Zig's Map Development Thread

Lapis

Extreme Turbonerd
Nebulae
don't pull a blade runner/every fucking dystopia movie and have bright lights everywhere; keep it minimal and spaced out.

anyway, zigbomb - put some proper tunnels through the place; even if they go through the shell buildings.
Well obviously yeah. But from what I can discern the watchtowers are spread out enough that the lights will have a nice effect if they're brighter than others.
[doublepost=1509359876][/doublepost]Another thing I'd like to see for a map like this is large warehouse/factory spaces; with some machinery that could be used to work on, heat presses, vacuum sealers for rations, furnaces for ((stuff))

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Well obviously yeah. But from what I can discern the watchtowers are spread out enough that the lights will have a nice effect if they're brighter than others.
[doublepost=1509359876][/doublepost]Another thing I'd like to see for a map like this is large warehouse/factory spaces; with some machinery that could be used to work on, heat presses, vacuum sealers for rations, furnaces for ((stuff))
The warehouses and what not are probably going to be the most present in this district.

Duke of Wellington

32nd Wheelie Bin Regiment
Nebulae
After some great suggestions by @Lapis @Gentlemanly Headcrab and @Wibble as well as the several people who agreed with their posts, I sat down and began working on an industrial sector of my map. The current art direction of the map is varied, and this is not going to be the entire map, however it is going to be the industrial. The main district of the map will still be as cramped and vertical, however. Yes, the map is going to be pretty dark. I'm still looking for a pretty skybox texture.

Pictures:
mVwNevL.jpg

7kA1aNR.jpg

T6rYOCm.jpg

ROsU7Lf.jpg

7C9l2yV.jpg
[doublepost=1509317985][/doublepost]The streets are pretty thin, as you can tell.
Thats some good shit!

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I wonder how big this map is gonna be.
With the condensed streets and how much people complained about the over sizing of City 24 and it's unused areas, hopefully constructively large in a sense where it looks big but feels about medium. The goal is to make people form together and interact with each other.

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Working on extending and completion of the transition between industrial and primary district. The turn you see there is the beginning of said transition. Next compile I'm gonna do is going to add far more orange lights.

OrVFKnf.jpg

4xqXFPF.jpg

7cgQPDM.jpg

09trXaW.jpg

Reactions: List

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Just some more video showing some things.
I've expanded the area and I'm beginning prep for a district transition. Lighting is still a big WIP.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Just some more video showing some things.
I've expanded the area and I'm beginning prep for a district transition. Lighting is still a big WIP.

This video contains content from EMPIRE, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Quite aware this area is getting boring to look at, so I'm going to be moving onto some new areas deep within this district soon- then hopefully when everything is wrapped up here I can begin working on the plaza.
kye8Lew.jpg

L1xmlnZ.jpg

[doublepost=1509491197][/doublepost]
This video contains content from EMPIRE, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Just look at the screenshots and that basically sums up what I added

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Began work on that passage on the little road there after I began streaming some mapping. Had a couple people watching and talking to each other, was good fun.
h5fFc5L.jpg

Back exit to a factory in that passage area.
WUDkakE.jpg

Began working on transition into the more urban/city areas.
gpLcBuq.jpg

Very work in progress laundry place.
RdLsB6h.jpg

And if you look closely...
zh2fH8R.jpg

Shadow Flex

Nucleus
Nebulae
I'm just dropping by to say that your lighting is way too dark, on all of your screenshots. If you don't brighten it up you run the risk of repelling the players and even annoying them. Just a word of advice.

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I'm just dropping by to say that your lighting is way too dark, on all of your screenshots. If you don't brighten it up you run the risk of repelling the players and even annoying them. Just a word of advice.
Thanks for dropping by. The lighting isn't even close to being finished and I don't know why you didn't assume it wasn't.

Shadow Flex

Nucleus
Nebulae
Thanks for dropping by. The lighting isn't even close to being finished and I don't know why you didn't assume it wasn't.
I did, but you'd be surprised by how many people don't consider the fact that brightness is of vital importance. There are some that do, but have a poor sense of visual direction w/ lighting.

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I did, but you'd be surprised by how many people don't consider the fact that brightness is of vital importance. There are some that do, but have a poor sense of visual direction w/ lighting.
Well, thanks for the advice, however I'm fully aware of the player related issues with severely dark lighting including the balancing between environmental lighting and player-based lighting. I highly emphasized that it was still a work on progress -mentioning several times that I was still tweaking it.
[doublepost=1509796914][/doublepost]
Might be just me but the door feels slight off, you might want to change the texture to something a bit more 'grittier' like skin7.
Perhaps.

Shadow Flex

Nucleus
Nebulae
Well, thanks for the advice, however I'm fully aware of the player related issues with severely dark lighting including the balancing between environmental lighting and player-based lighting. I highly emphasized that it was still a work on progress -mentioning several times that I was still tweaking it.
By too dark I didn't mean that it wasn't visually polished. Rather, that it's so dark your brushwork and texturing is becoming hard to see. If you're going to present work in progress, you might as well at least make it visible.