Serious State of Decay: An Autopsy of the Half-Life 2 City RP Setting in Garry's Mod

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Speaking personally, off-duty units are an incredibly mixed bag, having seen them used at TnB since 2015.

On one hand it did allow for some incredibly good roleplay in certain settings like bars and such. It allowed cops to potentially interact with rebels and get involved in things that could shape their characters.

On the other it was a major headache because it introduces a level of OOC paranoia that can be very hard to shake and even then cops were forbidden from actually using info they overheard because of the (numerous) times in Legacy you had them instantly running back to the Nexus to slap their suits on and go deal with whoever they'd eavesdropped on. Metagame accusations were rampant and it was very frustrating to trust the other person was playing fair because cops (obviously) have no "tells" that the average person can pick up on unless the person is playing fair.

Reactions: List

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
Speaking personally, off-duty units are an incredibly mixed bag, having seen them used at TnB since 2015.

On one hand it did allow for some incredibly good roleplay in certain settings like bars and such. It allowed cops to potentially interact with rebels and get involved in things that could shape their characters.

On the other it was a major headache because it introduces a level of OOC paranoia that can be very hard to shake and even then cops were forbidden from actually using info they overheard because of the (numerous) times in Legacy you had them instantly running back to the Nexus to slap their suits on and go deal with whoever they'd eavesdropped on. Metagame accusations were rampant and it was very frustrating to trust the other person was playing fair because cops (obviously) have no "tells" that the average person can pick up on unless the person is playing fair.

I think if you batch the on/off duty system with an abridged approach to "consequences" in roleplay, this kind of behaviour becomes much less unfair in that it is no longer an angle to try and get people killed off & eliminated.

Cindy

Nebulae
@Rabid There's also systems to be considered in adjusting how cops could interact with the ability to go on and off duty. Realistically you don't just jump in your job on a whim, you have a scheduled shift- something that is difficult to emulate in roleplay.

It could be interesting to see a system where cops couldn't get back on duty for the rest of the day once they clocked out for that day. That way, you start your day as a cop on duty and then go into being a citizen, which would cut down drastically on cops seeing something as a citizen and immediately jumping in their suit.

I know that's an imperfect system but it's more to articulate that there are ways to address that issue.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
god this was a read

i remember back in Relentless, there was a time where the 3 main factions, CPs, Civs, Rebs were in perfect equilibrium

and it was fucking beautiful

off-duty cops were a thing, but you couldn't go "I'm off duty check my record" to CPs because revealing that you are an off-duty CP is in and of itself a crime
the dev had coded it so if you'd flagged on your off-duty char you couldnt flag on your CP char for 6 hours, so no Superman opening his jacket business either

rebels could get access to datapads and find out who's an off-duty cop, so after a wave of sudden CP deaths occurred the higher ranking units unofficially fired several CPs if they decided to infiltrate rebel cells, only to re-hire them the moment they put their uniform back on

and then rebels started going after the higher-ups in order to stop that happening

which caused CPs to make an unofficial division of CPs who dressed like high-ranking CPs but were in fact not, and they'd just stand around officers looking important in order to minimize the odds of hits going off successfully

which then lead to rebels resorting to bombings and terrorism

and all of this shit happened with no OOC arguments because very rarely was the fate of a character "fuck you, you die"
if my CP captured a rebel then 9/10 times he'd buy out the rebel's loyalty and wipe their record before releasing them

shit came to a head when a rebel went rogue from the fucking rebels themselves and started indiscriminately murdering people
it got so bad that my CP said "fuck it" and just walked into the rebel base, greeted by 12+ dudes he'd bought off months ago and a few very confused rebels who didn't know what was going on

and the rebels were like "yeah fuck this we're sick of this guy too" and we ended up working together briefly to hunt down this dude who's been assassinating fucking CWU workers and other people who have no business being killed

even citizens joined in to lock down doors when we managed to isolate him to the apartment building, and it culminated in what was basically the entire server's rebel/citizen online population + a few CPs beating the shit out of one guy before tossing him off the bridge to his death

and then we all agreed that we saw nothing, and walked off

i miss that server

Soltïm

im alive bitches
Nebulae
god this was a read

i remember back in Relentless, there was a time where the 3 main factions, CPs, Civs, Rebs were in perfect equilibrium

off-duty cops were a thing, but you couldn't go "I'm off duty check my record" to CPs because revealing that you are an off-duty CP is in and of itself a crime
the dev had coded it so if you'd flagged on your off-duty char you couldnt flag on your CP char for 6 hours, so no Superman opening his jacket business either

rebels could get access to datapads and find out who's an off-duty cop, so after a wave of sudden CP deaths occurred the higher ranking units unofficially fired several CPs if they decided to infiltrate rebel cells, only to re-hire them the moment they put their uniform back on

and then rebels started going after the higher-ups in order to stop that happening

which caused CPs to make an unofficial division of CPs who dressed like high-ranking CPs but were in fact not, and they'd just stand around officers looking important in order to minimize the odds of hits going off successfully

and all of this shit happened with no OOC arguments because very rarely was the fate of a character "fuck you, you die"
if my CP captured a rebel then 9/10 times he'd buy out the rebel's loyalty and wipe their record before releasing them

shit came to a head when a rebel went rogue from the fucking rebels themselves and started indiscriminately murdering people
it got so bad that my CP said "fuck it" and just walked into the rebel base, greeted by 12+ dudes he'd bought off months ago and a few very confused rebels who didn't know what was going on

and the rebels were like "yeah fuck this we're sick of this guy too" and we ended up working together briefly to hunt down this dude who's been assassinating fucking CWU workers and other people who have no business being killed

even citizens joined in to lock down doors when we managed to isolate him to the apartment building, and it culminated in what was basically the entire server's rebel/citizen online population + a few CPs beating the shit out of one guy before tossing him off the bridge to his death

i miss that server
..and then everyone clapped

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
staring-black-man-staring.gif

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Took me a while to get around to reading this, what with the holiday season limiting my ability to read long texts, but I'm glad I finally got to it.

You've written something truly spectacular. I've always struggled to articulate how to express the fundamentals of HL2RP, and never made a particular show of my findings. The conclusion - if it could be called that - I arrived at were the trichotomy of systems, freedoms and prompts.
Systems being structures like rules, factions/whitelists and the general spirit of "apply for auths."
Freedoms being, unsurprisingly, the liberty to do as much as you want with minimal red tape.
Prompts, however, are a culmination of the effects of systems and freedoms. Both working creatively around restrictions as well as flourishing without being restricted. This is what leads to prompts - ergo roleplay and character development.

Events both great and small circumvent this process (but not always, as playermade prompts might lead to the creation of more formal events). Whereas systems and freedoms exist to give people the means to make their own prompts, the staff (admins and sometimes-separate event managers alike) have oft chipped in with the power vested in them to create prompts through the use of events. Not for their own, in-character interests, but rather out-of-character motivation to bring roleplay unto others.

Idk, maybe I'll try to write my thoughts down more in-depth in their own thread, as to not hijack the your own.
However, I'd say your analysis is much more thorough and more directly delves into the exact dynamics of CityRP. You have my respect for the passion and thought you've put into this!

Cindy

Nebulae
cindy's 20min cheat sheet & instruction manual to escape event dependency les' goooo (will edit into the OP later in some way)

Organic roleplay scenario (ORS):
- Roleplay that has transpired as a result of an initiator creating an interaction with other players. These should make up the majority of interactions in your server, or you will soon find your GM/admin volunteers overworked.

Inorganic roleplay scenario (IRS):
- Roleplay that has transpired as a result of an outside element, such as being pre-arranged OOC or circumstances that have been premeditated by a GM or admin. These should be created sparingly and should not be overdone, or your players will begin to crave the scenarios that require tedious production over the ones they can create themselves.

Gameism (G):
- The desire to win over others or participate in an overall system.

Narrativism (N):
- The desire to tell or fulfill a story.

Simulationism (S):
- The desire to depict in inspiration from the source material.

Mechanical Purpose of Faction (MPF):
- The role of a faction in the server, and how its role in conjunction with other faction's roles will produce roleplay scenarios in the daily server experience either by initiating them or presenting itself to receive them.

Personal Fantasy of Player (PFP):
- The ambitions of an individual player, which can indicate an individual's (G), (N) and (S) values. If something can actualize a PFP, it has a strong chance of making that player initiate an ORS in the interest of seeking their own PFP.

Initiator (Init)
- The initiator creates an ORS with other(s).

Receiver (Rec)
- The receiver of an ORS.

Mission statement of a server:

Players should be encouraged to initiate ORS with other players by being presented with opportunities that allow said player to actualize their own PFP, which is determined by that player's (G), (N) and (S) values. While not every player can be an initiator in every scenario, your server should present enough opportunities that what initiators there are become capable of striking that spark, which with the facilitation of factions in the server (as well as any present GM/admin staff) that sequence of scenarios can take on a life of its own.

Each faction's MPF should contribute to an overall cycle that will encourage each other faction to interact. By creating opportunities for players to actualize their PFP, that player will become an initiator of an ORS as a result, which can create a chain reaction and cause more ORS to occur.

You will often want players to do what they are not doing. Investigate the why's and how's through these tools. Evaluate your factions and their ability to achieve this equilibrium. Players may not have the inner sight on how to perfectly convey what they want, so listen to the intent behind their words through these terms.

Raiden

cool cat
Premium Member
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
god this was a read

i miss that server
This is real, I was on the staff team during this.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
This is real, I was on the staff team during this.

bro do you remember when my CP got held up by your rebel + 2 others and yall recognized me and went “bro wtf are you doing here we could’ve killed you”

it’s amazing how Mary Sue’ish my CP sounded when described like that and it’s incredible I did mega manipulative shit like that when I was like 16

way too anxiety-riddled to try that now I’d cry the moment I arrest someone

verTix

Electron
Nebulae
still waiting for a custom lore post-occ server (100-200 years later) with various warbands of hyper souped-up synths and new OTA variants led by several scattered and disconnected advisors who have taken hold of various defensive strongholds around the world

each advisor would have its own legion of different types of synths created from native earth/xen flora and fauna and would work to achieve different goals. some would try to re-establish connections by any means necessary. some would rebuild something resembling a city. some advisors could be loyal, while some could go insane from being disconnected from the regime and work for their own gain -- raiding nearby settlements and taking slaves to stalkerize or turn into transhuman operatives. hell, add some grimdark. human farms for OTA operatives and meat farms for neural biomass to use as data centers (HLA did this already on a small scale)

the remnants of humanity would suffer from routine antlion and advisor warband attacks but over time they've reverse-engineered combine technology to achieve previously-impossible feats like antlion grub farming for biogel (regenerative healing and biological immortality for the rich) and repurposed scanners/manhacks for maintenance work. not to mention the new weaponry created from reverse-engineered combine tech (see the thunder's leaves mod for some inspiration)

some human societies have completely forgotten the evils of the combine. some even worship the advisors like gods, using old breencast transcripts as holy scripture. mimicking what they perceive as what the combine would have done if their plan wasn't thwarted. augmentation, brainwashing, etc. these religious fanatics would be arguably even worse and more brutal than the remaining advisors

think fallout but instead of nuclear war it was the 7 hour war and combine occupation. sprinkle in some 40k inspiration and you have something that could be kino

and no it wouldn't be like .dust it would be like at least 100 years after the occupation to give a reasonable timeframe for humanity to recuperate and for advisors to rebuild mini feudal empires

OR!!! Another hard occupation server set in a loyalist city in the middle of the combine regime.

yeah i reposted this and if you noticed fuck you

Cindy

Nebulae
still waiting for a custom lore post-occ server (100-200 years later) with various warbands of hyper souped-up synths and new OTA variants led by several scattered and disconnected advisors who have taken hold of various defensive strongholds around the world

each advisor would have its own legion of different types of synths created from native earth/xen flora and fauna and would work to achieve different goals. some would try to re-establish connections by any means necessary. some would rebuild something resembling a city. some advisors could be loyal, while some could go insane from being disconnected from the regime and work for their own gain -- raiding nearby settlements and taking slaves to stalkerize or turn into transhuman operatives. hell, add some grimdark. human farms for OTA operatives and meat farms for neural biomass to use as data centers (HLA did this already on a small scale)

the remnants of humanity would suffer from routine antlion and advisor warband attacks but over time they've reverse-engineered combine technology to achieve previously-impossible feats like antlion grub farming for biogel (regenerative healing and biological immortality for the rich) and repurposed scanners/manhacks for maintenance work. not to mention the new weaponry created from reverse-engineered combine tech (see the thunder's leaves mod for some inspiration)

some human societies have completely forgotten the evils of the combine. some even worship the advisors like gods, using old breencast transcripts as holy scripture. mimicking what they perceive as what the combine would have done if their plan wasn't thwarted. augmentation, brainwashing, etc. these religious fanatics would be arguably even worse and more brutal than the remaining advisors

think fallout but instead of nuclear war it was the 7 hour war and combine occupation. sprinkle in some 40k inspiration and you have something that could be kino

and no it wouldn't be like .dust it would be like at least 100 years after the occupation to give a reasonable timeframe for humanity to recuperate and for advisors to rebuild mini feudal empires

OR!!! Another hard occupation server set in a loyalist city in the middle of the combine regime.

Not pictured: me scrambling off my couch and flying down the stairs to my PC because I have a write-up of exactly this that I’ve been looking for a reason to post

Cindy

Nebulae

ok so its not exactly the same but its within this same creative space. I had a free, adult Shu'ulathoi character by the moniker of "the Pilgrim" that I used from time to time for events at HLNA, and now in my own writing, and this event was meant to be a sort of dreamwalk/vision into a possible future that players would be able to attribute to what their real, present day characters witnessed in their dream.

enjoy

WEaj5is.png

JANUARY 11th, 886 AF
(AFTER FRACTURING)

ALMOST NINE HUNDRED YEARS HAVE PASSED SINCE THE HUMANS OF SOL-III AND THE VORTIGAUNTS FROM AFAR ATTEMPTED TO SHAKE AWAY FROM THEIR OPPRESSORS. THOUGH THEIR ATTEMPTS AT FREEDOM WERE ULTIMATELY IN VAIN, THEIR REVOLUTION STRUCT A SIGNIFICANT BLOW TO THE REMAINING COMBINE FORCES: TOTAL AND UTTER SEVERANCE FROM THE COMBINE OVERWORLD.

IN THE ABSENCE OF A HIGHER AUTHORITY, THE SUBJUGATED SHU'ULATHOI STATIONED ON SOL-III ASSUMED CONTROL, AND A MUTUAL AGREEMENT WAS STRUCK BETWEEN THE REMAINING THIRTY-EIGHT ADVISORS. THIS ALLIANCE LASTED ONLY LONG ENOUGH FOR THE REMNANT COMBINE FORCES TO REASSUME CONTROL OF THE EASTERN AND NORTHERN HEMISPHERES.

AT WHICH POINT, CIVIL WAR BROKE OUT BETWEEN THE SHU'ULATHOI OVER DISAGREEMENTS ON HOW TO PROPERLY ADDRESS THE DISCONNECTION FROM THE OVERWORLD, EACH OF WHICH ASSUMING COMMAND OF A SIZABLE AMOUNT OF THE REMAINING SYNTHETIC AND TRANSHUMAN FORCES. THIS WAS THE START OF THE BENEFACTOR'S WAR, AND IN THE YEARS TO COME, MANY OF THESE FACTIONS WOULD FALL UNTO ONE ANOTHER; ITS ARSENAL AND TROOPS ASSIMILLATING INTO THE VICTOR AS BATTLES CONTINUED TO RAVAGE WHAT REMAINED OF HUMANITY AND ITS HOME.

OVER THE COURSE OF THE WAR, HUMANITY HAS REGRESSED BACK TO THE TECHNOLOGICAL APTITUDE OF FEUDAL EUROPE. MANY SETTLEMENTS DEPEND ON THEIR OCCUPYING BENEFACTOR FOR PROTECTION. DUE TO GENERATIONS OF RUIN, THE HISTORY OF SOL-III HAS BEEN LOST IN MYTH. TECHNOLOGY OF ANY KIND HAS BEEN SEIZED AND HOARDED BY THE FEUDING BENEFACTORS, IN KNOWING THAT HE WHO CONTROLS THE SCIENCE OF MAN CONTROLS MAN HIMSELF.

YOU ARE A HUMAN UNDER THE REIGN OF THE BENEFACTOR XIERATHEISE, KNOWN FORMALLY AS "A THOUSAND LIGHTS WALK IN THEIR SHADOWS." THEY ARE RENOWN AS ONE OF THE WISEST AMONG THE WARRING BENEFACTORS AND ONE OF THE MOST BENEVOLENT TO ITS HUMAN SUBJECTS. THEY ARE ACTIVELY ENGAGED IN A TERRITORIAL DISPUTE IN NORTHEASTERN AFRICA WITH AN INFAMOUSLY RUTHLESS SHU'ULATHOI: YIL-GADA'M, KNOWN FORMALLY AS "THEIR FIRE SPEAKS OF ASHES." PREVIOUSLY GOOD RELATIONS BETWEEN XIERATHEISE AND YIL-GADA'M DURING THE WAR HAS OFFERED A SENSE OF SAFETY IN THE VALLEY, BUT IT IS ONLY INEVITABLE NOW THAT XIERATHEISE' EXALTED KNIGHTS WILL MARCH ON YOUR VILLAGE TO SEEK ABLE BODIED MEN AND WOMEN TO AID IN THE WAR EFFORT.

THE FATE OF SOL-III- WHAT REMAINS OF IT, HANGS IN THE BALANCE. YOU STAND ON THE PRECIPICE OF A GREAT CHANGE, OR THE FALL OF ALL THAT WILL EVER BE . . .

ycYLJID.png

slick

give this guy his adm*n back
Nebulae
ok so its not exactly the same but its within this same creative space. I had a free, adult Shu'ulathoi character by the moniker of "the Pilgrim" that I used from time to time for events at HLNA, and now in my own writing, and this event was meant to be a sort of dreamwalk/vision into a possible future that players would be able to attribute to what their real, present day characters witnessed in their dream.

enjoy

WEaj5is.png

JANUARY 11th, 886 AF
(AFTER FRACTURING)

ALMOST NINE HUNDRED YEARS HAVE PASSED SINCE THE HUMANS OF SOL-III AND THE VORTIGAUNTS FROM AFAR ATTEMPTED TO SHAKE AWAY FROM THEIR OPPRESSORS. THOUGH THEIR ATTEMPTS AT FREEDOM WERE ULTIMATELY IN VAIN, THEIR REVOLUTION STRUCT A SIGNIFICANT BLOW TO THE REMAINING COMBINE FORCES: TOTAL AND UTTER SEVERANCE FROM THE COMBINE OVERWORLD.

IN THE ABSENCE OF A HIGHER AUTHORITY, THE SUBJUGATED SHU'ULATHOI STATIONED ON SOL-III ASSUMED CONTROL, AND A MUTUAL AGREEMENT WAS STRUCK BETWEEN THE REMAINING THIRTY-EIGHT ADVISORS. THIS ALLIANCE LASTED ONLY LONG ENOUGH FOR THE REMNANT COMBINE FORCES TO REASSUME CONTROL OF THE EASTERN AND NORTHERN HEMISPHERES.

AT WHICH POINT, CIVIL WAR BROKE OUT BETWEEN THE SHU'ULATHOI OVER DISAGREEMENTS ON HOW TO PROPERLY ADDRESS THE DISCONNECTION FROM THE OVERWORLD, EACH OF WHICH ASSUMING COMMAND OF A SIZABLE AMOUNT OF THE REMAINING SYNTHETIC AND TRANSHUMAN FORCES. THIS WAS THE START OF THE BENEFACTOR'S WAR, AND IN THE YEARS TO COME, MANY OF THESE FACTIONS WOULD FALL UNTO ONE ANOTHER; ITS ARSENAL AND TROOPS ASSIMILLATING INTO THE VICTOR AS BATTLES CONTINUED TO RAVAGE WHAT REMAINED OF HUMANITY AND ITS HOME.

OVER THE COURSE OF THE WAR, HUMANITY HAS REGRESSED BACK TO THE TECHNOLOGICAL APTITUDE OF FEUDAL EUROPE. MANY SETTLEMENTS DEPEND ON THEIR OCCUPYING BENEFACTOR FOR PROTECTION. DUE TO GENERATIONS OF RUIN, THE HISTORY OF SOL-III HAS BEEN LOST IN MYTH. TECHNOLOGY OF ANY KIND HAS BEEN SEIZED AND HOARDED BY THE FEUDING BENEFACTORS, IN KNOWING THAT HE WHO CONTROLS THE SCIENCE OF MAN CONTROLS MAN HIMSELF.

YOU ARE A HUMAN UNDER THE REIGN OF THE BENEFACTOR XIERATHEISE, KNOWN FORMALLY AS "A THOUSAND LIGHTS WALK IN THEIR SHADOWS." THEY ARE RENOWN AS ONE OF THE WISEST AMONG THE WARRING BENEFACTORS AND ONE OF THE MOST BENEVOLENT TO ITS HUMAN SUBJECTS. THEY ARE ACTIVELY ENGAGED IN A TERRITORIAL DISPUTE IN NORTHEASTERN AFRICA WITH AN INFAMOUSLY RUTHLESS SHU'ULATHOI: YIL-GADA'M, KNOWN FORMALLY AS "THEIR FIRE SPEAKS OF ASHES." PREVIOUSLY GOOD RELATIONS BETWEEN XIERATHEISE AND YIL-GADA'M DURING THE WAR HAS OFFERED A SENSE OF SAFETY IN THE VALLEY, BUT IT IS ONLY INEVITABLE NOW THAT XIERATHEISE' EXALTED KNIGHTS WILL MARCH ON YOUR VILLAGE TO SEEK ABLE BODIED MEN AND WOMEN TO AID IN THE WAR EFFORT.

THE FATE OF SOL-III- WHAT REMAINS OF IT, HANGS IN THE BALANCE. YOU STAND ON THE PRECIPICE OF A GREAT CHANGE, OR THE FALL OF ALL THAT WILL EVER BE . . .

ycYLJID.png

i want this

Thood74

Molecule
Premium Member
Nebulae
Organic roleplay scenario (ORS):
- Roleplay that has transpired as a result of an initiator creating an interaction with other players. These should make up the majority of interactions in your server, or you will soon find your GM/admin volunteers overworked.

Inorganic roleplay scenario (IRS):
- Roleplay that has transpired as a result of an outside element, such as being pre-arranged OOC or circumstances that have been premeditated by a GM or admin. These should be created sparingly and should not be overdone, or your players will begin to crave the scenarios that require tedious production over the ones they can create themselves.
So basically what you are saying is you should avoid the IRS at all costs

Cindy

Nebulae
So basically what you are saying is you should avoid the IRS at all costs

at first, I was adverse to having some acronyms that’d be easily memed, but also that makes them easy to remember and thus easier to consider effectively when you’re in or creating roleplay