Serious The Steam Deck - WTF where did this come from and what is it?!?!

Deleted member 5501

The Civil Authority Grindset
B A N N E D
Nebulae
The Steam Deck - WTF where did this come from and what is it?!?!

RESERVE YOURS NOW!

This dropped today, didn't hear anything previous or hear anything regarding this so forgive my confusion, am I the only one? I hadn't a clue this was even being worked on.

At first glance this appears to be Valves shot at competing with the likes of Nintendo and other handheld devices.

This came out of the left field....

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I wonder if the fact you get your steam library means you'd be able to access games you launch via steam but aren't native.

Ie; Mmod.

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
wew.PNG

specs are damn good for the price point at £350-500 depending on storage revision in the current market climate
id consider making a reservation myself but im skint atm and im kinda hoping of getting a PC for vidya gaming sooner rather than later as well as upgradability
Valve is using a heavily updated SteamOS whichll heavily favour its lower specs as well as longevity of the machines hardware but its more than likely theyll allow you to install Windows 10 on it, probably not Windows 11 as i dont blame them if they skimped on a TMP module
after their past failures of Steam Machine, SteamOS and Steam Controller this actually seems like the perfect blend of all 3 that might actually make a damn good device

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
fuck it, ive found a spare fiver and portable gaming seems to tempt me infinitely as my PSP and PS Vita will show
im gonna reserve the £570 model tomorrow
no ragrets

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
I only use my steamlink + steam controller for movie streaming to my tv nowadays, such a disappointment. Hopefully this’ll turn out better and not feel as clunky.

Johnny B. Goode

Objectively Best MGS poster
Nebulae
navigating your library on it actually looks smoother than navigating it on pc steam LOL

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Can't wait to play Total war Warhammer 2/3 and use it as an incendiary grenade

Alyx Vance

CEO of Apple
Nebulae
YOU KNOW YOU GUYS CAN JUST USE STEAM LINK APP ITS FREE, YOU CAN PLAY GMOD IF DESKTOP IS ON EVEN WHILE OUTSIDE

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
YOU KNOW YOU GUYS CAN JUST USE STEAM LINK APP ITS FREE, YOU CAN PLAY GMOD IF DESKTOP IS ON EVEN WHILE OUTSIDE
yeah but my pc is a 2014 craptop running a dual core with Intel HD 3000 that can barely run TF2 at 720p low with 30 fps and significant drops
wanted to sort a new PC for a while and this drops right on my doorstep around the time im planning on sorting it, means itll be a little further away before i get it than i hoped but i can wait for now, plus im just a sucker for the whole portable console thing

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

Does the steam link work if you want to connect it to a TV like in my living room or do I have to buy another hardware

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
Steam Link
Steam Controller
Steam Machines
All of those contraptions were more or less a failure (as in, none of them got to mainstream), I'm curious to see how this one is gonna go but I have little hope

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
1626456325894.png

Steam is shitting itself but i've made it by some chance of miracle
whoever else is getting one, good luck to you

Last edited:

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
1626456325894.png

Steam is shitting itself but i've made it by some chance of miracle
whoever else is getting one, good luck to you
You weren't kidding; it took literally 5 minutes for the transaction to register.