Serious 'Zulu' Lambda Caches - Feedback Thread

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
tnaoE7j.png

Lambda Supplies - Zulu​

Reaching out to the players to see what their general thoughts are on the Zulu crates. If you like them or not, mainly trying to gather feedback on people's opinion on them as well as any other feedback including ways you think they could be improved, what you like about them and where it could be better, items you would like to see and things that you are looking for but are often lacking.

I'm interested in hearing how both sides feel about them, no matter if you play CP or Resistance.

How are the locations, are they easy enough to find or perhaps too easy?
The quantity, are there enough crates or too many?
The frequency at which they go out. We are are releasing a batch of 20-30 per day, often going out at different times to accomodate for players in different timezones.
How many Zulu crates have you opened on average? Do you interact with them every day? Are you actively seeking them out or do you find them by chance?
Do they feel fair? Is it a fun mechanic to engage in?

I'm open to all suggestions and always looking for ways to improve the player experience.
@Gary is also working on a way to make them better. We'd love your opinion.

J68qJxg.png

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
I thought Zulu died back in the wastelands.
Could've swore I saw him flip his jeep into the combine outpost by accident.

Sometimes too easy I think, I jump in after work and by then most are gone, the one I did find that was not looted had been in a pretty cheeky spot outside the combine walls, may be the only reason I got it

Feel like there's a crate marker every other location, given most are already looted when I come on, it means I still have a shot.

The frequency at which they go out. We are are releasing a batch of 20-30 per day, often going out at different times to accomodate for players in different timezones.
not gonna lie with what I found in the two I've seen that feels like a crazy number of crates for what they contained, are rebels that bad at s2k and resource management? I kid of course lmao.
It was something I had been wondering though if they were dropped periodically or at once, good to know it's not just one big dump of crates at once.

How many Zulu crates have you opened on average? Do you interact with them every day? Are you actively seeking them out or do you find them by chance?
I think I come across one every couple weeks, I have a wander around the map every other day for a mix of scavenging and researcher roleplay. It's been exciting when I finally come across one though.

I don't exactly find them massively fun on their own, but the hunt is enjoyable. I do think you could take a few features from 'Driver shipments' as well though, mainly in how not every crate has immediately useful items to the casual player, but if you want you could have handed the shipment contents over to Driver in exchange for more immediately useful items.

Potentially look at some greater interaction or mechanics with the zulu crates, just so there's a bit more going on than just locating and getting to them, or make getting hold of found crates a bit harder (Prop build challenges, NPCs, special locks, ect).

Maybe even just something as simple as switching up the container used or playing more with their concealment to mix up finding them some more, doesn't need to be on the level of 'loose brick in wall' but I think there's some things you can do to make it a bit cooler overall.

-

I do like talking to the lambda couriers though, does Zulu still appear in-game dropping things off?

Reactions: List
Nebulae
lovely mechanic af

sometimes the markers being everywhere is quite an overwhelmer,
maybe crates without markers, forcing exploration and thinking outside the box is good too to encounter
(i noticed that there were some of these, and THESE were the loveliest to encounter)

i often find myself going hl2 single player mode,
where I look for them crates in spots that will require parkour,
or maybe someone to boost you
or rp bringing a ladder

they end up being in a place so simple i realize i over complicated :)

maybe tougher spots would be cooler,
spots requiring parkour, or a booster friend, somewhere where man doesnt look up,
maybe underwater

makes it intriguing to plunder, like them hl2 crates that lambda in campaign always sticks up where freeman would never reach it LOGICALLY, but gameplay wise
its fun puzzle or easter egg spot

yknow, in escape from tarkov
the dev said there are stashes that have never been once found yet ingame

imagine if a crate remains hidden so well, someone finds it dusty, and sitting there for ages...

at the moment, crates is kinda like a race. (when pop is good and full)
some hoard, some donate, all their own liking
but if it becomes a more PUZZLE type of experience

i bet the race will change to a proper scavenging, rather than sweeping around on sight every box,
cuz, who can blame em?
its calling them, whispering to them, a box plain in the open, no challenge, come and take me

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
Zulu crates are fine as they are, only bummer bit is that every time you find one you gotta do a /help to open it.

I think there should be a mechanic where if you have a suitable weapon like a sledgehammer or an axe, you can smack the crate with it a few times to open it yourself so you don't have to do a /help and wait twenty minutes every time you want to open a crate

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
Out of curiosity, do you let CP patrols open/ destroy the crates if they find them?
Yes.
They are allowed to loot just as much as rebels.

OTA collect them too sometimes to give to the cops.

Provingmedusa

Scourge of Antlions
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
On our usual patrols they are usually quite easy to see or out in the open. Making them a little harder shouldn't be too bad.
Of course it depends on the time of day but I usually end up encountering between 1 to 3 on a patrol. Most of the time it's 1 or 2.
The frequency at which they go out.
I don't really notice a "frequency" so I can't say much about that.
I think we've opened quite a lot of them. I usually interact with them daily and we never seek them out, really. We just come across them on patrols.
It's fun I suppose, it gives both sides a chance to encounter and gather irregular equipment or items.

Nebulae
Zulu crates are fine as they are, only bummer bit is that every time you find one you gotta do a /help to open it.

I think there should be a mechanic where if you have a suitable weapon like a sledgehammer or an axe, you can smack the crate with it a few times to open it yourself so you don't have to do a /help and wait twenty minutes every time you want to open a crate
I agree
some automation for it would be real swell

makes me wonder why are they locked from the first place

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
iirc the lock system was implemented to prevent a random joe from getting on at dead hours and clearing all the caches

the lock system allows staff to control how many caches are looted by one player in order to even the playing field.
We’ve had a few cases of stopping people from opening more caches on apoc simply because they already looted a lot.

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Admins rarely ever answer my /helps to crack em open, i have to resort to steam messaging people directly. Like, im talking even when there's admins online bro. Like do ur job... i get you're rping but like... do what you signed up for... I shouldn't sit there for nearly 30-45 minutes waiting for a /response to my /help

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
From a purely rebel perspective:
The frequency at which they go out.
I do not know how to answer any of the questions since I only find the crates I find and don't know anything about the rest
How many Zulu crates have you opened on average?
On average what? Day?
Do you interact with them every day?
Closed ones? No, I'd say I encounter a cluster every few days
Unless you mean checking the ones I find to see whether they're open or closed, then yes, every day
Are you actively seeking them out or do you find them by chance?
I tend to stumble upon one when I'm just idly running around while talking to somebody OOCly which in turn makes me look for more actively
Do they feel fair?
Well they don't really feel unfair since there's nothing to lose opening them (unless you fucking die while waiting for an admin to respond to a /help).
Is it a fun mechanic to engage in?
Sure

The annoying part is having to /help, but that's understandable.
The REAL annoying part is the admins telling me to do a /roll - why??? the loot is predetermined, why are you telling me to roll, what's the point??? I rolled a 100/100 and got a broken mp7????? what did I roll for???????????????

Nebulae
iirc the lock system was implemented to prevent a random joe from getting on at dead hours and clearing all the caches

the lock system allows staff to control how many caches are looted by one player in order to even the playing field.
We’ve had a few cases of stopping people from opening more caches on apoc simply because they already looted a lot.
i still believe that even if someone goes vaccuming everything,
most still ends up in the donation box, cuz why not

havent met anyone yet that hoards it all to himself

the true benefit is that it supplies all, even those that dont run deep into the city since they are fully lambda'd
so someone else could do the run for em. :)

also, if the caches will become a more Puzzle like, in harder to reach spots, and sometimes requiring RP to get there
maybe less Terry Freshspawns will get to them

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
The REAL annoying part is the admins telling me to do a /roll - why??? the loot is predetermined, why are you telling me to roll, what's the point??? I rolled a 100/100 and got a broken mp7????? what did I roll for???????????????
I told you
Simman bias

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
From a purely rebel perspective:

I do not know how to answer any of the questions since I only find the crates I find and don't know anything about the rest

On average what? Day?

Closed ones? No, I'd say I encounter a cluster every few days
Unless you mean checking the ones I find to see whether they're open or closed, then yes, every day

I tend to stumble upon one when I'm just idly running around while talking to somebody OOCly which in turn makes me look for more actively

Well they don't really feel unfair since there's nothing to lose opening them (unless you fucking die while waiting for an admin to respond to a /help).

Sure

The annoying part is having to /help, but that's understandable.
you roll for how effective you open the crate

if you roll low you might have to roll again to open it

if you roll high you open it in one go

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
What is the point if I can roll infinitely???

/roll is used for resolving stalemates not for temporarily turning characters into spastics who can't perform basic tasks
they laugh at your /roll skills in op chat.

All aside that doesn't seem like a requirement as I've not been asked to when I opened a crate, think someone might have just been trying stuff out. leave it be.

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
i did that to u to spite u on graveyard actually

leave the fucking zulu crates NOW