Anime Megathread

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
dunno what happend to no game no life though.
dont know either

studio stopped, then continued, stopped and recently said they wanted a new season which'll eventually come later this or earlier next year

Reactions: List

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
Any good action (or even potentially Shonen/Isekai/whatever) recommendations where the author establishes characters' powers and abilities and then rolls with them without unannounced/unfounded changes and asspulls?
I would honestly say My Hero Academia does a pretty good way of doing this... It establishes the characters' powers, and any subsequent power-ups are done by the characters figuring out new ways, or more efficient ways, of using their powers; it's not like they suddenly get a power-up from the power of friendship or something like that.

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
Definitely check out Hunter X Hunter
I've been putting that one of for a while, honestly due to a bit of a preconception
I would honestly say My Hero Academia does a pretty good way of doing this... It establishes the characters' powers, and any subsequent power-ups are done by the characters figuring out new ways, or more efficient ways, of using their powers; it's not like they suddenly get a power-up from the power of friendship or something like that.
Already seen/read all of MHA, thanks for the suggestion though

And thanks for everyone else's recommendations, too

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Been looking into Gundam, specifically 08th MS Team series - good shit so far. As said by the dude who recommended it for me, it adheres more to realism than typical anime flashiness and other Gundam series. Though, it also clashes with how flashily-painted the Mobile Suits are, even when they clearly try to do sneakier stuff with them :v Even the villainous Zeons manage to accidentally be more sensible with their Zakus' default-green paintjob going well with the jungle setting.

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
when 2 of the 3 manga's you've been following this year have underwhelming endings

feelsbadman

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
Vinland Saga broskis... When's season 2? I don't know if I should wait or read the manga lmao.
All the spring anime I've been following are coming to a close. Feels man.
On that note...
https://myanimelist.net/anime/40359/Ikebukuro_West_Gate_Park
106670l.jpg

https://myanimelist.net/anime/40052/Great_Pretender
107954l.jpg

https://myanimelist.net/anime/41353/The_God_of_High_School
107269l.jpg

Based on a manwha, tower of god has been pretty good so far and I've heard good things about this one too

These 3 upcoming shows seem quite promising, will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Kekkuda

Neutrino
Nebulae
Yooo anybody know of anything that has a similar vibe to films and shows like Angel's Egg or Kaiba? I'm specifically looking for a lot of unconventional anime with just generally abstract imagery.

Nov

Molecule
Nebulae
Yooo anybody know of anything that has a similar vibe to films and shows like Angel's Egg or Kaiba? I'm specifically looking for a lot of unconventional anime with just generally abstract imagery.
Beserk, especially in later parts

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
Serial Experiments Lain

there's also manga work by tkmiz such as Shimeji Simulation.

Last edited:

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae

For those who haven't seen it yet lol

What have I just watched
Also, if we're sharing evangelion song.. things, here's a classic:

and can we talk about how weird the premise of eva is like let's have this episodic mecha slice-of-life-esq anime where the protagonists defeat the villain of the week after and before goofing of and discovering some moral lesson about relationships, but let's slowly unveil their deep mental problems and insecurities and have it all melt into this bitter mix as everyone feels alienated from everyone else and mainly themselves and the viewer is assaulted by psychedelic scenes that I suppose are describing the characters' internal states, and poor old Shinji is beaten down again and again and everyone fails and it all builds up towards this movie where after yet another hearty helping of failure and regret stuff so bizzare happens you have no choice but to stop following the plot and accept its all a huge metaphor for depression or something with lore so weird you have to spend hours reading up on it just to know what the fuck actually happened

Last edited:

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
What have I just watched
Also, if we're sharing evangelion song.. things, here's a classic:

and can we talk about how weird the premise of eva is like let's have this episodic mecha slice-of-life-esq anime where the protagonists defeat the villain of the week after and before goofing of and discovering some moral lesson about relationships, but let's slowly unveil their deep mental problems and insecurities and have it all melt into this bitter mix as everyone feels alienated from everyone else and mainly themselves and the viewer is assaulted by psychedelic scenes that I suppose are describing the characters' internal states, and poor old Shinji is beaten down again and again and everyone fails and it all builds up towards this movie where after yet another hearty helping of failure and regret stuff so bizzare happens you have no choice but to stop following the plot and accept its all a huge metaphor for depression or something with lore so weird you have to spend hours reading up on it just to know what the fuck actually happened

I'm pretty sure Evangelion was meant to be commentary on how mecha animes don't really address the underlying concept of "barely-pubescent teens wracked with moodswings having to commandeer meat puppets the size of skyscrapers to fight off alien horrors usually even bigger than the size of skyscrapers", and instead blowing it all for "haha big sword go swoosh".

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I'm pretty sure Evangelion was meant to be commentary on how mecha animes don't really address the underlying concept of "barely-pubescent teens wracked with moodswings having to commandeer meat puppets the size of skyscrapers to fight off alien horrors usually even bigger than the size of skyscrapers", and instead blowing it all for "haha big sword go swoosh".

There's a lot more to Eva than the premise. It's not meant to be a commentary on it, but rather the emotions, mental issues, and other topics treated in the anime, are the important part, and using mechas and underaged kids forced to pilot them in a post-apocalyptic setting was the way they chose to portray it.

Hideaki Anno at his best, it's like saying the premise to the NieR and Drakengard games is that other apocalyptic games don't truly board the reality of a completely lost future, when in reality its real focus is humanism and other philosophical lines of thought with an insanely deep and complex (and well-build, at that) lore, the setting is merely one of the best ways to portray it and make it attractive to people. In short, Yoko Taro being Yoko Taro.

The Yoko Taro thing would be explained better if you say interviews where they ask him stuff. His answers are a big contrast to the complexity and detail of the series and its lore, just like with Hideaki Anno's works, and interviews. They could both give their clear, fixed view on the game and what they want to portray, but their focus is not to explain the setting, because the setting is secondary to the philosophies and messages they want to portray while allowing the players/watchers to interpret themselves from their POV.

They will make a massive work of art and puzzles, and when asked about it, they'll reply "We added X because we liked it, looks cool".

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
There's a lot more to Eva than the premise. It's not meant to be a commentary on it, but rather the emotions, mental issues, and other topics treated in the anime, are the important part, and using mechas and underaged kids forced to pilot them in a post-apocalyptic setting was the way they chose to portray it.

Hideaki Anno at his best, it's like saying the premise to the NieR and Drakengard games is that other apocalyptic games don't truly board the reality of a completely lost future, when in reality its real focus is humanism and other philosophical lines of thought with an insanely deep and complex (and well-build, at that) lore, the setting is merely one of the best ways to portray it and make it attractive to people. In short, Yoko Taro being Yoko Taro.

The Yoko Taro thing would be explained better if you say interviews where they ask him stuff. His answers are a big contrast to the complexity and detail of the series and its lore, just like with Hideaki Anno's works, and interviews. They could both give their clear, fixed view on the game and what they want to portray, but their focus is not to explain the setting, because the setting is secondary to the philosophies and messages they want to portray while allowing the players/watchers to interpret themselves from their POV.

They will make a massive work of art and puzzles, and when asked about it, they'll reply "We added X because we liked it, looks cool".
Yeah, the topics Eva discusses and its depth with all the metaphors, references, visual themes and such is incredibly cool, it was just the way it was packaged that caught me off guard, mostly the early overtly light "normal mecha" structure that slowly transformed into what I expected the show to be, but still not quite. Although I guess that was a deliberate choice, too. I still like it, just wouldn't want to go through it again

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Yeah, the topics Eva discusses and its depth with all the metaphors, references, visual themes and such is incredibly cool, it was just the way it was packaged that caught me off guard, mostly the early overtly light "normal mecha" structure that slowly transformed into what I expected the show to be, but still not quite. Although I guess that was a deliberate choice, too. I still like it, just wouldn't want to go through it again

Yeah the idea in both Nier/DKG and Evangelion is that if you want to watch a mecha anime or play a game with le thicc robots you can, and at the same time if you want to delve deeper into its philosophy, you can also do so.

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
i cant get enough of how great the voice acting is and i live for these moments

i always get teary eyes when i hear shit like this