Alex on HL2 i17 & outlands

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
yknow I am open to letting other people work on it with me

I've said time and time again that atle far outclasses me in terms of visual design, having his aesthetics and my optimization would be fucking beautiful
Never said you weren't open to it, just said that developing C08 to see if it can be altered to fit everyone is better than going back to i17 in the hope that it may or may not be good for everyone

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
Never said you weren't open to it, just said that developing C08 to see if it can be altered to fit everyone is better than going back to i17 in the hope that it may or may not be good for everyone
Having looked at a decompile of C08, I can say that reworking both maps would be equally difficult albeit for different reasons. Not saying it's impossible, but a lot of brushwork would need to be deleted, shuffled around, and so on to add what's being requested of C08. With i17, it's a tedious process of cordonning off an area, working on lighting and effects, compiling, then repeating until it looks good... and then repeating times a thousand for the whole map. Not to mention hitting brush limits, moving shit to propper, turning it into a static prop, then hoping the lighting doesn't look horrible.

D

Deleted member 19

The thing is here, it already was edited before, if you want to change anything its gona require heavy excavation. For instance, D4; its all built underground. If you want to change that your going to have to destroy the whole sidewalk which takes you through to the heart of the map, the store, the CWU building and the big building that takes you down the ladder.

That's a crap ton of work, and even when you remove all that stuff you got to consider what to do with the rest of the subway tunnels to make sure it doesn't become useless.

ice

Paramilitary enthusiast
Nebulae
why not a favela map
[doublepost=1483914080][/doublepost]
favela.jpg

an overcrowded urban center that's a mess of alleys and theres no sewers its just humanity living and building over the ashes of the old world

D

Deleted member 243

Why not have a big city as cramdam said, and have rebels choose their own d4

Its really weird people always frequent the sawm fucking area, which is pre-implemented

Reactions: List

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae

Its really weird people always frequent the sawm fucking area, which is pre-implemented

Because how do you make a map with a Union area, MEANT for Union forces and then let the rebels pick, they aren't going to have much choice are they?
Same goes for CWU, WI, UM areas, they're built for those factions, rebels always get the short straw. HOWEVER, not with C08 they get a big slice of freedom.

D

Deleted member 243

Because how do you make a map with a Union area, MEANT for Union forces and then let the rebels pick, they aren't going to have much choice are they?
Same goes for CWU, WI, UM areas, they're built for those factions, rebels always get the short straw. HOWEVER, not with C08 they get a big slice of freedom.
take gm_bigcity as a really shitty concept

huge map, next to no enterable building. but, the thing is. there are set places where rebels can set up. Let's say, a suburban area, or a powerplant.

A city is a city, with a lot of shit in it. Though gm_bigcity would be a stupid idea

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
take gm_bigcity as a really shitty concept

huge map, next to no enterable building. but, the thing is. there are set places where rebels can set up. Let's say, a suburban area, or a powerplant.

A city is a city, with a lot of shit in it. Though gm_bigcity would be a stupid idea

I suppose you have somewhat of a point, but think of the lag if we were to build our own areas. Currently the server is struggling with some of the structures there at the moment, and that's just D6/D9.

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
I suppose you have somewhat of a point, but think of the lag if we were to build our own areas. Currently the server is struggling with some of the structures there at the moment, and that's just D6/D9.
then keep props to a minimum. let the rebels make do with what they can find.

D

Deleted member 243

A good example of a rundown nest of cockroaches (rebels) would be RB1, which is right next to a Nexus entrance. It's structure is great for rebels, though where it is placed is terrible.

A lot of maps have this- for as when you make a wrong turn on the normal side of the city, you are suddenly in rebel paradise. I have a really good map for this as an example- don't let it's name fool you.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=565230643&searchtext=

ice

Paramilitary enthusiast
Nebulae
Always liked the idea of the rebels being based in something like an underground train station that managed to survive the war.

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
A good example of a rundown nest of cockroaches (rebels) would be RB1, which is right next to a Nexus entrance. It's structure is great for rebels, though where it is placed is terrible.

A lot of maps have this- for as when you make a wrong turn on the normal side of the city, you are suddenly in rebel paradise. I have a really good map for this as an example- don't let it's name fool you.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=565230643&searchtext=
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104496407

superior version of the map
why not a favela map
favela.jpg

an overcrowded urban center that's a mess of alleys and theres no sewers its just humanity living and building over the ashes of the old world
because making that in hammer and having it run at any decent FPS would be a fucking nightmare

because it's easier to plan the flow of the game by having an idea in mind

ruben slikk

life aint shut but a fat vagin
Nebulae
why not a favela map
favela.jpg

rip the favela map from mw2

D

Deleted member 243

wouldn't be too hard yeah
Just add some combine tech, strip some darkrp-esque shops like the gun shop near a sewer entrance in the industrial section and you're probably good to go. Also changing the PD into a nexus could be done.

Nya

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Always liked the idea of the rebels being based in something like an underground train station that managed to survive the war.

The Metro Games all over again.
277359.jpg

Last edited: