Suggestion Changes to the way radio frequencies work

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Its an IC problem that you suffer heavily because of your inability to perform reasonable operational security

Reactions: List

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
Have a Radio that's listed on a sign at the 'Main' rebel Base that says "Radio 123.4 - ONLY USE WITHIN THE BASE"

and actively encourage people ICly not to fuck around with it. Meaning, Combine can't do shit because the people on the 'public radio' are in an OOC safezone. This freq can be for Trading, requests to meet up within the safe zone or general questions.

When you want to go outside that safe zone, establish a patrol frequency from the top of your head so it's impossible to find outside of meta.

It would be cool if the Radio could set an "Additional Channel" so you don't need to go back and fourth between the Public and Private Frequency.

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Sounds like an IC issue that you can’t cope with to me
Its an IC problem that you suffer heavily because of your inability to perform reasonable operational security
Making out like its my fault??

People like their public frequency and they give one out to each other, i have a private frequency that we use that we’ve had for a while but it doesn’t negate the fact that constantly changing the public frequency is just an annoyance that is silly to keep doing because one person fucks up

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
people saying having one frequency the rebels use is a bad idea

as if that's not what they've been doing for like the last decade

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

People like their public frequency and they give one out to each other, i have a private frequency that we use that we’ve had for a while but it doesn’t negate the fact that constantly changing the public frequency is just an annoyance that is silly to keep doing because one person fucks up
skill issue?

its an IC problem?

you want an OOC crutch when rebels already have a practically impenetrable OOC safe zone as well?

make up your own form of encryption or something, instead of plain english

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
skill issue?

its an IC problem?

you want an OOC crutch when rebels already have a practically impenetrable OOC safe zone as well?

make up your own form of encryption or something, instead of plain english
i just want rebels to be able to talk to each other - without a radio the map can feel a little empty

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I am against the idea of OOCly-protected channels overall.

I did propose that the rebels should invent some form of code phrases for rebel communications for two particular reasons: one of those reasons being that it is the simplest form of encryption (but not necessarily the most secure one), and it also enhances the ability to communicate information accurately. That's not to mention coming up with a Plan B, in the event said communication or code phrases were compromised.

Much like others, I would imagine the rebellion to be a faction made up of hundreds of cell groups all fighting for the same cause, if not, against a common enemy. Whether they are properly able to coordinate and conduct operations together is an entirely different question, and I believe the disorganised radio frequencies are a good example that reflects this particular statement.

With that being said, I do have a grudge against the fact that Combine communications appear impervious to having their communications compromised. Yes, the Combine communications should be a thing that is difficult to crack and decrypt much like the Enigma code during World War 2. However, it should not be treated as some untouchable and/or impenetrable piece of technology. This does not mean that the method to compromise said communications should be the same, i.e. recovering a frequency from a captured/dead unit.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Man I told you a simple solution you can use and others followed up on it:

- Main, public frequency that you don't care if its leaked or not. Why? Because 1. The combine doesn't care if they get your social security number no more and 2. They don't care about "yo let's talk" "hey how's your wife?" "want to go drink at Billy's?"

- Secondary, temporary frequency you guys agree on when you meet before a mission and you will use during that mission and nothing else. Doesn't matter if someone dies and they get it, because it's disposable.

Regarding responding to an attack, it doesn't matter if the enemy knows that you know since that will tell them their cover is blown and you may even avoid fighting if they decide to retreat. If your problem is you want to ambush them, radioing it in so a blob of 20 players comes over is not a good idea either, but you can use it to your advantage: Just wait until they're deep in mud and far from cover/protection to alert everyone so they're swarmed out of safety. Options are infinite to be honest, this is only off the top of my head.

TLDR is don't change the public frequency like we're in City iterations because it's truly unnecessary. Idk why you guys change it, why does the Combine care if my name is John Rebel and we're meeting at Tomboy Hooters.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
With that being said, I do have a grudge against the fact that Combine communications appear impervious to having their communications compromised. Yes, the Combine communications should be a thing that is difficult to crack and decrypt much like the Enigma code during World War 2. However, it should not be treated as some untouchable and/or impenetrable piece of technology. This does not mean that the method to compromise said communications should be the same, i.e. recovering a frequency from a captured/dead unit.

Sorry for double-posting but I had a small idea for this.

Would mean the use of stationary radios could be enhanced.

It's a draft in my brain, but using a dead CP you could tap into tac-3 for a set amount of time if you get a temporary decryption key and use it at a stationary radio.

It's just a draft, meaning it can be reshaped, but it gives stationaries use and helps the resistance have temporary access to enemy communications, even if OW will eventually reshuffle the encryption.

It's their reward for killing a cop (or if they kill OTA and recover the body, overwatch radio) and it would force the Combine to also do things like change to tac-5/pt radio before deploying, or using coded communications when they are comprised.

Raiden

cool cat
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

It's a draft in my brain, but using a dead CP you could tap into tac-3 for a set amount of time if you get a temporary decryption key and use it at a stationary radio.

It's just a draft, meaning it can be reshaped, but it gives stationaries use and helps the resistance have temporary access to enemy communications, even if OW will eventually reshuffle the encryption.

It's their reward for killing a cop (or if they kill OTA and recover the body, overwatch radio) and it would force the Combine to also do things like change to tac-5/pt radio before deploying, or using coded communications when they are comprised.
That’s basically similar to what I wanted really, if they can do it to us let us do it to them.

Ron

Developer
Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae

Even if rebels sat on TAC-3 24/7 it would do nothing since very little important information is transferred over it. They'd at most know a patrol is about to go out because we switch to PT radios once we actually leave.

almost as if rebels could have their own version of tac-3 (the public freq) and switch to separate frequencies when they go out . . . . . . . . .

nah, give them an OOC protected radio instead. Discourage actual thinking

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

This isn't how encryption of radios work - unless rebels magically acquire the decryption key and the ability to default the radio config within a very short timeframe

Rebels should employ signal jammers more often to paralyze combine communication, and change their own (unencrypted) radio communication more often - or apply self-made encryptions to overcome technological impairment according to the asymmetrical theme of the server

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
This isn't how encryption of radios work - unless rebels magically acquire the decryption key and the ability to default the radio config within a very short timeframe

Rebels should employ signal jammers more often to paralyze combine communication, and change their own (unencrypted) radio communication more often - or apply self-made encryptions to overcome technological impairment according to the asymmetrical theme of the server

I am aware it isn't, but I'm not aiming for ACRE2 in HL2RP either tbf, the idea was more of an oversimplification of a system to snoop momentarily into enemy comms.

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
There are so many ways to go on about compromising Combine communications, but it inevitably goes down to pinpointing their frequency and decrypting their transmissions. The process should be painfully difficult, but it should be equally rewarding. It should be one of those things that once you uncover it, you probably would not want to share with others out of fear of it being scrambled.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I am aware it isn't, but I'm not aiming for ACRE2 in HL2RP either tbf, the idea was more of an oversimplification of a system to snoop momentarily into enemy comms.
But if they have systems available that completely disable the enemy's ability to communicate effectively, and have the ability themselves through pure ingenuity, to manufacture their own encryption - then both factions would be on equal footing communication wise no?

Rebels can only be listened in on, because they actively let us do it with ease

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae

it is your fault. you are not adapting. instead you demand accommodations.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I think it is miles more rewarding to let people develop their own counters to strategies employed by the opposing side IC, rather than giving OOC crutches out like free candy

Adapt, teach yourselves new things and avoid making mistakes like that by using basic thought to overcome a very easy thing to defeat

use CAESAR, location name changes, internally agreed upon synonyms for locations, codewords for specific actions etc

Practically every criminal organization in the world does it with great effect in the more organized establishments