Suggestion Changes to the way radio frequencies work

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Suggestion:

Do one of two things:

1. OOCly protect one resistance frequency.

or

2. Allow the combine frequency to be hacked.
Why it would be worth adding:

The frequency constantly getting compromised and changed is frankly just getting annoying. It takes one guy to run out and fuck up by him/herself for the entire resistance to be compromised. You can take a day off or two and the frequency will change about 2 to 3 times and it gets incredibly disorientating and difficult to manage.

We can’t compromise combine radio (despite the fact that the resistance is shown to be able to do that in half life 2) and so it just doesn’t make much sense to be constantly changing it all the time.

So either let us compromise the cp radio, or oocly protect ours as well.

Necessary content:

None

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Honestly speaking, I don't know why you guys care so much that one frequency is compromised, what about it?

The combine can have your names, what will they do, tag you anticitizens? Bring you in for interrogation?

Just meet in person before you attack, talk the plan in person and select a frequency that you will use during the operation, it's really that simple

Like this is something I've discussed with other rebels before but this is such a simple thing to do, 101 of any mission, setting up communications channels and pre-planning, not much tbf

It just feels like we're stuck with issues from cityRP that don't really exist

Reactions: List

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Honestly speaking, I don't know why you guys care so much that one frequency is compromised, what about it?

The combine can have your names, what will they do, tag you anticitizens? Bring you in for interrogation?

Just meet in person before you attack, talk the plan in person and select a frequency that you will use during the operation, it's really that simple

Like this is something I've discussed with other rebels before but this is such a simple thing to do, 101 of any mission, setting up communications channels and pre-planning, not much tbf

It just feels like we're stuck with issues from cityRP that don't really exist
You just named the problem straight away “meeting ic”.

How on earth can we do that when everyone else is on a different frequency because the frequency got compromised for the unteeth time in a week? We can’t meet up lol, its an essential part of resistance cross communication and a way for rebels to talk to each other in a wider sense.

It’s really annoying when what we use as a public frequency, which is only really used for defence and idle conversations, gets changed so many times.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
You just named the problem straight away “meeting ic”.

Call it on the public frequency. If you don't care if the public frequency is compromised, you don't have to change it. Just say where you're meeting, it's not like anything will happen unless you say "oh yeah we're by the combine docks".

everyone else is on a different frequency because the frequency got compromised for the unteeth time

Don't change the public one. I said it in the post.

It’s really annoying when what we use as a public frequency, which is only really used for defence and idle conversations, gets changed so many times.

Refer to the above.

Like the whole "change public because it was compromised" is a 150% City RP thing. It's not necessary anymore, you don't need to go to the city to take rations, the Combine doesn't need nor care about your real name, and so long as you guys meet in person and discuss the plan in person the Combine won't know what you're going to do.

"And what about when we go on the offensive? We can't communicate on that frequency."

Decide on a frequency those interested in fighting will use, once you're done with the fighting just return to the public one. Like flipping a switch.

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
oh yeah we're by the combine docks".
I disagree. Takes one smart cop to send a manhack with a mine that can go virtually anywhere, that or a scanner which blows up in your face.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I disagree. Takes one smart cop to send a manhack with a mine that can go virtually anywhere, that or a scanner which blows up in your face.

Kinda I guess. They can also deploy them and find you flying anyways, so it won't change much.

I mean I don't think there should be a problem by making a resistance frequency Combine players can't get. It can be an IC we change frequencies constantly thing.

There isn't much to be achieved through radio snooping nowadays and the whole interaction with the invaders on the compromised frequency isn't much of a thing at all.

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Honestly not a big fan, HL2 has always been about rebels being careful with what and how they manouver, always at the risk of being shutdown by the Combine. The server is set after Episode 2 and these precations still take place even in the deadset of the outlands.

CPs assign themselves to a PT squad radio just before they leave to go on a patrol, and I think rebels should try it as well. Meet up and tell people to join a frequency (like Jaggles suggested) which you will use for the duration of the mission. If you need a large-scale change of frequency use the public radio to meet up with heads and talk in person on the new frequency, etc.

And as for the screenshot thing, people in the group just need to be more careful posting that if they really deem it an issue.

Last edited:

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
dont mob everyone online into the same frequency

having constant, uninterrupted radio contact 24/7 isnt necessary. its a weird trend that slowly built up over time because people got complacent with how rebels were played. strip it back and actually go find people instead of treating the radio like a discord call. it takes away so much character interaction with people you never would have talked to otherwise

make it way easier to jam combine radios while youre at it

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
dont mob everyone online into the same frequency

having constant, uninterrupted radio contact 24/7 isnt necessary. its a weird trend that slowly built up over time because people got complacent with how rebels were played. strip it back and actually go find people instead of treating the radio like a discord call. it takes away so much character interaction with people you never would have talked to otherwise

make it way easier to jam combine radios while youre at it
In an ideal world yes but most radio co-ordination is used for defence which is where a common frequency comes in handy.

Went cant respond to bridge attacks in nearly enough time if someone doesnt radio in that its happening, and even then, better hope theyre on the right frequency otherwise we’ll get dropped on

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
In an ideal world yes but most radio co-ordination is used for defence which is where a common frequency comes in handy.

Went cant respond to bridge attacks in nearly enough time if someone doesnt radio in that its happening, and even then, better hope theyre on the right frequency otherwise we’ll get dropped on
im not saying you should cut out the radio in all circumstances. if there is an attack somewhere I obviously dont expect you to run around asking where joe is

mårten

Atom
Nebulae

great opportunity to have some runners no
1917 style
less fuckin go

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
This isnt a suggestion against radio snooping on the forums btw, thats metagame and breaking rules different barrel of fish n all

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
great opportunity to have some runners no
1917 style
less fuckin go
yesssss but theres limitations, plus for the time it takes someone to get to the facility, the pd, the depot and the houses the cops/ota already have the bridge and we’re doomed

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
im not saying you should cut out the radio in all circumstances. if there is an attack somewhere I obviously dont expect you to run around asking where joe is

A compromised frequency is a compromised frequency and we will always have to change it. Imagine cops are trying to do something sneaky, someone calls it on a compromised radio: boom cops know you know

which is why i say either let us snoop into cops radio, or protect our own to avoid the constant radio frequency change mess which is becoming a real headache

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
A compromised frequency is a compromised frequency and we will always have to change it. Imagine cops are trying to do something sneaky, someone calls it on a compromised radio: boom cops know you know

which is why i say either let us snoop into cops radio, or protect our own to avoid the constant radio frequency change mess which is becoming a real headache
sounds like an ic issue, protect your frequencies

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
sounds like an ic issue, protect your frequencies
Then might I ask why I cant mug a cop of his radio in the city if i capture him and listen into the combine chatter?

And its not an ic issue really, its a real headache trying to organise anything when nobody is “literally” on the same wavelength