Budget VR (For HL: Alyx) (And How To Play The Game With A Shitty PC)

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
So you require that juicy VR headset for Alyx, aye? This thread will take yeh down the lane of VR headsets and price.

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU HAVE A SHITTY PC AND YOU DONT WANNA UPGRADE IT. YOU CAN BUY A STANDALONE HEADSET WHICH WILL RUN IT AND IT WILL WORK.

Cheap VR ~ $179 (161.74 Euro) (138.58 Pound)

Windows Mixed Reality
These are cheap VR headsets that will allow you to play the game. They come with standard controllers and will get you through the day and game. It may not be the best choice, but it'll let you play the game.

Costs 179 USD
Headset on amazon here:

Good Headsets - EACH COST $400 (309.68 Pounds) (361.43 Euros)

HTC VIVE
The HTC Vive is the best introduction headset to someone with a fat wallet. It gives you two camera stations, the headset, and controllers. If you have the money, this is the best choice.

From here you can upgrade to the Index Controllers or Index headset.

Official used headsets here

Rift S
If you like Oculus more than HTC, feel free to pick up this headset at the exact same price.

Rift S for 309 pounds

Oculus Quest
This bad boy right here is a standalone headset. You can have a shitty PC and play any VR game you want with ZERO wires.

However, if you wanna play the ole' Half Life Game, you gotta get a link cable. Comes in a 400 and 500 dollar version. Just get the cheaper one (It's about game storage on the headset)

Standalone headset for 309 pounds.

EXTRA NOTES:
- If you buy the HTC Vive or Index, you can use the Index controllers. Say you buy the HTC Vive, you can then buy the standalone Index Controllers.

- The Index Controllers (Knuckles) only work on the HTC Vive and Index.

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
What headset would you recommend for someone who has as little space as possible

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
What headset would you recommend for someone who has as little space as possible
For the HTC Vive you've gotta actually hang up the sensors and everything, so I wouldn't go with that then.

It's really down to the Oculus Quest and Rift S if you have the money.

So it depends from there:

- Do you have money to buy a good headset?
If no, buy the Windows Reality one.
If yes, go to the next question.

- Do you have a really shitty PC?
If yes, buy the Oculus Quest
If no, buy the Oculus Rift S

- Do you have a good PC but want no wires / to be able to play games in other locations than just the room your PC is in? (Note: To play Alyx you have to use the link cable to your PC. But that's really the only game.)
If yes, buy the Oculus Quest
If no, buy the Oculus Rift S

- Can you handle the fact that you must manage storage space on your standalone VR headset (so you have to download the games to the headset to play them. (Although, I believe this doesn't change the selection of games.)
If yes, than buy the Oculus Quest.
If no, than buy the Oculus Rift S

axido

whatttttttt
Nebulae
keep in mind the new minimal specs, older maxwell (900 series) nvidia cards won't cut it no more

also 16gb of ram mans

DxT1ply.png

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
keep in mind the new minimal specs, older maxwell (900 series) nvidia cards won't cut it no more

also 16gb of ram mans

DxT1ply.png
These are the specs gamers. So if your PC is shite, and you wanna play the game, get the Oculus Quest.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
I brought my pc 2 years ago to be a 'Metro machine'
Gotta upgrade again to be a 'Half-Life machine' as wierd as it sounds

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
is meme
basically you can 'download ram' but its just a stupid joke
something like 'bro you still buy ram? cringe, just download it!!'
ah i was unaware of this meme
thank u sir

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
Does anyone know of any good deals on a 1060? I'm looking to not overspend when I could be grabbing an amazing deal on something, especially with Black Friday and Christmas around the corner. Any help is great :)

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
Aight so the Oculus Rift S and the Oculus Rift Quest 64 GB cost exactly the same. What‘s better? My PC is pretty decent, but I don‘t have too much space.

Pyromancer

doNT YOU KNOW how HARD DEVVING IS????
Nebulae
Does anyone know of any good deals on a 1060? I'm looking to not overspend when I could be grabbing an amazing deal on something, especially with Black Friday and Christmas around the corner. Any help is great :grinning:
i paid like 240 for my 1060 6gb in 2017 but that was before mining rdmed all the prices so idk how much they are anymore

hold out for black friday in a week or so because they're gonna get price cuts with it being the literal mentioned minimum for HL:A so they're gonna try and sell a fuck load of them

Nebulae
for vr im thinking:

index controllers + the vive headset and vive/index base stations

is this a wise choice? i seriously want to get the index controllers for the full finger control, and the vive headset is just because it’s a cheaper option compared to the index. secondly, should i wait for Black Friday? will vr prices go down at all?

also, is there actually a way to solely buy the vive headset, and not the full set? can’t find a standalone anywhere

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
for vr im thinking:

index controllers + the vive headset and vive/index base stations

is this a wise choice? i seriously want to get the index controllers for the full finger control, and the vive headset is just because it’s a cheaper option compared to the index. secondly, should i wait for Black Friday? will vr prices go down at all?

also, is there actually a way to solely buy the vive headset, and not the full set? can’t find a standalone anywhere
Best choice is probably to buy the 400 dollar vive and then the index controllers. That's what I've done. (Don't think the Index Base Stations are worth it.)

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
Aight, so I wanna know which VR headset I should get:

• I‘ve got enough room for the HTC Base Stations.
  • My PC is pretty much VR Ready.
  • The price of the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift S are good for me.
  • No, I‘m not buying a Mixed Reality Headset.
  • The Valve Index is too expensive.
  • The HTC Vive + Index Controllers are pretty expensive.
I‘m leaning towards the Oculus Rift S rn.

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
Aight, so I wanna know which VR headset I should get:

• I‘ve got enough room for the HTC Base Stations.
  • My PC is pretty much VR Ready.
  • The price of the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift S are good for me.
  • No, I‘m not buying a Mixed Reality Headset.
  • The Valve Index is too expensive.
  • The HTC Vive + Index Controllers are pretty expensive.
I‘m leaning towards the Oculus Rift S rn.
I’d recommend the HTC Vive due to the fact you get the base stations, plus if you ever want to upgrade to the Index / Index controllers it would be alot cheaper and the index controllers aren’t compatible with the Oculus.