Staff transparency regarding the potential future server.

RaphaelDeFusco

Electron
Nebulae
I don't know if this comes across a bit pushy, but I would like to believe that I speak on the behalf of a good chunk of the community.

Essentially what I and I assume others got on their mind, is when will we an get official statement in regards to what the plans are for the potentially new server, that is supposed to replace WW3RP. I already see a decent amount of community members pushing out ideas for a future server, yet nothing is offically backed. I think it would nice for the community to know, when the staff will have an (I assume) private discussion on that particular topic.

• It would be nice to have an ETA of when the topic will be reviewed and discussed by staff.
  • It would be beneficial if the community could get to know what the staffs thoughts are, in order to contribute ideas and suggestions for that particular project.
  • It would save people time if they knew that the lore suggestions they are making ain't something that the staff is looking for. ( The community seems to be full of ideas, but if staff ain't even going to use it/review it then why spend the time writing it?)

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
It will be discussed when the time is right/when we are confident in revealing that something is in the works (if it will be). We are transparent when we need to be, not only for your sake but for our own. The vast majority of things are kept in the dark so they aren't forced onto the servers due to it already having been announced.

/thread

Knight

`impulse-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
It ultimately doesn't come down to the server staff, at most all we can, and all the players can do is provide opinions and ideas, like head staff said in some other thread, they're open to all ideas, and you're free to write a thirty page lore fanfiction for your server idea and post it, but there is 0 guarantee at all that it will ever become a thing.

Plenty of communities have died because upper management come out and say "Hey we got this lined up," and then later down the line due to development problems or other issues they are forced to go back on that announcement, in turn just resulting in players getting really angry from being blue balled.

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
WW3RP. I already see a decent amount of community members pushing out ideas for a future server, yet nothing is offically backed.

Learn to have some patience. Also learn some perspective, like the limited number of people handling back-end development, which means if there's anything in the works then its still in early development, if there isn't then there's other priorities or it's still in planning stages which means there is no reason to officially back anything to the general public.

I think it would nice for the community to know, when the staff will have an (I assume) private discussion on that particular topic.

If you already presume that it's a private discussion, why do you think the community is entitled to know about it? It would be a private discussion for a reason. If they want you to know about it, they would tell you about it when the time is right, specifically when the Head Staff make the decision to make the information public or authorize the newly crowned server director to make an announcement if something comes to fruition.

Quit being in such a rush to get a replacement for WWIII RP, if there's a viable idea I'm sure it will be explored, but they won't rush to a decision just because some WWIII RPers are antsy. You're free to try and pitch any idea you can come up with, but you need to give the Head Staff time to deliberate, and then deliberate with other staff members. Until Head Staff come up with a replacement, IF they want to come up with a replacement, you simply have to be patient and find another outlet for your fantasies.

RaphaelDeFusco

Electron
Nebulae
Learn to have some patience. Also learn some perspective, like the limited number of people handling back-end development, which means if there's anything in the works then its still in early development, if there isn't then there's other priorities or it's still in planning stages which means there is no reason to officially back anything to the general public.

If you already presume that it's a private discussion, why do you think the community is entitled to know about it? It would be a private discussion for a reason. If they want you to know about it, they would tell you about it when the time is right, specifically when the Head Staff make the decision to make the information public or authorize the newly crowned server director to make an announcement if something comes to fruition.

Quit being in such a rush to get a replacement for WWIII RP, if there's a viable idea I'm sure it will be explored, but they won't rush to a decision just because some WWIII RPers are antsy. You're free to try and pitch any idea you can come up with, but you need to give the Head Staff time to deliberate, and then deliberate with other staff members. Until Head Staff come up with a replacement, IF they want to come up with a replacement, you simply have to be patient and find another outlet for your fantasies.

Your comment literally added nothing worthwhile to the conversation since you brought nothing up that wasn't already addressed. Infact all you managed to do was come across as insulting. It should also be noted that in theory, community members will start to migrate if they don't like the HL2 universe and it's the only option. (That's why it's important to let community members that mostly sticked to WW3RP to know what alternatives are gonna pop-up.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 332

I'd honestly just think of the community as a non cancerous form of valve. Ideas are never final, and the staff don't want to get any hopes up or create expectations for things that might not work. Expect staff to continue working on HL2RPs downfalls/ issues until then, as I believe this is a good time to do so.

Reactions: List

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
Fun fact
Alex nor Blackquill nor any of the staff don't officially make the next server
Like WW3RP, EURP and FTRP, players (often more trusted players) make a schema and flesh it out, then they propose it to head staff, at which point head staff either accept or decline, and if they accept they'll chose the SD's.

So when we make lore suggestions, it's not for alex or Blackquill, it's for other players.

e: also you can't shitout a schema in a couple days
e: staff in no way are pressured to shitout another server, there's no requirement for it, neb can keep to HL2RP if no one proposes a schema. There's no quota for servers required, it's just more likely one will happen.

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Your comment literally added nothing worthwhile to the conversation since you brought nothing up that wasn't already addressed. Infact all you managed to do was come across as insulting. It should also be noted that in theory, community members will start to migrate if they don't like the HL2 universe and it's the only option. (That's why it's important to let community members that mostly sticked to WW3RP to know what alternatives are gonna pop-up.)

Oh no, I came across as insulting! How unlike me! /s

And tbh who cares if some WW3 players leave because they don’t get full transparency after the loss of their server. If they’re not here for the community as a whole and just here to jerk off on WW3 they’re not worth keeping around. Good riddance.

They don’t deserve to know what’s up until the time is right, none of us do. We get to know what’s up when the Head Staff decide to tell us it’s a good time to tell us what’s up, if WW3 dweebs can’t handle that, then bye Felicia.

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
And tbh who cares if some WW3 players leave because they don’t get full transparency after the loss of their server. If they’re not here for the community as a whole and just here to jerk off on WW3 they’re not worth keeping around. Good riddance.
also the same ww3rp players didn't play on ww3rp at all else the server would still be here

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
also the same ww3rp players didn't play on ww3rp at all else the server would still be here

His argument might actually have some merit if it was the community's flagship gamemode, which it wasn't. It was a side-gig. It's like expecting your side hoe to be there forever when really she just around for some easy strange for a lil bit. This community was built from the ashes of another community, both centered around HL2RP. Other servers were always just pet projects and never had expectations of longevity that HL2 RP has.

If those players cared so much, the server would still be around like you pointed out. I agree entirely with you on that front. If they actually gave a single fuck the server would still be around. Staff would have had a reason to stick around. Contingency plans could have been arranged after Roosebud stepping down if keeping the server up was viable, which it wasn't. The same players he is describing are the same players to blame for the server's death.

Frankly, I don't want people at Nebulous if they have no intention on actually integrating in the community and just come and go for a particular gamemode (Ventmob 1.0, 2.0 and Revolt had the same issue revolving around Experiment where people would only come for that gamemode and then disappear when it went down). It doesn't help the community at all, it just inflates some statistics for the server like player count, maybe a few extra premium subscriptions at best. These players could be great folks for all we know but they refuse to be a part of the community at large and would rather isolate themselves to a niche that was bound by fate to disappear, and with the server, them as well.

If they're not willing to integrate, who gives a fuck about them? I certainly don't. Like fuck it, let them leave. If they don't find something else that scratches that itch either they'll come crawling back on their knees or they'll go play pubg or some shit. I don't even play on the servers at all, yet I'm still around. I don't need a server that Neb hosts to keep me here. I have friends here, such as Alex and Roosebud, that I've known for years, practically going on 10 years if I recall correctly. It's the people and discourse that keeps me around, not what server I can spray jew repellent on.

RaphaelDeFusco

Electron
Nebulae
Well not everyone is fond is HL2RP, it's a gamemode that has been around for a such a long time. Like I've spend something like about 5 years playing HL2RP in various communities and at some point you just get burned out. WW3RP was interesting to me because of the way the community had responsiblities according to their ranks along with the teamwork and coordination it required.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
It's literally because much like everything else if you make announcements you can't keep the timeline of you risk backlash. Look at what happened when people expected Outlands and that never happened? We've had threads for the past two years.

Generally speaking it pays to keep things back rather than hype people up unless you have something specifically planned. Especially given people usually don't expect the real answers anyway.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Like WW3RP, EURP and FTRP, players (often more trusted players) make a schema and flesh it out, then they propose it to head staff, at which point head staff either accept or decline, and if they accept they'll chose the SD's.

by that you mean @Powley who iirc has made most of the schemas we've used

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Fun fact
Alex nor Blackquill nor any of the staff don't officially make the next server
you're wrong though

that's how it's happened in the past but not how it always works, See: Experiment; that was developed by us.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
but tbf experiment only lasted for like a week?
it wasn't designed for longevity tbh

But it was developed and designed by us, meaning that ideas aren't just pitched to us and ran by players; we might have our own ideas and decide to go with those

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
it wasn't designed for longevity tbh

But it was developed and designed by us, meaning that ideas aren't just pitched to us and ran by players; we might have our own ideas and decide to go with those

but statistically speaking, there's been more servers where the players had made the schema than servers made by the community management.
and the second part of my statement holds true, there's no requirement to have two servers.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
but statistically speaking, there's been more servers where the players had made the schema than servers made by the community management.
and the second part of my statement holds true, there's no requirement to have two servers.
yeah but people shouldn't get the false impression that's how it always goes