News City 8 V4lentines Gift

Inaudible™

Karl-Police Approved
Nebulae
Maybe they should Japanese translation on top of the posters and then the English on the bottom, it is Tokyo.
Or vice versa whatever

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
Just so you guys know, because Gary is a fucking LUA wizard we can change the posters on the fly without changing the map. I’ll look into adding Japanese translations but the posters are probably too small to add more text to now.

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Just so you guys know, because Gary is a fucking LUA wizard we can change the posters on the fly without changing the map. I’ll look into adding Japanese translations but the posters are probably too small to add more text to now.
@Gary the mad-lad.

Reactions: List
Nebulae
in my personal view; CP propaganda posters are absolutely pointless to make or put on (and union factions to some extent).

the force needs no advertisement. no amount of 'we are the good guys we protect you' is going to change anyone's opinion on it. we already know what CP is, what it does, and why you should like/dislike them. it takes up space without providing any roleplay value back

posters should be made for more nuanced and player made initiatives - gangs and political groups. poster spaces should be reserved for these things to be added and removed as we see fit, and default map posters should be ones that blend into the setting without being too intrusive; the previous posters are just fine for this.

this isn't to say you haven't put effort into gathering these images and placing them properly and we don't appreciate it, you have and we do, but i disagree with the change in the first place

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
the force needs no advertisement. no amount of 'we are the good guys we protect you' is going to change anyone's opinion on it. it takes up space without providing any roleplay value back
Yet it is still a primary driving force of the Union and a prime pool of candidates for the transhumanization program (Particularly the part pertaining OTA).

I believe it's entertaining and very well a must to still see posters advertising the Civil Protection as the good guys or protectors of civilization. In the end I do agree that it shouldn't be an overbearing amount and at best (depending on the number of posters in the map/city) should have about 1-2 posters city-wide.

Nebulae
Yet it is still a primary driving force of the Union and a prime pool of candidates for the transhumanization program (Particularly the part pertaining OTA).

I believe it's entertaining and very well a must to still see posters advertising the Civil Protection as the good guys or protectors of civilization. In the end I do agree that it shouldn't be an overbearing amount and at best (depending on the number of posters in the map/city) should have about 1-2 posters city-wide.

and? does failing to include (most of the time, in every example ive seen since i17) vaguely worded and unconvincing propaganda posters for CPs suddenly mean people forget their overbearing presence in combine urban centers?

if they are so central to the war machine, propaganda should not be necessary. CPs are one of the things everyone who has played HL2 knows - its the playermade shit they need to be better acquainted with

at the very least the poster shouldnt be plastered on a building with legally questionable dealings

D

Deleted member 7099

in my personal view; CP propaganda posters are absolutely pointless to make or put on (and union factions to some extent).

the force needs no advertisement. no amount of 'we are the good guys we protect you' is going to change anyone's opinion on it. we already know what CP is, what it does, and why you should like/dislike them. it takes up space without providing any roleplay value back

posters should be made for more nuanced and player made initiatives - gangs and political groups. poster spaces should be reserved for these things to be added and removed as we see fit, and default map posters should be ones that blend into the setting without being too intrusive; the previous posters are just fine for this.

this isn't to say you haven't put effort into gathering these images and placing them properly and we don't appreciate it, you have and we do, but i disagree with the change in the first place
youre talking about my 'help us help you' thing
i just thought it looked cool. i intended it to be put more into the main city and not on the apartment like where it is now but eh? idunno
the other ones i made were meant to be more 'obscure', not really advertising one specific thing but moreso just to blend in well with the neon tokyo environment, like the nekonekoneko kitten one what walgreens pointed out. i didnt wanna make any for specific rebel groups because 1. they come and go so quickly and 2. it would feel unfair to advertise one person's gang but not another's, nobody's group is more important than another's so really if i made 1 i feel like i'd have to make em all

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
and? does failing to include (most of the time, in every example ive seen since i17) vaguely worded and unconvincing propaganda posters for CPs suddenly mean people forget their overbearing presence in combine urban centers?

if they are so central to the war machine, propaganda should not be necessary. CPs are one of the things everyone who has played HL2 knows - its the playermade shit they need to be better acquainted with

at the very least the poster shouldnt be plastered on a building with legally questionable dealings
Like I said, I don't disagree with your point (at-least I don't think I'm disagreeing).

In general, I'd imagine the best location for such a poster would be near the plaza (a.k.a where the hologram union logo is) and just have 1 poster there seeing as it the closest you'll get to the center of the city and let's be honest nearly no one really goes there.

Also on that topic, @Ricsow or @Gary can the posters in the server contain gifs so that advertisements on screen can cycle through multiple?

walgreens

Electron
Nebulae
isnt one of the tenants of combine propaganda that its supposed to be subtle?

Half Life 2: Raising the Bar - Randy Lundeen said:
It was also fairly obvious for the team that the Combine did not need to rely on subtle messaging to achieve their ends, resulting in the more abstract posters seen in the final game

Nebulae
youre talking about my 'help us help you' thing
i just thought it looked cool. i intended it to be put more into the main city and not on the apartment like where it is now but eh? idunno
the other ones i made were meant to be more 'obscure', not really advertising one specific thing but moreso just to blend in well with the neon tokyo environment, like the nekonekoneko kitten one what walgreens pointed out. i didnt wanna make any for specific rebel groups because 1. they come and go so quickly and 2. it would feel unfair to advertise one person's gang but not another's, nobody's group is more important than another's so really if i made 1 i feel like i'd have to make em all

im talking about that but im also talking about the prevalence of random CP posters since i17 (like this giant one that used to replace the Ravoux poster after it was gone) and to some extent im talking about the Union faction posters because they inexplicably take me out of the world but i cant put into words why yet

im not saying make perma posters on map for playermade groups, but reserve some space for those images to be added and removed while the map is running as we see fit/make posters that arent so preavlent that it can be overrided with these images

but also hopefully have that particular poster moved yes

like a lot of these playermade pro-combine posters are very well done visually but dont convey the right rhetoric because the audience of roleplay is always changing so it comes off invariably out of place

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
Like I said, I don't disagree with your point (at-least I don't think I'm disagreeing).

In general, I'd imagine the best location for such a poster would be near the plaza (a.k.a where the hologram union logo is) and just have 1 poster there seeing as it the closest you'll get to the center of the city and let's be honest nearly no one really goes there.

Also on that topic, @Ricsow or @Gary can the posters in the server contain gifs so that advertisements on screen can cycle through multiple?
All of mine are gifs

The cycling through is wanted Gary wanted to do with the posters aswell

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
i think people overanalyze stuff and need to realize 98% of people dont care and its just there for worldbuilding i mean we’ve had combine/CP posters since forever

D

Deleted member 7099

im talking about that but im also talking about the prevalence of random CP posters since i17 (like this giant one that used to replace the Ravoux poster after it was gone) and to some extent im talking about the Union faction posters because they inexplicably take me out of the world but i cant put into words why yet

im not saying make perma posters on map for playermade groups, but reserve some space for those images to be added and removed while the map is running as we see fit/make posters that arent so preavlent that it can be overrided with these images

but also hopefully have that particular poster moved yes

like a lot of these playermade pro-combine posters are very well done visually but dont convey the right rhetoric because the audience of roleplay is always changing so it comes off invariably out of place
fair ig, i only made 1 cop poster and idk if there's anymore. in original city 8 there were a shit ton of really weird cop posters that i felt were a little too much
fun fact: that cat poster is actually replacing a cop poster i'm pretty sure, in original city 8 there was some edgy ass scrolling poster that was like "CITY 8 RIOT CONTROL" with actual footage of a riot or some shit. so i just flipped it and made one that's just the words NEKONEKONEKONEKONEKO over and over next to a picture of a cat. very clever i know

walgreens

Electron
Nebulae
i think people overanalyze stuff and need to realize 98% of people dont care and its just there for worldbuilding i mean we’ve had combine/CP posters since forever
Yeah
also the original c8 had a cop poster but it was alot more obscure/hard to see bcus of compression

D

Deleted member 7099

alright before i start overposting on this thread i'll put almost every poster i made for the map, might've missed some
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

( i didnt design this one, just edited it to look like a neon buildboard )
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
Here‘s a compilation of the stuff I made for the map btw:
0yMcl9.gif

0yMx4C.gif

image0.gif

image0.gif
0h9YP3.gif
0h9PhA.gif
image0.gif
image0.gif
image0.png
I went with a intrusive and eye-catching style here because Gary wanted us to make Cyberpunk-esque posters.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
very cool very sexy
Will we get ArcCW with the map change ;w;