for it, I swear that is the coolest story he's ever told me - got it on the first try too.

In all honesty I could go be a basic tech today if I wanted to, I already essentially am at my technology school where I work at a service desk where I answer basic shit.

But Microsoft definitely seems the way to go, my teacher recommended the same. Expensive as all hell though, my plan was to get my A+ & Network+ to start with and then move onto the other stuff just for the sake of my portfolio.
I can guarantee you almost no one cares about A+ and Network+ at this point, at least that I know. Go for Microsoft exams.

Reactions: List

Koch

Time to dance
Nebulae
Whatever you say.
Thanks for the advice, you may have just saved me some cash.
Keep in mind you should do some research of your own, I'm not from the States - but I haven't seen anyone in Europe or Asia even mention A+ before