Space

Gungeoneer

Your neighbourly friendly guy.
Nebulae
Heyya people, I thought that I'd make a Thread about discussing Space - because Space is indeed a fascinating theme to talk about. And because the forum is themed around space, so yeah.

Anyways - "Andromeda". Some of you guys surely have heard this name before - and well, it's close to our galaxy, "Milky Way". In fact, it's our neighbor galaxy, as far as I am aware.
Andromeda-Galaxy.jpg

Look at this picture - it's fascinating, isn't it? That's Andromeda. It's twice the size of the Milky Way - as I have read.
In a few billion years, Andromeda and Milky Way will collide. We'll miss it - but I am sure that it'll be very beautiful.

[Just mute the music if you think it's unfitting. It was the most beautiful video of the both collapsing that I found on Youtube. Apologies.]
Anyways, if you want to, you can discuss things about space down below. I'd love to read your replies.

Last edited:
Reactions: List

scrubmcnoob

Human Resource
Nebulae
Space is the most fascinating thing, it trumps everything else really.
To bad we were born to early for some good space travel bruv.

Gungeoneer

Nebulae
@scrubmcnoob

To be honest, I find myself fascinated by space myself.
I thought a discussion like this would be fitting, hence the forum is around Space. And Space is just so beautiful and so big. I'd love to see another planet at some point - while I'd love to think that it would happen, I don't think it will.

Merged:

scrubmcnoob

Human Resource
Nebulae
I thought a discussion like this would be fitting, hence the forum is around Space. And Space is just so beautiful and so big. I'd love to see another planet at some point - while I'd love to think that it would happen, I don't think it will.
At least we can just go out in night and stare at it; looking directly up, craning your neck, really makes the sky look domeish.
I remember when the moon went red over here back in September 2015; had a whole group watching it go from a nice white to bloody red. I think a few clowns got fucked up there.

Gungeoneer

Nebulae
At least we can just go out in night and stare at it; looking directly up, craning your neck, really makes the sky look domeish.
I remember when the moon went red over here back in September 2015; had a whole group watching it go from a nice red to bloody red. I think a few clowns got fucked up there.
Hm. Well, yes. It is rather fascinating looking up into the sky in the night, just seeing the beautiful stars. If you have a microscope you can see 'em even better, more beautiful in all their glory.

scrubmcnoob

Human Resource
Nebulae
I prefer to just bask in the night's whole sky instead of zoomed in sight with a telescope.
That and I don't wanna lug a telescope out.

Gungeoneer

Nebulae
It's nice to look across as long as there is not a shit load of light pollution; in my area there is very little.
I'd love to tell you how much we can see here.. but I don't want to go out this late at night while it's so cold, y'know?

scrubmcnoob

Human Resource
Nebulae
I'd love to tell you how much we can see here.. but I don't want to go out this late at night while it's so cold, y'know?
Ye, summer is always a nice time to do so.
I remember doing some in the winter, I just kept staring up ignoring the cold and letting my leg just spasm to stay warm.

Gungeoneer

Nebulae
Ye, summer is always a nice time to do so.
I remember doing some in the winter, I just kept staring up ignoring the cold and letting my leg just spasm to stay warm.
Lucky it's summer soon.
I really want to just at some point look up into the sky and see lots of stars - just relaxing for a bit.

pudsey

Electron
Nebulae
May be a bit off topic, but I heard there's a star made of solid diamond and a few grams of it is worth trillions.

Martinerrr

Neutrino
Nebulae
I think the recent speculation about a ninth planet is interesting. Planet 9 is a hypothetical world roughly the mass of Neptune that orbits our Sun in a giant ellipse, at a distance of 40 to over 100 billion miles. Although astronomers have proposed hidden ninth planets for years, this latest version has gained quite a bit of traction since it was announced in January 2016. Some have speculated that it may look like this: http://i.imgur.com/Wh3KwzR.jpg

Seriously though, it's assumed that there's an actual planet we haven't discovered yet in the outer Solar System of our own Milky Way - which is called Planet Nine. It's quite astonishing and discerning if this were true, how little we truly know.

Nebulae
May be a bit off topic, but I heard there's a star made of solid diamond and a few grams of it is worth trillions.
Unless it's special mega diamond dust, it wouldn't be worth much- they can make diamonds in labs, plus they're relatively common naturally anyway. I wonder if it acts as a really really big lens though...

Emiin

Quark
Nebulae
*planet
Just to fix your terminology a star is an object in space in which fusion occurs. They fuse hydrogen into helium. It physically can't be a sun with pure carbon in it.

Captain Cardgage

Possibly Union Bias
Nebulae
I think the recent speculation about a ninth planet is interesting. Planet 9 is a hypothetical world roughly the mass of Neptune that orbits our Sun in a giant ellipse, at a distance of 40 to over 100 billion miles. Although astronomers have proposed hidden ninth planets for years, this latest version has gained quite a bit of traction since it was announced in January 2016. Some have speculated that it may look like this: http://i.imgur.com/Wh3KwzR.jpg

Seriously though, it's assumed that there's an actual planet we haven't discovered yet in the outer Solar System of our own Milky Way - which is called Planet Nine. It's quite astonishing and discerning if this were true, how little we truly know.
On other cases like 2-3 years ago we discovered this.
hbuAz6u.jpg

The image shows two supermassive black holes on a collision course with each other. And that another one not far off is heading for both of them.

[EDIT] The galaxy with these I've forgotten unfortunately. But it is about 4.2 billion light years away from us.