Serious [Unofficial Feedback Thread] Trouble in Shanty Town

Maytree

Black Hole
Nebulae
Heyo. I would like to create a thread here for everyone's interest.

Basically what happened, Shanty Town has been captured by the Combine and the signal tower is not activated. All of their factories are activated and the rebels are now in the starting phase of getting fucked.

Some of the people, atleast IC and OOC, are getting mixed feelings how things are turning out. Some people think it's the fault of the rebels, others accuse the staff for being Combine Bias.

I'll post my personal thoughts on the personal matter soon and share my prospective.
Pls keep it civil.

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
im not a fan of how it was taken

generally dying, losing my scripts, getting jumped; that i dont care about, thats fine. im just personally of the mindset that, in the context of an EVENT, 2016 sweep style bumrushes arent very tasteful and i think if one side wants to assault the other then it needs to be done tastefully with an actual /event announcing that the attack is occurring and then make it an actual cinematic battle, not, as i said, 2016 sweep style bumrush

i also didnt like the function of the NLR timer. the NLR timer lasted longer than the rebels had to retake it, so we effectively had 1 life. it should've been shorter, so rebels couldve actually mounted a feasible counterattack

nobody really cared about losing scripts or dying in general, it was more that we lost the event thanks to a 2016 sweep style attack

Reactions: List

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
The reality is that the reason the Union came out on top was because rebels were divided on whether or not to station all the troops at the shanty-town or the cave.

Part and parcel of internal divsion, well-played Combine.

I don't like NLR on events though.

Also, given the commonality of death, perhaps, for the sake of quality of life, allow for armor to restore upon respawn, considering you're already losing your gun and ammo. The fact that armor scraps don't even work at the moment make it all the more worse. I don't mind it going both ways.

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
The reality is that the reason the Union came out on top was because rebels were divided on whether or not to station all the troops at the shanty-town or the cave.

Part and parcel of internal divsion, well-played Combine.

I don't like NLR on events though.
a lot of the 1st ran out of ammo lmao

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae

generally dying, losing my scripts, getting jumped; that i dont care about, thats fine. im just personally of the mindset that, in the context of an EVENT, 2016 sweep style bumrushes arent very tasteful and i think if one side wants to assault the other then it needs to be done tastefully with an actual /event announcing that the attack is occurring and then make it an actual cinematic battle, not, as i said, 2016 sweep style bumrush

i also didnt like the function of the NLR timer. the NLR timer lasted longer than the rebels had to retake it, so we effectively had 1 life. it should've been shorter, so rebels couldve actually mounted a feasible counterattack

nobody really cared about losing scripts or dying in general, it was more that we lost the event thanks to a 2016 sweep style attack
also just to be clear; i mean this on both sides. rebels shouldnt bumrush combine in the context of an event either.

Ron

Developer
Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae

I was the RL leading it from the combine side, and we opted to take 8 units and 2 scanners (max we can take within the rules, we could've taken 10 units instead of the 2 scanners). We did "sneak up" through the river and someone did spot a scanner before we actually made entry, but I will say that there was little notice for the rebels inside.

I believe this to be a byproduct of a lack of security outside a rebel place that has known combine infrastructure inside. We were able to approach practically unnoticed.

I can also say that, from my rebel char, we knew the combine were doing something today from the datashard we captured yesterday, so rebels should have distributed that information and informed people to be on alert.

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
I was the RL leading it from the combine side, and we opted to take 8 units and 2 scanners (max we can take within the rules, we could've taken 10 units instead of the 2 scanners). We did "sneak up" through the river and someone did spot a scanner before we actually made entry, but I will say that there was little notice for the rebels inside.

I believe this to be a byproduct of a lack of security outside a rebel place that has known combine infrastructure inside. We were able to approach practically unnoticed.

I can also say that, from my rebel char, we knew the combine were doing something today from the datashard we captured yesterday, so rebels should have distributed that information and informed people to be on alert.
oh don't get me wrong, you're totally right. the unfortunate side of that, however, is that if rebels start heeding the mentality of "we could be attacked at any moment" then we arent going to rp, we're going to sit there and ready ourselves for s2k

i just think that, in the context of an event, it should be announced thing so both sides can get enjoyment out of it. by and large, most of the rebels didnt enjoy that whatsoever.

if it wasnt an event then i wouldnt have even cared and i doubt anybody else wouldve either

Ron

Developer
Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
oh don't get me wrong, you're totally right. the unfortunate side of that, however, is that if rebels start heeding the mentality of "we could be attacked at any moment" then we arent going to rp, we're going to sit there and ready ourselves for s2k

i just think that, in the context of an event, it should be announced thing so both sides can get enjoyment out of it. by and large, most of the rebels didnt enjoy that whatsoever.

if it wasnt an event then i wouldnt have even cared and i doubt anybody else wouldve either
I agree, but, I have a rebel char that 100% knew something was happening today from the datashard we captured so I don't think rebels need to have the mentality of "we could be attacked at any moment" but more of "we need to share information and organize better when we have it".

PepicWalrus

Electron
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Just to be clear both sides pushed on their own accord without (at least my ) input as event oversight, I gave the clear for both sides to begin when they wanted too. I was on Gonarch helping @boots and the Combine where already on the fort before I even noticed a protection team had pushed. Rebels who where guarding got swiftly over taken. The Combine then requested to begin the transmission and that's when the /events began. There was a then IC ten minute transmission time to be held, which worked out to be more like an OOCly 15 to 20 minutes.

I agree about the NLR, I'd of reduced it to 5 minutes given the foresight and will be taking that into mind. Apologies for any annoyances, feedback is welcome to be taken into consideration for later events. Hopefully despite the frustration the loss can spawn some interesting situations for how future missions will be handled, there are still plenty of active targets on the map. More now, actually to plan around.

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
that's already how it looks for cops anywhere outside of the main base (since the last attack on that was day 1)
it shouldnt be the case for cops either. if either side is assaulting something for the sake of progressing an EVENT, then it shouldnt be done that way. its not that fun for the defending side.

outside of an event, though, thats different

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
I agree, but, I have a rebel char that 100% knew something was happening today from the datashard we captured so I don't think rebels need to have the mentality of "we could be attacked at any moment" but more of "we need to share information and organize better when we have it".
i 100% agree that rebels fucked up, we left ourselves wide open for attack and we paid the price for it

like ive been saying, its just the manner in which it was done that im not fussed on and i think most ppl on the rebel side would agree

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
Me wishing nebulous could operate on s2rp
god i fucking wish

holy lord jesus above this place would be like heaven for me if s2rp was our main combat system i adore s2rp with a passion, or even if it was used interchangeably even

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
I did enjoy my own experience, attempting to deal with some injured before the counter attack made us abandon positions.
had some light fun sneaking back around shortly after, trying to find survivors to no avail, lot of dead folk. evading detection was the cool part there.

was a bit sad the vehicle crash was right outside the combine base though, had encountered the driver in RP shortly prior and really wanted to try and rescue or at least recover his body, left my research notes with him! Although I'm smarter than to walk up to that perimeter. rip zulu, true lad.

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
Also, NLR respawn waves are really bad because:
A. theyre kinda gamey
B. combine will usually always send a stronger reinforcement than rebels

theyre only rly good if one side is severely undermanned than the other imo

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
Could the execution have been better? Maybe. But all in all I’m inclined to give this entire affair full marks for the simple fact that, as it’s been noted, the outcome was decided largely by a lack of cooperation between resistance cells. It did an excellent job of illustrating why the organized and decisive nature of the Combine isn’t something to be underestimated or handled with pussyfeet like it was back in the CityRP days.

But it also paints an important picture for the resistance, I think, and served as a very practical reminder of the fact that survival relies, to some extent, on adaptability and communication. It relies on people pulling their heads out of their asses and actually talking instead of just shutting themselves off and staying insular in their own little boxes. I say this not as an indictment of anybody OOC, don’t take it personally, but rather as an opportunity for some real character and motive growth from an IC perspective for the resistance.

And that’s a good thing. People will take hits, take losses, and need to buck up and learn to adapt to them. On both sides, make no mistake, but this event just happened to conveniently place the resistance in the spotlight for that lesson.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think the execution was perfect on all fronts. But nothing is ever going to be. And overall I think this was a net positive, assuming the resistance takes the ball in their court and actually does something with it instead of refusing to adapt.

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
Also, NLR respawn waves are really bad because:
A. theyre kinda gamey
B. combine will usually always send a stronger reinforcement than rebels

theyre only rly good if one side is severely undermanned than the other imo
Aye. This is a concern I had during, as well. I didn’t see so much of this on the ground myself, but I can see where it might become less than desirable in practice. Maybe tinker with the NLR timers relative to each side, kind of how TF2’s respawn timers are adjusted according to who’s attacking or defending.