Serious A Rebel Critique: For those who knowingly antagonize cop players for a funny meme.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Look, I won't remotely sugarcoat this because it needs to be solved too if we're tackling RL's in the other thread.

Rebels as a collective have, more often than not, recieved absolutely none of the attention as the actual 'factions' have when it comes to self-sorting the bad eggs amongst them, universally because they're either friends or because the 'banter' and spite is seen as 'fair play' or 'getting even' with cop players. Many of those most guilty are the same people who can and will freak out the second cops do something they deem as unfair or spite-based in kind, even if its identical in every other way.

It was these attitudes that all but ruined the last two big events of 1.0.

Its been a thing since 2016 and its basically been allowed to go unchecked because it was an excuse for people to see it as targetting and kick up shit. Yes, this will require 'calling out' individuals. It will require friends to call out friends, even in private.

tl;dr: We need to sort this shit too.

Anti-tankspy

Nucleus
Nebulae
Rebels as a collective have, more often than not, recieved absolutely none of the attention as the actual 'factions' have when it comes to self-sorting the bad eggs amongst them, universally because they're either friends or because the 'banter' and spite is seen as 'fair play' or 'getting even' with cop players. Many of those most guilty are the same people who can and will freak out the second cops do something they deem as unfair or spite-based in kind, even if its identical in every other way.
attitudes likes these stem dangerously from both sides (wouldn't know about it on combine because im rebelmain this iteration) and from my personal experience, behaviorism like that is usually a chain-reaction to a shitfest caused occasionally by either side

and, like previously mentioned continously on this thread and others:

Its been a thing since 2016 and its basically been allowed to go unchecked because it was an excuse for people to see it as targetting and kick up shit. Yes, this will require 'calling out' individuals. It will require friends to call out friends, even in private.

This is one of few ways where behavior like this can be purged. The solution is there, it just needs someone with the balls to do it with no threat of backfire/demotion/whatever conflicting with their actions. Dealing with things like these privately will do nothing more than a 'don't do it again' which, as we've seen multiple times in this community, is generally very ineffective and some people will fail to listen to and continue to carry out even more deplorable antics than they previously have. Both sides need to ease off the hostilities, both sides need to be on cool terms with each other OOCly without constantly pissing the other off.

The excuse of 'but if we make them go away, who will we put in replacement?' is simply invalid. There are dozens, if not a hundred people currently active and playing on this iteration. You cannot convince me that you cannot pick out a bunch of competent folks from such a number.

tl;dr: purge the eggheads who don't care and let us have fun

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
@deathwolf you need to either be more active or let the council rule itself and stay an observer.

also all the @armbands please stop shooting roleplay functions up, it's fucking stupid that whenever cops want to RP away from everyone else we get blasted with some surprise ambush because you want more montages or whatever.

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
@deathwolf you need to either be more active or let the council rule itself and stay an observer.

also all the @armbands please stop shooting roleplay functions up, it's fucking stupid that whenever cops want to RP away from everyone else we get blasted with some surprise ambush because you want more montages or whatever.
I've not been very active on my armband recently, but its the first I've heard of roleplay functions being shot up - like cop events?

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I've not been very active on my armband recently, but its the first I've heard of roleplay functions being shot up - like cop events?
bunch of OBC cultists were doing a prayer call in a remote hut and six+ armbands came up and started spraying the building

Reactions: List

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

i’ve not had access to a pc mate but no one’s even asked me about anything in a good week or two despite my asking, not much i can do bro

Nathant18

Blue Ball
HL2 RP Server Director
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

I don't know what roleplay functions we've supposedly been shooting up? I haven't received any complaints whatsoever as a result of what we've been doing and infact we've been incredibly laid back this map and haven't done much at all.

bunch of OBC cultists were doing a prayer call in a remote hut and six+ armbands came up and started spraying the building
Okay but this was in the weather station? Same territory as rebels being shot at in Zethes checkpoint, and they voluntarily fought us as they opened the door so we figured they wanted the fight as well. As far as I'm aware it was enjoyed by both parties because I didn't receive any complaints?

I'm open to discuss what our group does but I absolutely hate this tone that has already started, saying that we go out for 'montages' when as far as I'm aware, the other side is gunning for a fight a majority of the time too and we just so happen to put up a decent one

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
grand total of 6 posts before people started disagreeing on presumed facts on a server that you really think would be able to fact-check these things fairly indisputably with shadowplay

Maytree

Black Hole
Nebulae
In my honest views, every faction (i'm not just talking the ones in our server) are prone to have Zergs terrorizing the opposing faction for laughs and nebs, but it usually goes down to *how leadership* deals with these individuals and the chaos they ensue. For the current Civil Protection leads-- yeah, they tremendously fucked up their jobs. As someone who players several CMB characters in a couple of HL2rp servers, the effort they put into montages *than* faction leadership is quite disappointing. But I'm going to cease talking about that.

With my experiences with the resistance side of things, as someone who had an active Vortigaunt since Azov, there were attempts from most of the Cells that sought to quell Zerging Behavior. I remember me and a few other people were confronting Elizibeth 'Blue' Corbyn about the unprovoked s2king on Cops/OTA, that she and her group carried out for guns. We discussed having our cells form an alliance/council of all the rebel groups, but she didn't accept and insisted on wanting to collect the Combine's newly implemented pulse weapons. This isn't an OOC callout, but rather just an IC instance of some people wanting to kill people and expand their arsenal collection just for the hell of it (regardless of IC repercussions).

So far things have gone relatively peaceful for the Resistance Playerbase. I'm rather just concerned that the majority of rebels will get fucked over by two or three nameless cells that only exist to shoot down cops. And I'm more concerned if S2Kers will try alt-swapping to the Combine Side to participate in a sweep they had deliberately caused.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I haven't received any complaints whatsoever
As far as I'm aware it was enjoyed by both parties because I didn't receive any complaints?
some people weren't aware of who was attacking and others didn't press the issue

I didn't want a bunch of people yelling at me about tit-for-tat nonsense so I didn't say anything when it went down

they voluntarily fought us as they opened the door so we figured they wanted the fight as well.
I can't speak for everyone but we were already watching for antlion activity and had someone prepared

if they went gung-ho, idk

saying that we go out for 'montages' when as far as I'm aware, the other side is gunning for a fight a majority of the time too
the amount of webm videos that were being thrown around during odessa is case in point

yeah, civpro has a bunch of rabid nutjobs who demand constant fighting but a good chunk want to walk outside the gate to do things and can't because they get met with scouts who radio in some killsquad to ambush them

I detest it but if I'm in the minority, whatever

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
And I'm more concerned if S2Kers will alt-swap to the Combine Side and participate in a sweep they had deliberately caused.
That’s literally against the rules and I haven’t seen it happening once since the servers inception

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
yeah, civpro has a bunch of rabid nutjobs who demand constant fighting but a good chunk want to walk outside the gate to do things and can't because they get met with scouts who radio in some killsquad to ambush them
This is also why they default to using the APC, tbh.

Nathant18

Blue Ball
HL2 RP Server Director
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
With my experiences with the resistance side of things, as someone who had an active Vortigaunt since Azov, there were attempts from most of the Cells that sought to quell Zerging Behaivor. I remember me and a few other people were confronting Elizibeth 'Blue' Corbyn about the unprovoked s2king on Cops/OTA, that she and her group carried out for guns. We discussed having our cells form an alliance/council of all the rebel groups, but she didn't accept and insisted of wanting to collecting the Combine's newly implemented pulse weapons. This isn't an OOC callout, but rather just an IC instance of some people wanting to kill people and expand their arsenal collection just for the hell of it (regardless of IC repercussions).
What my character is saying IC does not entirely reflect what our group actually goes ahead and does, as I said previously, we've done very little this map in comparison to previous ones.
I can't speak for everyone but we were already watching for antlion activity and had someone prepared

if they went gung-ho, idk
The doors were not opened until we made ourselves known to the people inside, they wanted the fight 100%. They even shut the door numerous times to presumably heal before reopening the door and re-engaging us multiple times.
the amount of webm videos that were being thrown around during odessa is case in point

The clips we post are never done in bad faith and if anyone has ever felt that they are, then please send me a DM, I'm not at all for players thinking we're 'clowning' on them for whatever reason for things that happen in game. I like to think I've got a pretty good relationship with both Combine and rebel players and just because our group is quite focused on s2k shouldn't instantly bring about the opinion that we're tryhard losers who shit on people who aren't good at s2k because we do take into account the other side when planning stuff, I've stressed it a lot in Discord that I want both sides to have fun

In reference to the last point though, we haven't done anything this map outside of the aforementioned hit on the weather station, and even in C24 we only went out after some radio'd in that they were crossing onto our side of the bridge, again, cops who presumably want a fight at that point. Other ops were more often than not focused around securing an objective in the city.

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
The clips we post are never done in bad faith
The issue is also partially that, whether the clips were done in bad faith or not, rebels have - this iteration - been the side of the server displaying a far greater willingness to use and treat them that way.

What comes to mind most immediately is the incredibly verbal clamor (if by a relative minority, thank God) during late Metro and most of 24 for a Rebelcord channel specifically dedicated to posting montages and kill counts after shotcops. You gotta remember the stubbornly competitive and juvenile demographic those kinds of clips wind up in front of most of the time.

Even if the Armbands and the cops involved handle it sportingly, some prick is inevitably going to use it to say something shitty - either in the Discords where they think nobody on the other side'll notice or straight-up on the forums - and kickstart another deluge of snide remarks.

Nathant18

Blue Ball
HL2 RP Server Director
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
stop shooting cops as soon as they step 1 cm out of agora please
I know this has been discussed in the resistance discord, but I want to add here as well that this is a massive exaggeration as to what actually happened. The cops were well over the river and at least halfway to their base before they were engaged.

Cops in that PT have admitted that they basically 'knew' they were going to get shot at given the behaviours of those inside the town and the time (unrelated to the actual team setting up the ambush) but didn't do anything about it, no smoke grenades, no scanners were requested, they just took their chances and booked it for their base, like idk man, cover your retreat or something if you feel uneasy.

Anti-tankspy

Nucleus
Nebulae
stop shooting cops as soon as they step 1 cm out of agora please
like @Nathant18 said this information from the report i got was a bit exaggerated

cops were in fact not shot at as soon as they stepped out, they crossed the river to get to their base (which takes more than a second, contrary to the reports i got) where then they were ambushed

not that im trying to justify what happened, id be pissed off too if I had USPs and had to fight off AKs with those but given the circumstances in agora and the PT knowing that it was being stalked, they shouldn't have dropped their guard and looked for alternatives. this whole engagement was somewhat avoidable on cp side

agora is neutral, but it's back to the wild west when you leave it

Last edited:

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
but given the circumstances in agora and the PT knowing that it was being stalked, they shouldn't have dropped their guard and looked for alternatives. this whole engagement was somewhat avoidable on cp side

I'm not saying 'never ambush cops ever' but I'm pretty sure if this happened to rebels you'd be seeing a hell of a lot more posts about how technicalities don't excuse the fact cops would have waited for the most convenient moment OOC to start shooting again. You certainly wouldn't see rebels being 'victim blamed' (for lack of a better term) for being shot after going out of their way to engage in roleplay they didn't actually have to come and do.

If cops start rolling up in an APC and park that shit outside town to ensure they could safely come do passive without getting murdered there'd be instant complaints too.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
If cops start rolling up in an APC and park that shit outside town to ensure they could safely come do passive without getting murdered there'd be instant complaints too.
invalid complaints

adequate response to being constantly gangstalked, and I say this as someone who helped with the ambushes