Suggestion Changes to the way radio frequencies work

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Then might I ask why I cant mug a cop of his radio in the city if i capture him and listen into the combine chatter?

And its not an ic issue really, its a real headache trying to organise anything when nobody is “literally” on the same wavelength
because theyre the combine and thats the precedent thats been set since the conception of the faction

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
Then might I ask why I cant mug a cop of his radio in the city if i capture him and listen into the combine chatter?

And its not an ic issue really, its a real headache trying to organise anything when nobody is “literally” on the same wavelength
i honestly think it's an issue that could make for some interesting rp opportunities
word of mouth around rebels that gets the splintered groups to gather once a day to get the new frequency or something
having it oocly protected just feels like a cop-out, no?

Reactions: List

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
because theyre the combine and thats the precedent thats been set since the conception of the faction
in hl2 rebels are literally listening in to combine radio chatter
i honestly think it's an issue that could make for some interesting rp opportunities
word of mouth around rebels that gets the splintered groups to gather once a day to get the new frequency or something
having it oocly protected just feels like a cop-out, no?
no in my opinion it just cuts out unncessary headaches

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
in hl2 rebels are literally listening in to combine radio chatter

no in my opinion it just cuts out unncessary headaches
those unnecessary headaches are what separate the rebels from the combine though
aren't you still a largely unorganized fighting resistance

by giving the rebels one singular frequency that's oocly protected, rebels will slowly begin to become a single organized fighting force
a single... big faction

fighting another, single big faction

both on an equal level of organization
hmm where have i heard this concept before

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
those unnecessary headaches are what separate the rebels from the combine though
aren't you still a largely unorganized fighting resistance

by giving the rebels one singular frequency that's oocly protected, rebels will slowly begin to become a single organized fighting force
a single... big faction

fighting another, single big faction

both on an equal level of organization
hmm where have i heard this concept before
nah i disagree, just cos we can talk to each other better dont mean we’re gonna form up and be united as one just like that lol

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I’m sorry private radio frequencies feel like circlejerks n i dont like it

but you cant stop that one guy with a 9mm pistol and a radio running into the city and getting captured whilst having the frequency on

mårten

Atom
Nebulae

but you cant stop that one guy with a 9mm pistol and a radio running into the city and getting captured whilst having the frequency on
well that's how it is being rebels no? you could try to restrict people from doing that
and handle the IC consequences of people getting pissed off about it

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

not giving everyone a radio frequency except for the ones you trust the most from an ic perspective is how you get things done without having safety blankets

your options are to either give out your radio frequency to everyone and face the consequences of that decision, or dont give everyone the radio frequency except for the most trustworthy and face the consequences of that decision. nothing is going to get better if you keep making the barrier of entry easier and easier, how do you have drama between players if you're all one big happy family on your radio frequency that you know is safe?

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
idk why you guys think the one thing thats gonna united the worlds resistance into one is a common frequency lmao

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
idk why you guys think the one thing thats gonna united the worlds resistance into one is a common frequency lmao
solid communication is the first big step into unifying people
so yes, it's a very big step into uniting the worlds this limited resistance in the current area under one banner

mayhaps it's an idea for an IC goal - set up the ability for rebels to get a united, protected frequency by them taking over something/building something
but also make it possible for the combine to destroy said thing

perhaps the rebel group that is in control of said thing would be the ones with the biggest say in resistance politics, igniting a source for some interesting conflict

there are way more interesting ways you can do this than to just add an arbitrary OOC protection and script in a main frequency for rebels

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
idk bro half if not 80% of what people do these days is ask for the new frequency and it drives me loopy

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
idk bro half if not 80% of what people do these days is ask for the new frequency and it drives me loopy
that is not the fault of the game mechanics, but of your own ic actions

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
you could try to restrict people from doing that
In which case you'll have spiteful rebels who got slapped on the wrist thinking "Well now I'm going to be a snitch for the Combine" that'll start covertly leaking the frequency to Combine constantly. Which tracks, rebels aren't really required to have any moral backbone - but that just means if some of the genuinely foul ones get punished for their misdeeds, they have all the more reason to double down and be ten times more discreet about it.

(I have no thoughts to add to the main topic itself, just thought I'd chime in on a side caveat.)