HL2RP 'The new metro map is terrible' Thread| Agree/Disagree , and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
i thought the map transition and start was cool but not enjoying it that much. dont think the map is bad, just dont think its that fun to play and its a bitch to navigate (sorry i havent sat down and made a pen and paper map guys)

have no idea how long we're gonna be on it but think it would've worked better as a weekend tug of war type thing with the rebels/combine being pushed out and onto the next map

i agree with most of what @RedMan has said

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
the map isn't very fun but ig its atmospheric lol

idc tho if i dont like something i just dont play

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
Not sure why you need him to give you a signed list of players for you to take his view and consider his argument. He's probably talked to people, or probably has not. He just gave his opinion on the map and asked others for theirs.
im not asking for a signed list of players im just asking who these people are; are they new players, are they old players, whatever

its one thing to say 'im not the only one with this opinion' and its a whole other to actually state - even roughly - who these people are

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
I don't enjoy the map that much as a HL2rp enviroment with very little people inside. The map is enormous, but that doesn't mean it's good because of it. The map looks like it was designed to hold atleast 500-1000+ players to even populate half the map and it's outposts.

If you were to be exploring the other outposts than the central resistance and combine one, they're empty and mostly barren from any players. The map is just too big.

And I find the atmosphere a bit dull to be honest, sure it's dark and creepy. But it doesn't astonish me compared to other maps we've played. If we were to play a metro map, I would recommend the refuge metro map myself.

Reactions: List

Provingmedusa

Scourge of Antlions
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I like this map so far. I love how dark it is and the tunnels are a new environment to explore and experience rather than a surface-side city with a bunch of fog.

This map has a lot of horror potential but I don't see it used a lot. There's been a large lack of any zombies or even Antlions.

I like it :)

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I shouldn't have to make a map, but your argument is irrelevant as I stopped playing because I'm bored of the nonsensical map switches and lore decisions, I get the teams going for ambiguity but I, personally felt a disconnect despite whichever side I was on, nothing made sense to me. That's not to say it's a bad thing it's just not my cup of tea unfortunately. I respect the team for working their hardest but it had me lost for a time and still am slight even after ARKS lore catchup thread
@PilotBland they are trying to take your job away from you

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
metro maps are pretty decent when you have 2 clear sides and nobody playing on the inbetween, but kinda turn to shit when you have to work in more than 2 groups of people

ya'll would never survive the clockwork d47 drought oh my god

and in helix we were literally on i17 for like a year bro

this will prob be a month AT MOST and ya'll are dogging about it
a month on a metro map is all it takes. by the time ww3rp hit the end of the last iterations metro, it had a fraction of the people that were playing before. its a novelty that dies really fast with a lot of people

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
ya'll would never survive the clockwork d47 drought oh my god

and in helix we were literally on i17 for like a year bro

this will prob be a month AT MOST and ya'll are dogging about it
valid criticism =/= complaining

being realistic i think like 90% of this iterations feedback/discussion has been way more tame than any of the shitflinging and bitching on clockwork or previous iterations (aside from the usual people), dont get too annoyed lol

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
if the server permanently dies in a month due to a bad map choice then I think we've got bigger issues than the map itself

i let asheville stay on for a month and it was poorly set up & linear as fuck, yet we're still pretty alive after swapping lmao

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Who? Sorry were not all niche and ambiguous like yourself Dallas. Best to revise your material and give up the career of wannabe comedian

Considering the reference, I am safe to say Paul Gachet is a very fatalistic person. Didn't take me much to guess it.

I think that if the staff wants the players to be satisfied with a map, they should create maps based on the interests of the players or at least edit a map to be suitable for the server.

I think players should try at least once to compile, edit and recompile a map in hammer editor so they don't ever try and suggest something like this.

Still, we've done in the past - And we've done it now, Gary has made edits to maps where necessary, but nothing major. There were extensive edits and map developments in the past because we remained in maps for months, not 3 weeks tops like we do now.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I think players should try at least once to compile, edit and recompile a map in hammer editor so they don't ever try and suggest something like this.
Don't forget decompiling, then fixing the entire map first before those steps.

A good chunk of maps have not had their .vmf's released.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
I'm here for the experimental map phase.
enjoying the map variation chaos before we find what works best and don't deviate much from it

been interesting seeing what we've had so far

Prison map with a giant hostile wasteland
Open-ended apocalypse map with low visibility
City/countryside map split by bridge chokepoints
and now a dark, fully underground labyrinth

I think that if the staff wants the players to be satisfied with a map, they should create maps based on the interests of the players or at least edit a map to be suitable for the server.
it can feel like the ideal, but the time commitment for a custom map or an edit is quite a lot,
although I'm not sure this approach would massively be useful quite yet as the server dynamic is still in a bit of a discovery phase, we've got ideas of what can work and what can struggle, but I wouldn't say we've got a clear idea on what that is yet. one for the future I'd reckon.

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
I'm here for the experimental map phase.
enjoying the map variation chaos before we find what works best and don't deviate much from it

been interesting seeing what we've had so far

Prison map with a giant hostile wasteland
Open-ended apocalypse map with low visibility
City/countryside map split by bridge chokepoints
and now a dark, fully underground labyrinth

it can feel like the ideal, but the time commitment for a custom map or an edit is quite a lot,
although I'm not sure this approach would massively be useful quite yet as the server dynamic is still in a bit of a discovery phase, we've got ideas of what can work and what can struggle, but I wouldn't say we've got a clear idea on what that is yet. one for the future I'd reckon.
i like variety, the "one ideal map" doesn't exist

Status
Not open for further replies.