Serious A HL2RP² Critique: Why I no longer enjoy it as a rebel main

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
you simply just can't cater to two sides who're both convinced they should be the main characters of the setting and do it well, unless they're entirely separated and never interact player to player

there has to be a loser in a setting like this, just like there HAS to be a winner - and neither side wants to be the loser
also i just think this is wrong (at least in s2k) - you can have both sides take losses as long it feels fair, and recently it hasnt felt fair. in odessa and apoc it didnt feel like either side was curbstomping the other constantly (been taking a little break so im assuming there might be less of this after the heli incident)

TedHatty

Proton
Nebulae
Everything that is structured within the formula makes the server feel, like TedHatty put it simply, 'a milsim/playground for combine'.

fucking hell I need to stop venting in private to the people in this community if i then have to see my name appear to make a point, but whatever bro i love you regardless its ok

I recently found out that there are indeed supplies being handed out to all rebels, we just did not know you had to make a forum convo. The only downside is that it's a bit bureaucratic, but whatever man

@Appetite Ruining Kebab has made contracts to give rebels something to do and be rewarded for it

in addition (don't know if it has been told already) some people in the event team have been appointed to lead the rebel and combine storyline, so I guess we have to see how things evolve. Just give people time to come up with shit and don't press them too hard

as for losing fights I don't care much. I know of two examples in which the losing side still had fun.

Combine lost the Villa defense last week, and there weren't many complaints.
The second example is the first rebel attack on agora. It was a balanced exchange of fire, thanks to the fog eliminating all possibilities of unfair sniping (which we saw in the second attack)

guess it's all about finding a good balance between staff and player initiated roleplay

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
also i just think this is wrong (at least in s2k) - you can have both sides take losses as long it feels fair, and recently it hasnt felt fair. in odessa and apoc it didnt feel like either side was curbstomping the other constantly (been taking a little break so im assuming there might be less of this after the heli incident)
My post literally had nothing to do with S2K

Reactions: List

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
My post literally had nothing to do with S2K
oh

if there are people who are genuinely annoyed about being positioned as winners/losers in the storyline then thats on them sucking at rp
but it hasnt seemed like thats been much of a problem so far

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
this entire thread now reads like doomertext i cannot read a single bit more

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Wasn't there for them and I didn't know enough if you'd be willing fill our buddy in?
1. Depot was set in dried Azov sea. It involved freeing the prisoners as to avoid the lot of them from being stalkerized, and dealing with a massive Combine structure built on top of a lighthouse. *Prisoners rioted while insurgent groups in the desert tried to fan the flames. It got to do its thing, but vort players teleported inside the base of the lighthouse to dismantle the Combine thing afterwards.

2. Apocalypse was set in the outskirts of Odessa. It involved a bunch of smaller and larger Combine structures, most of which rebels failed to sabotage including one massive spire that was a communication relay. Until the very end, where an old Strider was made to go buckwild so rebels could evacuate **and to take out the spire after it had already been used. There was also a secondary plot involving a Gonarch - with vortigaunts failing to negotiate due to Combine intervention, and Combine failing to kill it due to the intervention of a strange Manta intervening. Vortigaunts later put the pieces together and told rebels there was a Controller in a misty city.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
could someone briefly explain the server dynamic as it is rn?
cops on the backpedal, restless insurgency swallowing up areas

both sides have the occasional skirmish while trying to juggle faction rep for two towns & a distant corrupt government interfering with both, whoever holds X town needs to defend it. lambda dish out gear to the insurgency and try to discredit the distance government.

both towns are 'neutral' but have their own agenda and one of them is filled with cultist nutjobs with too much tech

Reggie

fresh prince of baghdad
Nebulae
PYS7gcS.png

we're so back