Subnautica: Below Zero - EARLY ACCESS 30TH JANUARY

aperson

Molecule
Nebulae
Ok now that this thread was bumped i can say that subnautica is perhaps the most overrated game in recent memory, i will take no further questions
good concept
not so good execution

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Never actually bothered to look in this part of the forums until recently, but here I am now.

Subnautica is one of my top ten games and when I got my hands on Below Zero back around Christmas, it was amazing. I buzzed through so much of it really quickly, but ended up hitting stuff that wasn't completed yet and so I basically had to put out my burning passion to keep playing in order to not spoil more story with an incomplete ending.

The new mechanics are awesome, travelling on the 'surface' is honestly fucking exhilarating and they've done a great job (though I wish they'd fix the bike so you don't get as easily knocked off, and they decrease the 'pickup' area on it so it's not as easy to pick up the bike when you get knocked off it whilst trying to run away from the worm.

I'm also loving the story so far too, but I won't get into it too much for super spoilers sake.

I'm also loving the night skybox too, I took this pretty early in;
20201228160510_1.jpg

(and yes I'm the kinda guy who beacons literally every biome and thing he finds moderately important, sue me)

overall, absolutely can't wait until the full release, twisty bridges biome best place for a base + table coral everywhere there, you're welcome.

also, feat me shitting my pants whilst in purple vents biome with my truck, I swam down to grab some materials, i turn to swim up and see this above my fucking truck. real divers know exactly what that fucker is
20201229193119_1.jpg

May 14th release date, only three weeks!

Reactions: List

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
It's out BTW, and I've been playing the shit out of it for the past two days.

So far, really really awesome, until I ended up bugging myself, clipping outside of the world, ending up in a save/quit loop and having to alt+f4 the game to get out.

Early/mid game spoilers ahead
So first off, I went over to the radio tower and ended up running into someone whose voice I instantly remembered as Margeurit from the first game, though how the hell she's alive is beyond me, after a little base building montage (I'll post pics when it's done, imo twisty bridges biome best place to live btw) I managed to chase her down and find her house, the cutscene and the entire place is honestly, nothing short of fucking awesome.

After that, I decided to follow the alien distress beacon and picked up AL-AN, which was awesome and scary, and then started exploring the rest of the world.

So far, I've murdered 3 squidsharks with nothing but a knife and determination, who lived under my house, and I've yet to see a reaper leviathan. I've seen the red mini-leviathans nearby the lilypads and the purple vents, but they're not as intimidating imo.

I also explored all of the Mercury II, which was pretty cool. I now have about eight nuclear rods sitting in a locker and no nuclear reactor to use them with, so I guess I know what I'm building next.

I've also gotten the prawn suit (aka the "Leviathan-Puncher") and my seatruck has junk in the trunk, with a storage module, though getting in and out of it caused me to clip through the world once and caused the bug I talked about earlier, so if it's a re-occurring thing I might just leave it behind at some point.

Overall, I've only really scratched the surface, which is ironic as I've yet to properly explore the surface yet beyond the outposts, but so far, it's honestly really, really, good. Bug aside, 8/10 so far, yet to find a Cuddlefish BFF.