Information "Tabletop Central" - Tabletop Gaming Megathread

Blitz0012

Proton
Nebulae
making your own TTRPG is a fucking pain
It is pretty hard, yeah, all I actually did was slap 40k Kill Team mechanics into DnD 5e. I didn't actually have to do all that much, really. It's just time consuming.

I had originally wanted to do a S.T.A.L.K.E.R TTRPG but couldn't find any models for it.

Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
It is pretty hard, yeah, all I actually did was slap 40k Kill Team mechanics into DnD 5e. I didn't actually have to do all that much, really. It's just time consuming.

I had originally wanted to do a S.T.A.L.K.E.R TTRPG but couldn't find any models for it.

i know of people who still want to make a HL2RP TTRPG

Laura

Nucleus
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Nebulae
I may or may not have homebrewed everything.
huhog.gif

Laura

Nucleus
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Nebulae
i know of people who still want to make a HL2RP TTRPG
A project I have been thinking of doing. I just don't know if I'll ever use it or share it haha.

Warwick

Mum Looks Like Tracy Beaker
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Anyone got any Dungeon Master tips? Gonna be doing it first time soon-ish (if we can beat the real boss of DnD - finding the time to do it).
fun comes first, always

anything that initially seems unbalanced probably is balanced.

if everyone at the table is having fun, including yourself, then you're doing DMing right
@MaXenzie is my favourite DM I've ever had.

That being said, him and I run things very differently.

My advice bottles down to:

• Never be afraid to say no to something. Be that homebrew (which is almost always broken), an action taken by a player, or someone asking to roll something.
• Encourage everyone to RP. Even if they're not used to it, it'll take some time, and when they come out of their shell, it's a much more enjoyable experience. (This being said, don't push people further than they actually want.)
• Start simple. I recommend Lost Mine of Phandelver, a 5th Edition DND campaign.
• Don't be afraid to kill characters. People developing the idea that their characters are immune to punishment, repercussion and death - is problematic after a long time.
• Remember, it's not you versus them. You're all telling a story, together.

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
@MaXenzie is my favourite DM I've ever had.

That being said, him and I run things very differently.

My advice bottles down to:

• Never be afraid to say no to something. Be that homebrew (which is almost always broken), an action taken by a player, or someone asking to roll something.
• Encourage everyone to RP. Even if they're not used to it, it'll take some time, and when they come out of their shell, it's a much more enjoyable experience. (This being said, don't push people further than they actually want.)
• Start simple. I recommend Lost Mine of Phandelver, a 5th Edition DND campaign.
• Don't be afraid to kill characters. People developing the idea that their characters are immune to punishment, repercussion and death - is problematic after a long time.
This!

and also every DM is different, some people have different styles, so don't try to copy someone's style that might not fit with you, so try to find your style and what you are most comfortable with and when you have players see how the party interacts with each other, some party's might have some members who do not have a good cohesion with the party, and while rare it can happen so it's ok to talk with player's individually to sort those issues.

Warwick

Mum Looks Like Tracy Beaker
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
This!

and also every DM is different, some people have different styles, so don't try to copy someone's style that might not fit with you, so try to find your style and what you are most comfortable with and when you have players see how the party interacts with each other, some party's might have some members who do not have a good cohesion with the party, and while rare it can happen so it's ok to talk with player's individually to sort those issues.
This 100%.

Do a session zero. Work out what everyone wants from the game. Don't be afraid to tell people they might not be interested in what you're running. Don't be afraid to tell people that perhaps they're incompatible if they're unable to commit to the social contract that's involved, such as turning up every week/fortnight/month etcetera.

And the biggest one?

Don't try and be Matt Mercer. It won't work.

Blitz0012

Proton
Nebulae
I've really been looking forward to it for this reason. I also like the idea of RP potential while we're face to face, mostly because I know my irl gremlin friends will be more than capable.

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
Anybody have experience with Dark Heresy?

Is it worth playing the 2nd edition I've been in the mood for some 40k shit

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

i have experience with trying to play it and then stopping at character creation.

i recommend Wrath & Glory for something less insane

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
i have experience with trying to play it and then stopping at character creation.

i recommend Wrath & Glory for something less insane
i heard wrath and glory is more wacky

and i know 40k is VERY wacky but i do enjoy when you sit down and take the world seriously and appreciate the dystopian horror

can you get that tone from wrath and glory?

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

and i know 40k is VERY wacky but i do enjoy when you sit down and take the world seriously and appreciate the dystopian horror

just set it somewhere dark

Wrath & Glory is very open-ended because it has rules for playing basically everything up to inquisitors, orks, dark eldar, commissars, space marines, and inquisitorial acolytes

but you can just run a Tier 1 campaign for something grittier

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
just set it somewhere dark

Wrath & Glory is very open-ended because it has rules for playing basically everything up to inquisitors, orks, dark eldar, commissars, space marines, and inquisitorial acolytes

but you can just run a Tier 1 campaign for something grittier
my grims are darking and shit rn you feel me?

Essence

Proton
Nebulae

Dark Heresy is definitely the most flexible and freeform out of the 40K games in my experience, but yeah - the 'wacky' factor for plotlines and what you 'actually' do in the game. It's Mission Focused, Low-Power, and has a mix of dungeon crawling and social interrogation.

Wrath and Glory is lauded as having a system that's more steamlined and much better mechanically than the d100 system you see in other 40K games. Though tbf the d100 system, while it has a small learning curve, is easy to understand and get used to. But one of the big appeals is that W&G condenses and boxes in the math in a tighter way, which makes for more consistent results. It's also very easy to get off-rails with W&G and improvise as need be, even though you can do that well with any system if you have a good core fundamental understanding of what game you're playing. Also, you can pretty much play any of the older 40K games in W&G to my understanding, since it's trying for a more modular approach.

Personally, even though I don't play 40K a lot, my favourite tabletop 40K game that I have played is Rogue Trader. You're basically playing Pirate Corporate Star Trek in an incredibly dangerous, deadly universe where everything tries to kill you. It's very player and narrative focused, and - while the mechanics aren't really that great with certain subsystems - the setting is incredibly fleshed-out and fits almost perfectly with the more 'serious' and truly 'grimdark' aspects of 40K, because space travel is fucking horrifying. The PC's are immensely competent and very powerful from the get-go, so they tend to face more of the bigger and more harrowing threats within the universe.

Plus, giving it a read-over will prime you for the Rogue Trader CRPG coming out in like two days by the same people who made the Pathfinder games.

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
Dark Heresy is definitely the most flexible and freeform out of the 40K games in my experience, but yeah - the 'wacky' factor for plotlines and what you 'actually' do in the game. It's Mission Focused, Low-Power, and has a mix of dungeon crawling and social interrogation.

Wrath and Glory is lauded as having a system that's more steamlined and much better mechanically than the d100 system you see in other 40K games. Though tbf the d100 system, while it has a small learning curve, is easy to understand and get used to. But one of the big appeals is that W&G condenses and boxes in the math in a tighter way, which makes for more consistent results. It's also very easy to get off-rails with W&G and improvise as need be, even though you can do that well with any system if you have a good core fundamental understanding of what game you're playing. Also, you can pretty much play any of the older 40K games in W&G to my understanding, since it's trying for a more modular approach.

Personally, even though I don't play 40K a lot, my favourite tabletop 40K game that I have played is Rogue Trader. You're basically playing Pirate Corporate Star Trek in an incredibly dangerous, deadly universe where everything tries to kill you. It's very player and narrative focused, and - while the mechanics aren't really that great with certain subsystems - the setting is incredibly fleshed-out and fits almost perfectly with the more 'serious' and truly 'grimdark' aspects of 40K, because space travel is fucking horrifying. The PC's are immensely competent and very powerful from the get-go, so they tend to face more of the bigger and more harrowing threats within the universe.

Plus, giving it a read-over will prime you for the Rogue Trader CRPG coming out in like two days by the same people who made the Pathfinder games.

Unfortunately Rogue Traders have never been an appealing part of the 40k lore for me but it's cool its on steam

Last edited: