Fixed 2017 and how I'll be gone (Yes, a farewell thread) [UPDATE: I'm back]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Hello, everybody. Since I'm on a train now and got time in my hands, I'll use some of it to update my situation.
During the conscription, we - naturally - had medical examination. Most of it went fine with me, but the results of hearing test were off. I was scheduled another test, and continued my conscription normally.
After the second test, I was scheduled a visit to the central hospital to have my ears checked. At this point I really started to worry, as this isn't an everyday thing to happen in the military.
Well, I was given a ride there, and the doctors asked me stuff like if I ever felt like I had hearing problems. I explained that I usually just passed such incidents as me being oblivious (since I'm also clumsy, and those two traits go well together).
First, my ears were checked for any injuries (e.g. injured eardrums) with good results, there was no physical damage.
Then I had another hearing test, and besides just listening bleeps on different volumes and frequencies, I also had to listen to and repeat all sorts of words on different volumes.
Lastly, I was then shared the results and diagnosis.
For the sake of exposition and clarity, I'll go tad in-depth here. Any doctors feel free to correct errors in here.
This is roughly what an audiogram (diagram for the hearing test results) looks like.
normal.gif

The colored lines are for both ears, one for left and one for right ear. Simple.
Average, young and healthy human's colored lines go horizontally.
In my case, however, the line takes a dip around 1000-2000 hz. This is where regular human speech is, apparently.
The doctor believed that I was naturally born with a hearing like this and that it had simply gotten worse along time, and that I had assumed it was me just being oblivious since, well, I had grown used to it.
With this, I had the risk of my hearing getting even worse and being damaged permanently, were I to continue conscription. He recommended me C-rank, which means relieved of active military duty for times of peace, AKA I can return to normal civilian life, but I'll be conscripted right back in if a crisis - like a war - happens. I was then sent back to barracks with the papers from medical side probs being sent to higher-ups, and about a day later it was officially confirmed that I'd be relieved of active duty. My last days were spent preparing for departure, and, well... here I am now, on a train home (well I have to switch a few more trains, but that's beside the point).
I was honestly surprised that this'd happen, and also melancholic in a way. I had a blast with my roommates and the team leader that helped me through tough times, so I'm gonna miss 'em. Hopefully I can meet up with them later on in life.

So, yeah... that all happened. I'm back, but still kinda unsure what to do next. You'll probably see me on the server soon, but I still gotta figure out what to do with my chars.
I'll ask mods to lock this thread later and not after this post, in case anybody wants to ask anything here in particular.
Edit: And before people get worried, no, I'm not going deaf. Returning to civilian life means I'll avoid the risk of damaging my hearing, but it was still recommended to me that I'll do checkups later on to keep tabs on my hearing.
As of right now, I'm still a-okay.

Last edited:

TheInnkeeper

Fear the Old Blood
Premium Member
Nebulae
Hello, everybody. Since I'm on a train now and got time in my hands, I'll use some of it to update my situation.
During the conscription, we - naturally - had medical examination. Most of it went fine with me, but the results of hearing test were off. I was scheduled another test, and continued my conscription normally.
After the second test, I was scheduled a visit to the central hospital to have my ears checked. At this point I really started to worry, as this isn't an everyday thing to happen in the military.
Well, I was given a ride there, and the doctors asked me stuff like if I ever felt like I had hearing problems. I explained that I usually just passed such incidents as me being oblivious (since I'm also clumsy, and those two traits go well together).
First, my ears were checked for any injuries (e.g. injured eardrums) with good results, there was no physical damage.
Then I had another hearing test, and besides just listening bleeps on different volumes and frequencies, I also had to listen to and repeat all sorts of words on different volumes.
Lastly, I was then shared the results and diagnosis.
For the sake of exposition and clarity, I'll go tad in-depth here. Any doctors feel free to correct errors in here.
This is roughly what an audiogram (diagram for the hearing test results) looks like.
normal.gif

The colored lines are for both ears, one for left and one for right ear. Simple.
Average, young and healthy human's colored lines go horizontally.
In my case, however, the line takes a dip around 1000-2000 hz. This is where regular human speech is, apparently.
The doctor believed that I was naturally born with a hearing like this and that it had simply gotten worse along time, and that I had assumed it was me just being oblivious since, well, I had grown used to it.
With this, I had the risk of my hearing getting even worse and being damaged permanently, were I to continue conscription. He recommended me C-rank, which means relieved of active military duty for times of peace, AKA I can return to normal civilian life, but I'll be conscripted right back in if a crisis - like a war - happens. I was then sent back to barracks with the papers from medical side probs being sent to higher-ups, and about a day later it was officially confirmed that I'd be relieved of active duty. My last days were spent preparing for departure, and, well... here I am now, on a train home (well I have to switch a few more trains, but that's beside the point).
I was honestly surprised that this'd happen, and also melancholic in a way. I had a blast with my roommates and the team leader that helped me through tough times, so I'm gonna miss 'em. Hopefully I can meet up with them later on in life.

So, yeah... that all happened. I'm back, but still kinda unsure what to do next. You'll probably see me on the server soon, but I still gotta figure out what to do with my chars.
I'll ask mods to lock this thread later and not after this post, in case anybody wants to ask anything here in particular.
Edit: And before people get worried, no, I'm not going deaf. Returning to civilian life means I'll avoid the risk of damaging my hearing, but it was still recommended to me that I'll do checkups later on to keep tabs on my hearing.
As of right now, I'm still a-okay.
thank fuck

Oxy[Morons]

ส็ส็็ส็็็็ส็็็็ส็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็ส็็็็ส็็็็ส็็ส็
Nebulae
your bad hearing would actually make you a better soldier

that means you could have explosions and gunshots next to you without even flinching cause you didnt hear shit
are you serious
I fear I won't even get past the physical due to my 50% hearing loss
It gets loud as fucking shit when you're in a firefight, how do you expect someone like me to be able to hear orders, or requests from a fellow soldier in comparison to someone normal

and don't even get me started on trying to be an nco and having to communicate over radio

Grau

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae

that means you could have explosions and gunshots next to you without even flinching cause you didnt hear shit
jesus christ are you actually this retarded like how can a grown man come up with something like that

Reactions: List

Bork

Roleplay Punisher
Nebulae

how though
his ear drums are still intact and that's the ones you wanna keep intact, the rest is an issue he was born with lmao

also whats up with all finns in LP and Neb get thrown back home from conscription? happened to @MikkoK too

Lynx

Dig Down, and find faith.
Nebulae
It gets loud as fucking shit when you're in a firefight, how do you expect someone like me to be able to hear orders, or requests from a fellow soldier in comparison to some
Since your hearing seems to dip at lower frequencies; it could hinder your ability to operate properly as you'll be less sensitive to the rapport of gunfire due to the lower frequencies involved, meaning you won't hear explosions ans gunfire as well as you would bullets breaking the sound barrier. Radio comms would be an issue due to the prominence of treble feedback of the radio, mixed with your hinderance in the lowet frequencies of human speech.
Dr. Lynx coming at you with supersonic memes

swexs

Nebulae
Since your hearing seems to dip at lower frequencies; it could hinder your ability to operate properly as you'll be less sensitive to the rapport of gunfire due to the lower frequencies involved, meaning you won't hear explosions ans gunfire as well as you would bullets breaking the sound barrier. Radio comms would be an issue due to the prominence of treble feedback of the radio, mixed with your hinderance in the lowet frequencies of human speech.
doctor i have cancer :( help

Reactions: List

Mt3c1

Portugal Hater
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Welcome back my friend.

mattehb

Proton
Nebulae

the physical feeling of the sound barrier being cracked (depending on distance of the shot) is also another way you'll be able to tell it's time to hit the dirt.

wb too from conscription @Tinbe!

Status
Not open for further replies.