What's so appealing about Roleplay

D

Deleted member 603

I've been wondering what does everyone find appealing about Roleplay wether it be HL2RP or Roleplaying in games like fallout, I'm just curious to find out

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
because you can pretend to be someone you will never be

Reactions: List

Satirical

Electron
Nebulae
Here I come with the serious answer :^)!

To me role-play is invigorating. It's not invigorating for the reason stated above (i.e you can gender bend, change weight, etc), but rather because you get to unplug from your world and become lost in the character of a different human. It's a very powerful feeling. The idea that you can dictate someone else's life; their backstory, their actions, their convictions -- and in doing so, you lose grasp of your cares; your qualms, your anguish, your anxieties. It's a calming thing. Though role-play does get a bit more erratic, role-play tends to be relaxed and a time for nirvana. Personally, I use it as a means of therapy. I become glued to the immersion of unveiling the life of a character I created. Most of my characters taken after the Victorian Era style of speaking and likewise with their names, but their stories are different.

You see, each character I make represents a piece of whom I am. These 'throwaways'? I don't do that stuff. My characters will mostly, if not always, represent myself in some form. Their personalities and their bodies; be it a time I'd lived, a personality trait of mine, or something else. They will replicate and embody anything I want from my past, present, or something I hope upon myself in the future. This is what I love, most of all, about role-play, is the ability to use literary devices to convey ourselves and project an image of a totally different human to others. It helps us open up and helps us to communicate. This is also why I love theatre, it's an astonishing thing to experience on our computers let alone live on a stage before an audience of 400 people.

patty

Proton
Nebulae
you can do stuff that'll probably never happen or you can't achieve in life

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
I find the characters we create and interact with each other in our own intricate ways exciting.

The cultures we create (Rebel Culture, MPF Culture), the memes, the relationships that end up in blazes of glory or anti-climatic !BOOM HEADSHOT! death, and the groups we create is pretty cool to me.

In a summary, its an escape from our real, more uninteresting world into a interesting world where we dictate the terms.

Koch

Time to dance
Nebulae
Like most people have stated previously, it lets you sort of explore paths you are unable to take in real life. I'm not able to join the military in real life, so I joined a gaming community that lets me explore that path in a game. It's not as serious roleplay as it is here, but we believe in immersion.

For Garry's Mod, it was that I found the Half-Life universe enticing and even exciting, so much that I decided to try roleplay out. It stuck with me for close to a decade before I quit, but I don't regret a single moment. Just having the opportunity to explore paths you are unable to in real life, be it for medical, anxiety or other issues - is a good thing. It's an outlet.

That's about it, but I pretty much just repeated what everyone above me said, so I didn't contribute too much.

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
because i ask myself life's deepest questions;

'dude, what if i was someone in fallout'
'dude, what if i was someone in half-life 2'
'dude, what if i was someone in the zombie apocalypse'
'dude, what if i was someone in ww2'

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
For HL2 specifically?

I love the design, I love how fucking bleak it is and what comes from that.

jb

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
because I can erp the good sex which is what i'll never get in real life :new_moon_with_face:

mattehb

Proton
Nebulae
i started as a little lad in 2009, and the rp took me under ever since.

it's all i know now, how's a guy like me going to make it on the outside?