Serious The Downfall of WW3RP: From the perspective of one of the common folk

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
not sure how active this thread is now a few days in but I like to share my perspective (a little) :)

never played the old iterations so I missed out on the bullshit and fun. I played Stasiland: as others said, a really cool concept and a good alternative to HL2RP. But with HL2RP going as strong as ever at that time, we couldn't literally do CityRP, and beside most people signed up for the WW3RP in its name, not sitting in a shop. Although I will say, had the civilian faction been slightly more than just a passage to becoming an insurgent, I think we would've done well. Long term? No idea.

The last iteration was fun for me because I was able to live out my civilian and agent fantasies all in one, it was tons of fun to build up a civilian militia and all. Could've gone even better if we could've gone more crazy and actually use our little paramilitary and the equipment we stole (1 morbillion HMGs) but I was a bit too careful in my eyes

Overall, I don't think WW3RP should come back, maybe it's because I'm done with Gmod (i pray) but to be honest it's just gotten to a point where every WW3RP iteration just had drama and conflict and I don't think that should be continued. There was one instance of the style that I liked, I think Powley worked on it iirc with HL2 Warzone, that was a really fun server because the roleplay was practically optional, but still was available enough to those who wanted it. I somehow was able to gain Corporal and became the resistance medic, shit was cash because it didn't feel forced, it was all just good vibes with the team

Reactions: List

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Was alright during my time on it, but eh

A mix of constant location changes (meaning consistent RP and worldbuilding felt near non-existent), very boring combat (no one likes being onetapped by the little shit who got more money than you and is using an SKS to slaughter anyone with a ping higher than 6), and poor facilitation for really any RP outside of the respective HQs made the experience generally very dull.

As both an NCO and an Admin there was little incentive to keep up with anything. Maps and combat were the same old shit over and over, very little actual progression, and it was a constant warzone that lacked the sort of beauty that some of the older (read: pre-stasiland) iterations had on their maps. i miss the constant fog and poor general visibility you had on some maps because it added to that "you're a soldier dropped into no man's land, be stealthy and try to do this operation" to things. patrols made sense; defending the base made sense. but there was no clear, defined story in what to do, so there was nothing really interesting going on.

not to mention, although he did a good job, @Roosebud did the thing he's done the past couple when iterations start tanking a bit and he dipped completely, practically without warning to anyone in the staff team. It was just, server has low population, poor morale, people aren't liking the map choices, poof he's gone. To give credit he tried across 2 iterations to help bring it back up to speed but dipping when they started to look not so good just sort of overshadows that work.

If it were to happen again, which is very unlikely, it'd either have to be episodic or there'd have to be a skip in lore to create an environment that players would actually enjoy, rather than "The Coals have actually taken over 90% of the planet because they won most of the conflicts (due to having competent shooters in their ranks compared to NATO) so enjoy perpetual russian territorty". Maybe a third power enters and causes trouble, maybe NATO develops a superweapon/experimental combat equipment and starts to get an upper hand, when Coals also get ahold of their own variant of the tech and thus balance it out; fuck it, bionic/robot soldiers could make for a fun concept to play, all Titanfall-esque too.

What I'm saying is, the gameplay was boring and there was poor story direction. More focus on RP and on making good lore is what actually keeps the server running alive and well; give reasons for people to go on expeditions and missions out in the field, literally make a checklist of things that the respective armies need to do in order to reach the given goal of that particular map (maybe start up a nuclear reactor, or some sort of factory, etc. etc.)

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

A mix of constant location changes (meaning consistent RP and worldbuilding felt near non-existent), very boring combat (no one likes being onetapped by the little shit who got more money than you and is using an SKS to slaughter anyone with a ping higher than 6), and poor facilitation for really any RP outside of the respective HQs made the experience generally very dull.

As both an NCO and an Admin there was little incentive to keep up with anything. Maps and combat were the same old shit over and over, very little actual progression, and it was a constant warzone that lacked the sort of beauty that some of the older (read: pre-stasiland) iterations had on their maps. i miss the constant fog and poor general visibility you had on some maps because it added to that "you're a soldier dropped into no man's land, be stealthy and try to do this operation" to things. patrols made sense; defending the base made sense. but there was no clear, defined story in what to do, so there was nothing really interesting going on.

not to mention, although he did a good job, @Roosebud did the thing he's done the past couple when iterations start tanking a bit and he dipped completely, practically without warning to anyone in the staff team. It was just, server has low population, poor morale, people aren't liking the map choices, poof he's gone. To give credit he tried across 2 iterations to help bring it back up to speed but dipping when they started to look not so good just sort of overshadows that work.

If it were to happen again, which is very unlikely, it'd either have to be episodic or there'd have to be a skip in lore to create an environment that players would actually enjoy, rather than "The Coals have actually taken over 90% of the planet because they won most of the conflicts (due to having competent shooters in their ranks compared to NATO) so enjoy perpetual russian territorty". Maybe a third power enters and causes trouble, maybe NATO develops a superweapon/experimental combat equipment and starts to get an upper hand, when Coals also get ahold of their own variant of the tech and thus balance it out; fuck it, bionic/robot soldiers could make for a fun concept to play, all Titanfall-esque too.

What I'm saying is, the gameplay was boring and there was poor story direction. More focus on RP and on making good lore is what actually keeps the server running alive and well; give reasons for people to go on expeditions and missions out in the field, literally make a checklist of things that the respective armies need to do in order to reach the given goal of that particular map (maybe start up a nuclear reactor, or some sort of factory, etc. etc.)

remove the pvp aspect, make everyone play either NATO/Coals, turn it into a coop server

now you can have sick shootouts without one side getting pissed

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
remove the pvp aspect, make everyone play either NATO/Coals, turn it into a coop server

now you can have sick shootouts without one side getting pissed
Genuinely good idea

Had a moment thinking "you could have the main pvp enemies just be robot soldiers" but that becomes terminatorRP which I know my man @Subeh would be a big fan of

Could have it be like an AM situation where both NATO and the Coals create supercomputer AIs to help them win the war, and the AIs band together into one Super AI that hates humanity, thus the war is now Humans vs. Skynet effectively

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
It's been tried on another community, it sucks balls and dies faster than the usual WW3 meta
the community makes the difference

neb/lp has a pre-established lore, one that can be adapted upon and has been over several years. makes it all the more possible to shift it to a story that works, so long as more care and attention is put in on the story aspect

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
very boring combat (no one likes being onetapped by the little shit who got more money than you and is using an SKS to slaughter anyone with a ping higher than 6)
Combat was way too easy in the sense that the guns all did extreme damage, were lasers, and the time to kill was so instant.

There were no injury states which made it less immersive... you died and respawned.

In older versions there was different degrees of being injured which ultimately meant you could survive more battles even if you got got knocked out by a one-tap because it wouldn't necessarily kill you, just leave you at low HP and a ragdoll.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Combat was way too easy in the sense that the guns all did extreme damage, were lasers, and the time to kill was so instant.

There were no injury states which made it less immersive... you died and respawned.

In older versions there was different degrees of being injured which ultimately meant you could survive more battles even if you got got knocked out by a one-tap because it wouldn't necessarily kill you, just leave you at low HP and a ragdoll.
See I don't really get why that medRP was taken out with the newer iterations. In HL2RP I can understand wanting to limit medRP but in WW3RP it's something you will absolutely face, frequently. Having big PvP battles just gets really boring when you have no operations in between where MedRP is important

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

I dont roosebud is going to run anything on neb again after that last ww3rp server

Kleis

Electron
Nebulae

Yeah sad medrp was thrown out the window. I think it gave some more gravitas to fighting, instead of just going full rambo because hey you're free of charge. A lot of interaction was available there too, I mean when I played on older servers I enjoyed it a lot, specially as a life long medic lol, maybe some people don't like it but ultimately I find it necessary

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Yeah sad medrp was thrown out the window. I think it gave some more gravitas to fighting, instead of just going full rambo because hey you're free of charge. A lot of interaction was available there too, I mean when I played on older servers I enjoyed it a lot, specially as a life long medic lol, maybe some people don't like it but ultimately I find it necessary
medic rp mostly just got in the way and mostly was the same-same performed by people who genuinely had no idea what they were doing, or were "too good" because they googled how to treat something perfectly

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
medic rp mostly just got in the way and mostly was the same-same performed by people who genuinely had no idea what they were doing, or were "too good" because they googled how to treat something perfectly
the fine line between “this would literally kill me if it was done irl” and “what the fuck do these words mean”

Kleis

Electron
Nebulae
Yeah I guess there was a lot of extremes sadly. Maybe generally avoiding it is nice but I think stuff like incaps should have remained for example, or at least basic first aid. It felt really empty last time around in my opinion.

heaveN

bomber rat
Nebulae

pretty sure nothing really new is being discussed here that hasn’t already been in concept or tried in other settings and it always ends up with people wanting to win or pvp since shooting bots and actors becomes boring as fuck and staff run out of new events after a week of people yelling ‘okay we finished this event give us another’ with nothing combat to do in between.

Also if ykyk when it comes to roosebud disappearing

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Yeah I guess there was a lot of extremes sadly. Maybe generally avoiding it is nice but I think stuff like incaps should have remained for example, or at least basic first aid. It felt really empty last time around in my opinion.
just lead to most people doing lackluster /mes (that nobody read anyways) or recycling old /mes
the fine line between “this would literally kill me if it was done irl” and “what the fuck do these words mean”
i deliberately RP'd dying on multiple occasions because medics tried doing stuff that legitimately would kill people in real life

Kleis

Electron
Nebulae
just lead to most people doing lackluster /mes (that nobody read anyways) or recycling old /mes
True, yeah. I still enjoyed some of that but that's just me, so it's not really valid. I see the issue, I mean I saw it too across the iterations. Specially the stupid /me's that would legitimateley kill people xD

It's definitely something, but again I think I'd keep the incaps and some of the more critical states, or get rid of those without the rp aspect. Just made combat feel a bit riskier, rather than go, run, shoot, die, come back.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
True, yeah. I still enjoyed some of that but that's just me, so it's not really valid. I see the issue, I mean I saw it too across the iterations. Specially the stupid /me's that would legitimateley kill people xD

It's definitely something, but again I think I'd keep the incaps and some of the more critical states, or get rid of those without the rp aspect. Just made combat feel a bit riskier, rather than go, run, shoot, die, come back.
to this day i will continue dying on the operating table if it means these schmucks get dicked down by the weenie